Framework Support by Visual Studio Versions

Thom Little

I have ASP.NET websites deployed on a number of servers. Thee were
developed with Visual Studio 2003.

Is it true that Visual Studio 2005 only supports .NET Framework 2.0 and I
will be required to have Visual Studio 2005 for those ASP.NET websites and
Visual Studio 2003 for my currently deployed websites?

Is there a summary document listing what is provided in Visual Studio 2005?
Apparently there is support for .NET Framework 1 and 2, .NET Compact
Framework 1 and 2, but only ASP.NET 2?

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Visual Studio 2005 supports the .NET Framework 2.0
Visual Studio 2003 supports the .NET Framework 1.1

You can install them side by side on the same computer if you have web sites
that use both frameworks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Thom,

As Steve has mentioned, VS.NET 2005 supports development on .NET framework
2.0 while
VS.NET 2003 supports on .NET framework 1.1

Also, for deployment .net application, only .net framework is necessary.
VS.NET IDE is required if you'll have to do development on the server.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Framework Support by Visual Studio Versions
| Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 19:10:43 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Visual Studio 2005 supports the .NET Framework 2.0
| Visual Studio 2003 supports the .NET Framework 1.1
|
| You can install them side by side on the same computer if you have web
sites
| that use both frameworks.
|
| --
| I hope this helps,
| Steve C. Orr, MCSD, MVP
| http://SteveOrr.net
|

| | >I have ASP.NET websites deployed on a number of servers. Thee were
| >developed with Visual Studio 2003.
| >
| > Is it true that Visual Studio 2005 only supports .NET Framework 2.0 and
| > will be required to have Visual Studio 2005 for those ASP.NET websites
and
| > Visual Studio 2003 for my currently deployed websites?
| >
| > Is there a summary document listing what is provided in Visual Studio
| > 2005? Apparently there is support for .NET Framework 1 and 2, .NET
Compact
| > Framework 1 and 2, but only ASP.NET 2?
| >
| > --
| > -- Thom Little -- www.tlanet.net -- Thom Little Associates, Ltd.
| > --

Thom Little

This validates my understanding and sets my strategy for the next year.

Thank you for the help.