Frames with no borders, just one seamless colour across the whole window

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Roger Withnell, Jan 25, 2007.

  1. The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page.

    I want to have one background colour, no borders, one seamless colour across
    the whole window.

    I am using CSS in the body tag of the pages in the frames to set the
    background colour.

    This gives my seamless colour across the whole window. But the default page
    does not pass the W3C HTML validator test because I am using framespacing=no
    and frameborder=0 in the top frameset tag.

    If I remove framespacing=no and frameborder=0 from the top frameset tag to
    pass the W3C I get a white gap between all the frames.

    How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
    seamless colour across the whole window?

    Thanking you in anticipation.

    http://www.usenet.com

    Roger Withnell, Jan 25, 2007

  2. Re: Frames with no borders, just one seamless colour across the wholewindow

    Roger Withnell wrote:
    > The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page.
    >
    > I want to have one background colour, no borders, one seamless colour across
    > the whole window.
    >
    > I am using CSS in the body tag of the pages in the frames to set the
    > background colour.
    >
    > This gives my seamless colour across the whole window. But the default page
    > does not pass the W3C HTML validator test because I am using framespacing=no
    > and frameborder=0 in the top frameset tag.
    >
    > If I remove framespacing=no and frameborder=0 from the top frameset tag to
    > pass the W3C I get a white gap between all the frames.
    >
    > How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
    > seamless colour across the whole window?

    Rodger, this gets asked here no less that 20 times a month. Best answer,
    do not use frames. Include for common parts of each page, (header,
    footer, navbar) with some version of sever side includes!

    Of the million examples once can find Googling, this one see good enough

    http://www.boutell.com/newfaq/creating/include.html

    > Thanking you in anticipation.

    BTW, on Usenet please fix your "signature" by prefacing with signature
    marker:

    [hyphen][hyphen][space][carriage return]

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jan 25, 2007

  3. Roger Withnell wrote:

    > The frames are a header, footer left side navbar and a main page. ...

    Please save yourself the aggravation.

    > How do I get the best of both worlds: pass the validator test and a
    > seamless colour across the whole window?

    <http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/two-columns/final.htm>
    which is from
    <http://www.maxdesign.com.au/presentation/page_layouts/>

    or