    Thanks!
    christine

    , May 10, 2007

  2. Neredbojias Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 19:43:11 GMT scribed:

    > Hi; I'm working on a frameset site for a class final project and I've
    > got two fairly big problems: the first is that there does not seem to
    > be any ww3-valid way to make the ugly gray frame-lines vanish.
    >
    > The bigger deal is that one of my frames is sort of intermittently
    > unreactive only in ie6. The design is such that I have a nav frame and
    > a content frame on a site displaying art pieces as images. When I
    > navigate to text-only pagges, they display with no problem in my
    > "main" content slot. However, NONE of the image pages will appear in
    > that slot. Even when I view the source of that frame only, the code is
    > all still there and all correct, and the background styles itself
    > according to my css rules, but neither the text or images of the image
    > html docs will appear only in IE6, only in that frame. yikes! Has
    > anyone run into anything similar? A co-worker strongly recommended I
    > come to you.

    The answer is, of course, that you probably made a mistake. However,
    without a url to look at, helping you would probably be a pointless and
    frustrating endeavor.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, May 10, 2007

    of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
    www.chrisbean.notlong.com

    It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
    it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
    help is adored.

    , May 11, 2007
  4. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > www.chrisbean.notlong.com

    Browsers are all over the place with frames and their borders. It
    is a black art. Your instructions in the frameset are deprecated
    or not allowed for the doctype used. Some browsers show the
    borders and some don't.

    In some browsers I would say that something like this will get
    you no borders:

    frameset, frame {border: 4px solid red;}

    Put this in the head.

    And, btw, why not also add:

    img {border: 0;}

    in the above style to be rid of ugly borders that go around some
    of your left navigation links in some browsers (Firefox eg)

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 11, 2007
  5. wrote:

    > of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
    > www.chrisbean.notlong.com
    >
    > It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
    > it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
    > help is adored.

    If you have to do it for an assignment, go ahead, but then forget all
    about framed sites the next day.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 11, 2007
  6. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    dorayme <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > www.chrisbean.notlong.com

    > Browsers are all over the place with frames and their borders. It
    > is a black art. Your instructions in the frameset are deprecated
    > or not allowed for the doctype used. Some browsers show the
    > borders and some don't.
    >
    > In some browsers I would say that something like this will get
    > you no borders:

    > frameset, frame {border: 4px solid red;}

    Oops, I was testing, sorry, and forgot to change my text back to,
    of course, {border: 0}

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 11, 2007
  7. John Hosking Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi; I'm working on a frameset site for a class final project and I've
    > got two fairly big problems

    You mean besides the one you already mentioned

    > : the first is that there does not seem to
    > be any ww3-valid way to make the ugly gray frame-lines vanish.

    Have you tried with the frameborder="0" moved to the <frame> element
    where it belongs?

    Also, the framespacing attribute is deprecated for XHTML 1.0, so if you
    want one, you'll have to drop the other (or stop worrying about
    conformance). I don't know what your course requirements are, but maybe
    (unlikely though it is) IE is messed up from invalid coding. "Border"
    doesn't seem to be valid for frames either, but don't quote me on that
    one; I just haven't found it in my hurried dash through the W3C specs.
    Caveat: I last touched frames in the previous millenium, and didn't
    exactly enjoy them much back then, either.

    > The bigger deal is that one of my frames is sort of intermittently
    > unreactive only in ie6. The design is such that I have a nav frame and
    > a content frame on a site displaying art pieces as images. When I
    > navigate to text-only pagges, they display with no problem in my
    > "main" content slot. However, NONE of the image pages will appear in
    > that slot. Even when I view the source of that frame only, the code is
    > all still there and all correct, and the background styles itself
    > according to my css rules, but neither the text or images of the image
    > html docs will appear only in IE6, only in that frame.

    I understand & see this problem in my IE6 (after a couple of attempts
    and re-reading your description twice), but can't explain it or help
    you. Sorry.

    > A co-worker strongly recommended I come to you.

    Suggest to your boss that that co-worker be fired. ;-)

    HTH, somehow. GL!
    --
    John

    John Hosking, May 11, 2007
  8. Neredbojias Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:05:35 GMT scribed:

    > of course. It's buried deep in a school server, so I made this:
    > www.chrisbean.notlong.com
    >
    > It's really silly, I should have done fake frameset look with css, but
    > it's due tomorrow, so no time to rearchitect the entire thing. Any
    > help is adored.

    I think the problem ultimately is that you are using pngs, which sometimes
    display improperly in ie6. Using invisible-background gifs will allow the
    page background to show through clearly.

    --
    Neredbojias

    Neredbojias, May 11, 2007