    Thanks in advance,
    vivekian

    , Jun 14, 2006

    Forgot the question :) ..how do i do this ?

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
    > has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
    > need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
    > page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > vivekian

    , Jun 14, 2006

  3. schrieb:
    > Forgot the question :) ..how do i do this ?
    >
    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
    >> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
    >> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
    >> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> vivekian

    how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    or are you asking about PHP? that the right frame page is ONE .php file
    which changes it's content when you click on a link on the left side?

    Michael Hedinger, Jun 14, 2006
  4. tbar Guest

    Usually you add something like...

    target="right_frame"

    ....to all the links in the left frame.

    tbar, Jun 14, 2006
  5. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
    > has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
    > need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
    > page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > vivekian

    The right hand side is a frame in which appear different html
    pages. If there are links in the left frame, clicking one of them
    can make a particular html page appear in the right frame. The
    magic of frames you see...

    As for hiding, it is part of the magic, a deep part. When a
    particular html page is not being called, it sits patiently on
    the server, a bit like a shy girl on a dance floor waitting for
    someone to ask her to dance. By not being called, she is not
    present on the dance floor.

    How to do things with frames? Why not take a look at
    http://wp.netscape.com/assist/net_sites/frames.html

    But be bloody quick before spoilsports put you right off them...
    or you will miss out on some genuinely good fun... they are hated
    with a passion around here.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 14, 2006
  6. Jeremy Brown Guest

    Try this for your home page:

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">

    <head >
    <title>
    My Site- Home.
    </title>

    <!--Begin Style and Script Configuration-->

    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
    href="your_css_here.css" /> <!--Sets the style sheet-->
    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" /> <!--Sets the icon in the
    address bar-->
    <!--Sets your default character set-->
    the default scripting language-->

    <!--End Style and Script Configuration-->

    </head >

    <frameset border="0" cols="20%,*"> <!--Defines the frameset configuration,
    in this case two columns-->
    <frame id="navigation" src="nav-pane.html" title="Navigation Page"
    scrolling="no" /> <!--the navigation pane is configured here-->
    <frame id="content" src="home-pane.html" /> <!--the content pane is
    configured here-->

    <noframes> <!--Sets up no frames navigation-->
    No frames version
    </a>
    </noframes>

    </frameset>

    Jeremy

    --
    Visit my Saab & me at:
    http://jerem43.home.att.net

    Jeremy Brown, Jun 15, 2006
  7. Brian Cryer Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
    > has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
    > need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
    > page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > vivekian

    If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of the
    frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would want
    framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take you
    back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but not
    then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jun 15, 2006
  8. Paul Watt Guest

    http://www.paulwatt.info
    "Brian Cryer" <brian.cryer@127.0.0.1.ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have a web page where there are two frames. The left hand side frame
    >> has a list. When a row in a list is clicked, the other frame's contents
    >> need to be changed. The right hand frame needs to be a single html
    >> page, so i imagine have to hide and unhide content somehow.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> vivekian

    > If you use a frameset then be aware that some visitors will jump out of
    > the frameset - or be directed by search engines to pages that you would
    > want framed. One way round that is to include a link on each page to take
    > you back to your homepage - you don't want someone to arrive at a page but
    > not then be able to navigate to the rest of your site.
    > --
    > Brian Cryer
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Trying to resist, resist,resist.
    FRAMES ARE EVIL!
    Couldn't resist in the end.
    --
    Cheers

    Paul

    Paul Watt, Jun 15, 2006
  9. Brian Cryer Guest

    "Paul Watt" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > Trying to resist, resist,resist.
    > FRAMES ARE EVIL!
    > Couldn't resist in the end.

    Not sure about "evil" - but I certainly try to avoid them.
    --
    Brian Cryer
    www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    Brian Cryer, Jun 15, 2006

    Michael Hedinger wrote:

    > how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    > html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    > href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    > to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
    be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
    all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
    content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
    clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
    unhide ?

    thanks ..
    vivekian

    , Jun 15, 2006

    > Trying to resist, resist,resist.
    > FRAMES ARE EVIL!

    Please do suggest an alternative .

    thanks..

    , Jun 15, 2006
  12. wrote:
    > Michael Hedinger wrote:
    >
    >> how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    >> html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    >> href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    >> to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    > Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
    > be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    > upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
    > all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
    > content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
    > clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
    > unhide ?

    Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame, why
    are you using a frameset at all? I'm asking because if you have some
    other reason, that could affect the answer to your question.

    Harlan Messinger, Jun 15, 2006

    > Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame, why
    > are you using a frameset at all? I'm asking because if you have some
    > other reason, that could affect the answer to your question.

    You are right , there is no strong reason for using a frameset. I could
    do without them.

    thanks..

    , Jun 15, 2006
  14. wrote:
    > Michael Hedinger wrote:
    >
    >> how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    >> html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    >> href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    >> to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    > Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
    > be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    > upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
    > all the html content has to be a single html page.

