Framework

Discussion in 'Java' started by oddaolsen, May 20, 2004.

  1. oddaolsen

    oddaolsen Guest

    Hi.
    I need to build some utilities which are going to be used to monitor
    our distributed applications. We have (the quite common) scenario of a
    highly distributed environment, with an EJB layer acting as an
    integration layer against very many different backends.

    The different applications/backends have a very variable degree of
    self detection and error handling. The consequence of this is of
    course that it is difficult to monitor all the different elements, it
    is difficult to do error searching and diagnostics and so on.

    The best approach would of course be to improve the applications
    themselves. But the applications are delivered from different vendors,
    they (the backends) are on different technologies and so on.

    What I need is a simple framework that enables me to implement
    monitoring services bit by bit. The services need to be implemented in
    a way (threads) that gives me the ability to do a time-out if the
    request to a specific backend system hangs. The framework must give me
    the ability to specify/configure wich monitoring services to run, I
    must be able to specify what test data to use, to monitor response
    time, to be able to compare response time to threshold values, and so
    on.

    I do not want to write this framework if a good (open source) one
    already exists. Junit may be one option. I've tried to search for
    other ones. Found some but I am not yet satisfied.

    Does anyone have something to recommend?
    oddaolsen, May 20, 2004

  2. oddaolsen

    iksrazal Guest

    (oddaolsen) wrote in message news:<>...

    <snip>
    > What I need is a simple framework that enables me to implement
    > monitoring services bit by bit. The services need to be implemented in
    > a way (threads) that gives me the ability to do a time-out if the
    > request to a specific backend system hangs. The framework must give me
    > the ability to specify/configure wich monitoring services to run, I
    > must be able to specify what test data to use, to monitor response
    > time, to be able to compare response time to threshold values, and so
    > on.
    >
    > I do not want to write this framework if a good (open source) one
    > already exists. Junit may be one option. I've tried to search for
    > other ones. Found some but I am not yet satisfied.
    >
    > Does anyone have something to recommend?

    I have two things to recommend. First, for a J2EE framework I'd
    recommend http://arch4j.sourceforge.net/ . Second, monitoring systems
    is extremely common and I'd recommend JMX for a pure J2EE system - or
    a JMX/SNMP system if you need to support legacy apps. You could take a
    look at another post if JMX is an option
    http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=...TF-8&oe=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.java.programmer

    Outsource to an American programmer living in brazil!
    http://www.braziloutsource.com/
    iksrazal
    iksrazal, May 20, 2004