Framework 1.1 / Access Unspecified Error

RM

Had VS .Net 2002 installed on W2k Server SP3 and supported
a number of web sites. Installed VS .Net 2003 on Friday and now
all web sites using .Net & MS ACCESS get this strange error upon open.

ASP=/TestDotNet/AdoNet.aspx
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error at
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ProcessResults(Int32 hr)
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.InitializeProvider()
at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() at
ASP.AdoNet_aspx.GetData(Object MySql) in
d:\inetpub\wwwroot\TestDotNet\AdoNet.aspx:line 12
Error source: Microsoft JET Database Engine
Error number: 5
Error description: Unspecified error

Line 12 above is the open.

All other aspx pages using SQL/Server run fine. All old
asp pages using SQL/Server or MS Access also run fine.
Only aspx using MS Access fail.

Reviewed the MS knowbase and didn't find anything
specific to my problem, but did see a number of
security related items which I've alread discounted.

Also installed Microsoft Jet 4.0 Service Pack 7, and
reinstalled VS .Net 2003 (including the pre-reqs) just
to make sure everything was installed correctly.

Still not successful. I'm about to backout VS .Net 2003,
so any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Rich

Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT]

Hello RM,

I can't tell exactly what the problem is now. However, I think you could refer to the following steps to troubleshoot the issue:

1) Please rebuild the whole project in VS.NET 2003 to see if the problem still exists.
2) Please log in as an administrator to test the applcation.
3) Please change username and passwork in machine.config to make asp.net application run under an admin account to
see if the problem still exists.
4) Please create a new asp.net project and copy Access related code to it to see if it could reproduce the problem.
5) Please go to www.sysinternal.com to download two monitor tools: FileMon and RegMon. Run these tools when you run the
application to see if there is any file/registry access error.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a
convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these
sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions
you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

--------------------
!From: "RM" <[email protected]>
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!Subject: Framework 1.1 / Access Unspecified Error
!Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 16:25:57 -0700
!
[...]

Just wanted to thank you for pointing me in the right direction. When I
built a new web project using 2003 as you suggested and copied over a test
aspx web page using MS Access, everything worked. So I slowly added all the
unique 2002 charactistics to the 2003 version until it failed, namely the
web.config changes. Seems <identity impersonate=true> was the culpret.
Once I add it to the 2003 project I received the same failure as the 2002
version. So I removed the identity from the 2002 project which caused
another security problem. But the bottom line is that Framework 1.1 changed
the security model so iusr_(machine name) no longer has the same permissions
as Framework 1.0 and ASPNET has tighter security. In the end I fixed
everything. but it was quite a surprise.

So thank you very much for your advice and guidence. Rich M...

Yan-Hong Huang said:
[...]

Hello Rich,

Thanks very much for your positive feedback and sharing your troubleshooting steps in the group. I am glad to be of
assistance. From .NET framework 1.0 to 1.1, there are several backwards breaking changes. For details, you could refer to
http://www.gotdotnet.com/team/changeinfo/Backwards1.0to1.1/default.aspx#00000157.

Thanks again for participating the community.

Best regards,
Yanhong Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

--------------------
!From: "RM" <[email protected]>
!Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
!Subject: Re: Framework 1.1 / Access Unspecified Error
!Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 14:24:26 -0700
!
[...]
!>
[...]
!> Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
!> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
!rights.
!>
!> This response contains a reference to a third-party World Wide Web site.
!Microsoft is providing this information as a
!> convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not
!tested any software or information found on these
!> sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the
!quality, safety, or suitability of any software or
!> information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any
!software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions
!> you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving
!any software from the Internet.
!>
!> !From: "RM" <[email protected]>
!> !Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet