Framework to use for new webservices project

josh.s17

Hi,

We are starting a new webservices project and need some advice as to
which framework to use. We are planning on using axis. I'd appreciate
any advice on whether this is a good or bad framework to use and what
alternatives others would recommend.

thanks
Josh

Wesley Hall

Hi,

We are starting a new webservices project and need some advice as to
which framework to use. We are planning on using axis. I'd appreciate
any advice on whether this is a good or bad framework to use and what
alternatives others would recommend.

thanks
Josh

Josh,

Axis is as good as any. If you are not using an application server then
I would say axis is an excellent choice for SOAP based webservices.

If you ARE using an application server, you may want to research the
webservice support in your specific server, by using the container you
can often take advantage of close integration between your webservices
and other parts of your application. For example, exposing your EJB
session beans using a webservice.

If your application simply runs in a servlet container (tomcat, jetty
etc) then yes, Axis is a good choice.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Axis is as good as any. If you are not using an application server then
I would say axis is an excellent choice for SOAP based webservices.

If you ARE using an application server, you may want to research the
webservice support in your specific server, by using the container you
can often take advantage of close integration between your webservices
and other parts of your application. For example, exposing your EJB
session beans using a webservice.

If your application simply runs in a servlet container (tomcat, jetty
etc) then yes, Axis is a good choice.

I believe that several app servers do use Axis internally.

Arne

josh.s17

Josh,

Axis is as good as any. If you are not using an application server then
I would say axis is an excellent choice for SOAP based webservices.

If you ARE using an application server, you may want to research the
webservice support in your specific server, by using the container you
can often take advantage of close integration between your webservices
and other parts of your application. For example, exposing your EJB
session beans using a webservice.

If your application simply runs in a servlet container (tomcat, jetty
etc) then yes, Axis is a good choice.

We are using Websphere. However we are still stuck on version 5.1 so we
probably won't use what the App Server supplies since it is fairly
dated.

Tomek

Hi

We are starting a new webservices project and need some advice as to
which framework to use. We are planning on using axis. I'd appreciate
any advice on whether this is a good or bad framework to use and what
alternatives others would recommend.
From my personal experience, i would recommend XFire (
xfire.codehaus.org ). I used Axis some time ago, but switched to
XFire, its more user friendly, probably faster and has better Spring
integration. Check http://xfire.codehaus.org/Stack+Comparison, if you
need any of feature Axis has, but XFire hasn't then choice is simple,
in other case choose XFire :)

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Tomek said:
From my personal experience, i would recommend XFire (
xfire.codehaus.org ). I used Axis some time ago, but switched to
XFire, its more user friendly, probably faster and has better Spring
integration. Check http://xfire.codehaus.org/Stack+Comparison, if you
need any of feature Axis has, but XFire hasn't then choice is simple,
in other case choose XFire :)

According to http://xfire.codehaus.org/XFire+Team then you
are not just a user of XFire but a developer of XFire.

Arne

Tomek

Arne Vajhøj napisal(a):
According to http://xfire.codehaus.org/XFire+Team then you
are not just a user of XFire but a developer of XFire.

If its so important, yes, i am. But if you really need to know, i was
Axis user some time ago, but i was not happy using it, so i found XFire
and started using it. Working with it was so much easer then i
decided to contribute some code to it. So my opinion in previous post
was based on my user experience, not developer experience.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Tomek said:
Arne Vajhøj napisal(a):

If its so important, yes, i am. But if you really need to know, i was
Axis user some time ago, but i was not happy using it, so i found XFire
and started using it. Working with it was so much easer then i
decided to contribute some code to it. So my opinion in previous post
was based on my user experience, not developer experience.

Many people consider it rather inappropriate to recommend
X over Y when X is your own product without telling openly so.

Arne