Frameset problem, help!

John Smith

Hi there,

Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
frameset doesn't work properly?

When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens instead
of my mainFrame.

Thanks,

John

Jukka K. Korpela

John Smith said:
Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
frameset doesn't work properly?

I don't think you really want to know that... But here's a starter:

FRAME: topFrame
FRAME: leftFrame
FRAME: mainFrame

If this is what your browser spoke to you, what idea would you get
about the site, and which of the frames would you select?

When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens
instead of my mainFrame.

This is somewhat obscure, but browsers are known to treat frame names
as case sensitive. You have use name="mainFrame" in the <frame> tag but
target="mainframe" in some links, and popular browsers then regard
"mainframe" as a new name and create a new window. On IE 6, if you only
follow links with target="mainFrame", they open in the frame, but - for
some odd reason - once you have followed a link with target="mainframe"
and thereby created a new window, then even the links with the right
spelling start opening new windows. This normally does not happen
(normally browsers re-use the newly opened window when you follow links
with the same target attribute value), so I'm a bit puzzled.

But if you stop using frames, you stop creating problems like that. You
don't need any fancy navigation. Just a handful of links on the main
page, and links back to the main page from the subpages.

Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen

John said:
Hi there,

Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
frameset doesn't work properly?

When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens
instead of my mainFrame.

Frame names/targets are case-sensitive, so be sure you are consistent.
From the code of your menu:
a href="nl/search.aspx" target="mainframe"
search.aspx (Zoek & Boek) is the only page that opens in a new window, the
others have the right "target".

Of course, all those problems can be avoided by not using frames...

Steve R.

John Smith wrote in message ...
Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
frameset doesn't work properly?
When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens instead
of my mainFrame.

The name of your Frame in the HTML is mainFrame.

But your link in your menu points to target="mainframe"

If you change that in your menu to target= "mainFrame" it will work :~)

Just a case of a *CAPITAL* F.

Zak McGregor

Hi there,

Can someone analyse my website www.elmiri.com and tell me why my
frameset doesn't work properly?

When I click on the links in the left frame, a new window opens instead
of my mainFrame.

You forgot the First Rule of Frames: don't use them!

Ciao

Zak