Frameset Borders

Discussion in 'HTML' started by eric.olstad@gmail.com, Aug 30, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just thought I'd post this for any that care. I'm sure it has been
    explained before.

    This topic deals with the differences in framesets between IE (Internet
    Explorer) and Firefox.

    Why framesets?
    Well they may be a pain to program with, but they provide a nice
    interface.

    I recently spend a handful of minutes trying to determine the
    differences between how IE handles framesets versus how Firefox does.

    Framesets have a few non-standard properties that are relevant here.

    frameborder
    framespacing
    border
    bordercolor

    These attributes are not documented on W3C, but firefox and IE both
    understand them.

    frameborder
    This attribute tells the browser to render a border on the frames or
    not. It can have a value of 0 or 1. 0 = hide borders, 1 = show
    borders

    framespacing
    This attribute is only understood by IE. It tells the browser how wide
    to render the borders. A wider border is easier to grab if the frames
    allow resize.

    border
    This attribute is understood by IE and Firefox. However, IE will
    override this value if the framespacing value is present.

    bordercolor
    This attribute tells the browser to render the borders with the given
    color.

    Then, on top of that IE actually renders the borders a few pixels wider
    than Firefox. So a border="5" will render at around 7 or 8 on IE and 5
    on Firefox. We can actually use these incompatibilities to our
    advantage. Take the following HTML:

    <frameset rows="80px,*" frameborder="1" framespacing="3" border="5"
    bordercolor="#C00000">
    <frame noresize="noresize" bordercolor="#C00000" />
    <frameset cols="100px, *">
    <frame />
    <frame />
    </frameset>
    </frameset>

    This will render borders of equal sizes on both browsers. Also, it is
    important to note that though these attributes are properties of the
    frame element, the browsers recognize them fine on the frameset
    element. Any frames or framesets child to a frameset inherit its
    properties. So adding these attributes to the root frameset
    effectively gives us the options we want.

    Go here to test this:
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tryit.asp?filename=tryhtml_frame_cols

    Hope this helped someone...

    , Aug 30, 2006

  2. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > I just thought I'd post this for any that care. I'm sure it has been
    > explained before.
    >

    > This topic deals with the differences in framesets between IE (Internet
    > Explorer) and Firefox.

    Put the info at a URL and leave it there for those who are
    interested in the quirks of frames, can bookmark it etc. Set up a
    form for feedback in case you need to improve the info. Just
    check that the issues and info is not set out in other
    established tutes... and, I suppose, to spoil the party a bit,
    read up on the disrepute that this fine form is in these days...

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 30, 2006

    > Put the info at a URL and leave it there for those who are
    > interested in the quirks of frames, can bookmark it etc. Set up a
    > form for feedback in case you need to improve the info. Just
    > check that the issues and info is not set out in other
    > established tutes... and, I suppose, to spoil the party a bit,
    > read up on the disrepute that this fine form is in these days...
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Yeah that was another option. Google retains these usenet topics long
    after they've been removed from usenet. So this will be searchable for
    some time to come. Thanks for the feedback though.

    , Aug 31, 2006