Framesets ?

vivekaseeja

Hi,

I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.

Thanks in advance,
vivekian

Michael Hedinger

Forgot the question :) ..how do i do this ?

how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

or are you asking about PHP? that the right frame page is ONE .php file
which changes it's content when you click on a link on the left side?

tbar

Usually you add something like...

target="right_frame"

....to all the links in the left frame.

dorayme

Hi,

I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.

Thanks in advance,
vivekian

The right hand side is a frame in which appear different html
pages. If there are links in the left frame, clicking one of them
can make a particular html page appear in the right frame. The
magic of frames you see...

As for hiding, it is part of the magic, a deep part. When a
particular html page is not being called, it sits patiently on
the server, a bit like a shy girl on a dance floor waitting for
someone to ask her to dance. By not being called, she is not
present on the dance floor.

How to do things with frames? Why not take a look at
http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html

But be bloody quick before spoilsports put you right off them...
or you will miss out on some genuinely good fun... they are hated
with a passion around here.

Jeremy Brown

Try this for your home page:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

<head >
<title>
My Site- Home.
</title>

<!--Begin Style and Script Configuration-->

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
href="your_css_here.css" /> <!--Sets the style sheet-->
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /> <!--Sets the icon in the
address bar-->
<!--Sets your default character set-->
the default scripting language-->

<!--End Style and Script Configuration-->

</head >

<frameset border="0" cols="20%,*"> <!--Defines the frameset configuration,
in this case two columns-->
<frame id="navigation" src="nav-pane.html" title="Navigation Page"
scrolling="no" /> <!--the navigation pane is configured here-->
<frame id="content" src="home-pane.html" /> <!--the content pane is
configured here-->

<noframes> <!--Sets up no frames navigation-->
No frames version
</a>
</noframes>

</frameset>

Jeremy

Brian Cryer

Hi,

I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.

Thanks in advance,
vivekian

If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of the
frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would want
framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take you
back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but not
then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.

Paul Watt

http://www.paulwatt.info
Brian Cryer said:
If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of
the frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would
want framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take
you back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but
not then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.

Trying to resist, resist,resist.
FRAMES ARE EVIL!
Couldn't resist in the end.

vivekaseeja

Michael said:
how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?

thanks ..
vivekian

Harlan Messinger

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?

Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame, why
are you using a frameset at all? I'm asking because if you have some
other reason, that could affect the answer to your question.

vivekaseeja

Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame, why
are you using a frameset at all? I'm asking because if you have some
other reason, that could affect the answer to your question.

You are right , there is no strong reason for using a frameset. I could
do without them.

thanks..

Jonathan N. Little

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page.

Aside of the frame issue, why *must* the content frame be *one*
document? Would you read a novel where all 400+ pages were on on
monstrous page? Like the physical example of a page the size of several
football fields a website all on one huge document is equally hard to
handle because the whole document must be downloaded to be views, even
if only a small portion is visible at one time. The proper method is to
divide up your content into logical, digestible, chunks as separate html
documents and link them together with links. You know, like a web...
So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?

Of course a URL would go a long way in helping us to discover what you
really are trying to accomplish.

pegasusflightresources

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?

thanks ..
vivekian

Dear sir,
Content being hidden or unhidden? The concept of the frameset will
give you the ability to view a web page in one of the frames, and be
able to change it with the use of targets and links on the other frame.
You could have the left frame use the GET method (except not through
natural methods, just creating a URL that is basically the GET method)
and then have the right frame have an onLoad function that deciphers
this GET info and changes the page dynamically through specific
variables given in the GET transmission. This can all be achieved
through JavaScript, or through PHP (but PHP is a bit harder with these
functions, so it should primarily be used if JavaScript is disabled).
You could possibly show or hide content using some kind of Ajax or
dynamic functions in JavaScript, or even DHTML, but I do not know these
proficiently, so you are on your own to figure those out.

I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
against the King.

Chaddy2222

Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
be a single html page which will show different html content depending
upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
unhide ?
Hmmmm, to do that normally, you would need more then one HTML File to
link to. Or you could use named anchors to link to specific sections of
the page, but that may or may not be a good solution.
A way you could do is if to use Server side includes, you would use CSS
to style your pages and use some include, to baysicly retrieve the
required content from a Database. This means that when I link is
clicked that the page is generated dynamically.
You could use a CMS to do this, you need PHP or some other language and
MySQL though.
Alternitively, just use a stylesheet and create your pages, useing some
simple HTML to help bring the pages in to shape, CSS is good as it's
powerfull and you can design your pages how you want and make changes
easily.
Check out my new design.
In my Sig below.

I hope that helps.

Jonathan N. Little

Please do suggest an alternative .

thanks..
Insert your navigation menu via SSI or PHP (or other server-side
scripting) includes

<?php include_once('myNavMenu.php); ?>
....rest of document...

vivekaseeja

Chaddy2222 said:
Hmmmm, to do that normally, you would need more then one HTML File to
link to. Or you could use named anchors to link to specific sections of
the page, but that may or may not be a good solution.
A way you could do is if to use Server side includes, you would use CSS
to style your pages and use some include, to baysicly retrieve the
required content from a Database. This means that when I link is
clicked that the page is generated dynamically.
You could use a CMS to do this, you need PHP or some other language and
MySQL though.
Alternitively, just use a stylesheet and create your pages, useing some
simple HTML to help bring the pages in to shape, CSS is good as it's
powerfull and you can design your pages how you want and make changes
easily.

Would like to stick to simple HTML and CSS. Dont want to use any server
side scripting at present. Named anchors sound like a good idea but how
do hide them and show them only when desired ? Is this possible through
DHTML ?

thanks..
vivekian

dorayme

Harlan Messinger said:
The right hand side has to

Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame

How did you conclude this from what the OP said? He used the word
"different"

dorayme

You are right , there is no strong reason for using a frameset. I could
do without them.

thanks..

It is not right at all. It may be right that you should not use
frames but not for the reason that you will not have different
htmls in the right side, you have already said that if a viewer
clicks on a link on the left frame, different content (html) will
appear in the right.

This is an Alice in Wonderland thread.