framework design with portal and asp.net subsites

Toni Pohl

Hi all,

I´ve a web-project with about 500 websites, now it´s a mixture of one big
asp.net 2.0 webapp, some .net 1.1 webapps and still a lot of classic
asp-pages (which are currently the root-web of the portal and handle the
login).

We now pass login-information between webs with URL-Tickets which check
client-ip and are only valid for a short time. This works but in some
situations there occur some problems, when not all (esp. old) pages know how
to handle this.

I´m seeking for a good solution for a redesign of the complete portal:
portalroot
!-- web A
!-- web B
!-- web C
!-- etc...

If a user gets a link (in an email) to a subsite, let´s say A, he should log
in.
After login the requested page shall follow (forms authentication).
(I cannot use Windows authentication because the network-infrastructure
doesn´t support this.)

When logged in and entering the portalroot or an other subweb, e.g. subweb
B, the logged-in userinformation shall be passed to the web, so that the
user remains logged in, although he´s in another web.

The problem now is, that one big webapp is not very good in handling
(especially when more developers work with it - even if we work with TFs
(which is really troublesome sometimes) - and only some parts of the portal
shall be updated). So we think about separating the webs.

A good idea?
How could we design the webapp for fulfilling our needs?

Thanks for your tipps and ideas!
Toni