Framework help: Can HTML::Template do this? If not, what CPAN module can?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by bill.raty@gmail.com, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I'm trying not to reinvent the wheel, but I'm having difficulty
    determining if the wheel I'm needing has been invented.

    I've looked at HTML::Template POD, and I get the basic concept. In my
    ignorance I'm failing to see how I can apply it to my problem, and if
    there are other CPAN modules that are better suited to my task.

    I want to have a DWIMy page component system so that page controls can
    be called out and "Do The Right Thing". Example:

    I have a calendar input widget set that requires pieces of HTML,
    JavaScript, and CSS, which need to be exposed in the container page; a
    script tag in the "head", a 'div' that needs to appear early on inside
    the "body" tag, and the 'input' tag that has event handlers that use
    the earlier script tag.

    I'd like a system that abstract the container page, that lets me
    develop the calendar control component as if it were the containing
    page, but when added/included/embedded in the container page the system
    smartly places the control component elements in the correct part of
    the containing page. The clincher is the second add of the calendar
    widget doesn't duplicate the 'script' and 'div' tags, but only
    interjects the 'input' tag for the second control.
    , Sep 8, 2005