    of my mainFrame.

    Thanks,

    John

    John Smith, Feb 7, 2004

  2. John Smith <> wrote:

    > Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
    > frameset doesn't work properly?

    I don't think you really want to know that... But here's a starter:

    FRAME: topFrame
    FRAME: leftFrame
    FRAME: mainFrame

    If this is what your browser spoke to you, what idea would you get
    about the site, and which of the frames would you select?

    Read my lips: no frames. No, I don't mean <noframes> (though it would
    mean a marginal improvement).

    > When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens
    > instead of my mainFrame.

    This is somewhat obscure, but browsers are known to treat frame names
    as case sensitive. You have use name="mainFrame" in the <frame> tag but
    target="mainframe" in some links, and popular browsers then regard
    "mainframe" as a new name and create a new window. On IE 6, if you only
    follow links with target="mainFrame", they open in the frame, but - for
    some odd reason - once you have followed a link with target="mainframe"
    and thereby created a new window, then even the links with the right
    spelling start opening new windows. This normally does not happen
    (normally browsers re-use the newly opened window when you follow links
    with the same target attribute value), so I'm a bit puzzled.

    But if you stop using frames, you stop creating problems like that. You
    don't need any fancy navigation. Just a handful of links on the main
    page, and links back to the main page from the subpages.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 7, 2004

  3. John Smith wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
    > frameset doesn't work properly?
    >
    > When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens
    > instead of my mainFrame.

    Frame names/targets are case-sensitive, so be sure you are consistent.
    From the code of your menu:
    a href="nl/search.aspx" target="mainframe"
    search.aspx (Zoek & Boek) is the only page that opens in a new window, the
    others have the right "target".

    Of course, all those problems can be avoided by not using frames...

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.online.no/~ingerfaj/

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Feb 7, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Steve R. Guest

    John Smith wrote in message ...
    > Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
    > frameset doesn't work properly?
    > When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens instead
    > of my mainFrame.

    The name of your Frame in the HTML is mainFrame.

    But your link in your menu points to target="mainframe"

    If you change that in your menu to target= "mainFrame" it will work :~)

    Just a case of a *CAPITAL* F.

    Steve R., Feb 8, 2004
  5. John Smith

    Zak McGregor Guest

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 01:14:53 +0200, John Smith <"John Smith"
    <>> wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
    > frameset doesn't work properly?
    >
    > When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens instead
    > of my mainFrame.

    You forgot the First Rule of Frames: don't use them!

    Ciao

    Zak

    http://www.carfolio.com/ Searchable database of 10 000+ car specs

    Zak McGregor, Feb 9, 2004