    Aside of the frame issue, why *must* the content frame be *one*
    document? Would you read a novel where all 400+ pages were on on
    monstrous page? Like the physical example of a page the size of several
    football fields a website all on one huge document is equally hard to
    handle because the whole document must be downloaded to be views, even
    if only a small portion is visible at one time. The proper method is to
    divide up your content into logical, digestible, chunks as separate html
    documents and link them together with links. You know, like a web...

    > So i imagine the
    > content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
    > clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
    > unhide ?

    Of course a URL would go a long way in helping us to discover what you
    really are trying to accomplish.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 15, 2006

    wrote:
    > Michael Hedinger wrote:
    >
    > > how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    > > html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    > > href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    > > to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    > Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
    > be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    > upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
    > all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
    > content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
    > clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
    > unhide ?
    >
    > thanks ..
    > vivekian

    Dear sir,
    Content being hidden or unhidden? The concept of the frameset will
    give you the ability to view a web page in one of the frames, and be
    able to change it with the use of targets and links on the other frame.
    You could have the left frame use the GET method (except not through
    natural methods, just creating a URL that is basically the GET method)
    and then have the right frame have an onLoad function that deciphers
    this GET info and changes the page dynamically through specific
    variables given in the GET transmission. This can all be achieved
    through JavaScript, or through PHP (but PHP is a bit harder with these
    functions, so it should primarily be used if JavaScript is disabled).
    You could possibly show or hide content using some kind of Ajax or
    dynamic functions in JavaScript, or even DHTML, but I do not know these
    proficiently, so you are on your own to figure those out.

    I have the honor to remain your most humble and Ob't Sv't in our war
    against the King.

    --
    Patrick Reilly
    1st Coy.

    , Jun 15, 2006
  16. Chaddy2222 Guest

    wrote:
    > Michael Hedinger wrote:
    >
    > > how do you do WHAT? are you asking about the linking that the correct
    > > html site will appear in the right frame? that would be <a
    > > href="rightframe.html" target="right"> in the frameset source you need
    > > to define the right frame with <frame ..... name="right>"

    > Think i messed up my question. My apoligies. The right hand side has to
    > be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    > upon what has been clicked on the left hand side. The problem is that
    > all the html content has to be a single html page. So i imagine the
    > content would have to be hidden or unhidden depending upon what is
    > clicked on the left hand side. How can i do that -- that is hide and
    > unhide ?

    Hmmmm, to do that normally, you would need more then one HTML File to
    link to. Or you could use named anchors to link to specific sections of
    the page, but that may or may not be a good solution.
    A way you could do is if to use Server side includes, you would use CSS
    to style your pages and use some include, to baysicly retrieve the
    required content from a Database. This means that when I link is
    clicked that the page is generated dynamically.
    You could use a CMS to do this, you need PHP or some other language and
    MySQL though.
    Alternitively, just use a stylesheet and create your pages, useing some
    simple HTML to help bring the pages in to shape, CSS is good as it's
    powerfull and you can design your pages how you want and make changes
    easily.
    Check out my new design.
    In my Sig below.

    I hope that helps.

    Chaddy2222, Jun 15, 2006
  17. wrote:
    >> Trying to resist, resist,resist.
    >> FRAMES ARE EVIL!

    > Please do suggest an alternative .
    >
    > thanks..

    Insert your navigation menu via SSI or PHP (or other server-side
    scripting) includes

    <?php include_once('myNavMenu.php); ?>
    ....rest of document...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 15, 2006

    Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > Hmmmm, to do that normally, you would need more then one HTML File to
    > link to. Or you could use named anchors to link to specific sections of
    > the page, but that may or may not be a good solution.
    > A way you could do is if to use Server side includes, you would use CSS
    > to style your pages and use some include, to baysicly retrieve the
    > required content from a Database. This means that when I link is
    > clicked that the page is generated dynamically.
    > You could use a CMS to do this, you need PHP or some other language and
    > MySQL though.
    > Alternitively, just use a stylesheet and create your pages, useing some
    > simple HTML to help bring the pages in to shape, CSS is good as it's
    > powerfull and you can design your pages how you want and make changes
    > easily.

    Would like to stick to simple HTML and CSS. Dont want to use any server
    side scripting at present. Named anchors sound like a good idea but how
    do hide them and show them only when desired ? Is this possible through
    DHTML ?

    thanks..
    vivekian

    , Jun 15, 2006
  19. dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Harlan Messinger <> wrote:

    > The right hand side has to
    > > be a single html page which will show different html content depending
    > > upon what has been clicked on the left hand side.

    > Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame

    How did you conclude this from what the OP said? He used the word
    "different"

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jun 15, 2006
  20. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > > Since you aren't going to show different pages in the right frame, why
    > > are you using a frameset at all? I'm asking because if you have some
    > > other reason, that could affect the answer to your question.

    > You are right , there is no strong reason for using a frameset. I could
    > do without them.
    >
    > thanks..

    It is not right at all. It may be right that you should not use
    frames but not for the reason that you will not have different
    htmls in the right side, you have already said that if a viewer
    clicks on a link on the left frame, different content (html) will
    appear in the right.

    This is an Alice in Wonderland thread.

    --
    dorayme