Framework/module for generating HTML documentation

Ryan Ginstrom

I have been maintaining a body of documentation in plain HTML files.

I would now like to automate the generation of the HTML files. Maintaining
the HTML files now is tedious and error prone, because every time I
move/remove/add a section, I have to renumber the following sections and
update my internal links.

I have looked at some of the HTML-generation frameworks, but the selection is
somewhat bewildering, and most also seem geared to generating dynamic or
static content for Websites. I guess what I am looking for is a Wiki-like
documentation generation engine, but generating a bunch of statically linked
files.

E.g., I want to go from something like this:
<h1>Introduction<h1>
<h1>Getting Started<h1>
<h2>Installation<h2>

To this:
[index.html]
<h1>Contents</h1>

[1.html]
<h1>1. Introduction<h1>

[2.html]
<h1>2. Getting Started<h1>
href="2_1.html">Next</a>

[2_1.html]
<h2>2.1. Installation<h2>
href="2_2.html">Next</a>

If someone can recommend a framework/module that will help me achieve this, I
would greatly appreciate it. I could do it from scratch, but if this has been
tackled before (as I suspect it has), I'd like to stand on those developers'
shoulders <g>.

Regards,
Ryan

Thomas Guettler

Hi,

I have a little script which creates numbers by scanning the <h?> tags.
But up to now it only works for single file. But it would be easy to
split e.g. on every <h2> tag.

http://www.thomas-guettler.de/scripts/number-html-headings.py.txt