    who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!
    , Aug 14, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    > sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

    I have been monitoring this news group for a number of years and have
    found very few, if any occasions when Mr GlasBorough's (I apologise for
    the spelling) remarks weren't lucid and to the point. I cannot begin
    to imagine the number of hours that he has spent voluntarily to
    moderate and contribute to this forum and am deeply saddened that
    anybody feels obliged to make such unwarranted personal attacks. I
    realise that this message may be feeding trolls but, at the same time,
    I wish to personally convey my thanks to Francis and others who make
    this forum such an excellent resource.

    Regards,

    Jon Trauntvein
    JH Trauntvein, Aug 14, 2006

  3. JH Trauntvein posted:

    <snip>

    The only way to deal with trolls is to limit your reaction to reminding
    others not to respond to trolls.

    Information on trolls: http://members.aol.com/intwg/trolls.htm

    JH, you can be assured that nobody payed a blind bit of notice to the
    "personal attack".

    --

    Frederick Gotham
    Frederick Gotham, Aug 14, 2006
  4. Daniel T. Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    > sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

    I wanted to say thanks too Francis. You obviously care very deeply about
    the C++ community and spend quite a bit of time explaining the language
    to those eager few who really want to learn (as opposed to those who
    just want an answer.) I know I'm always thrilled when I manage to answer
    a question before you and you agree with my answer. :)

    We all have our moods of course and sometimes you *are* a miserable old
    coot, but your *our* miserable old coot so again, thanks!
    Daniel T., Aug 14, 2006
  5. LR Guest

    wrote:

    [more contextually incomprehensible insults snipped]

    Whilst I recognize that it is bad form to respond to trolls, I think I
    will make an exception here.

    You are shockingly wrong.

    Please offer an apology at your earliest convenience.

    LR
    LR, Aug 14, 2006
  6. Chris Guest

    If you have constructive criticisms to offer about Mr. Glassborow's
    book or methods, please state them. If you just want to call someone
    names, don't bother posting to this forum.
    Chris, Aug 15, 2006
  7. <> wrote in message
    | who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    | sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

    Huh?

    Francis has been a regular contributor to both groups
    for quite a long time, freely giving up his time to
    help anyone with a programming problem.

    Having said that however, the approach you have taken
    is *very childish* indeed.

    The right thing for you to do, would have been to pose
    your problem to the author (Francis) directly via email
    if you were uncertain of something, or pose a question
    to 'c.l.l.c-c++' group (at minimum), as chances are that
    Francis himself, if surely not one of many regulars would
    have been happy to help clarify a point he may have been
    trying to make in his book.

    Instead, you chose to publicly flame Francis for a topic
    which you seem to know very little about. I have learnt
    many new techniques from Francis, and am glad that he is
    around to impart his valuable knowledge to those of us who
    care to listen.

    The least you could do is provide him with an immediate
    public apology, for your silly and uneducated outburst.

    It's your loss if you feel otherwsie...

    --
    Chris Val
    Chris \( Val \), Aug 15, 2006
  8. rossum Guest

    On 14 Aug 2006 08:05:51 -0700, wrote:

    >who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    >sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

    You are wrong, this is a coot:
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/c/coot/index.asp

    rossum
    rossum, Aug 15, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    writes
    >who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    >sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!

    Thanks to those who replied to this. I was away being miserable at a
    Bridge Congress. And yes, I am currently miserable for reasons that are
    not of any concern here, and I am old but try to pretend I am not.

    And yes there are times when I seem less than helpful and times when
    this medium may make it look as if I am (I sometimes try to answer in a
    hurry because there is some other demand on my time)

    --
    Francis Glassborow ACCU
    Author of 'You Can Do It!' and "You Can Program in C++"
    Francis Glassborow, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Francis Glassborow <> writes:
    > In article <>,
    > writes
    >>who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    >>sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!
    >>

    > Thanks to those who replied to this. I was away being miserable at a
    > Bridge Congress. And yes, I am currently miserable for reasons that
    > are not of any concern here, and I am old but try to pretend I am not.
    >
    > And yes there are times when I seem less than helpful and times when
    > this medium may make it look as if I am (I sometimes try to answer in
    > a hurry because there is some other demand on my time)

    None of which even begins to excuse the kind of abuse exhibited by
    jpbisguier.

    Keith Thompson, Aug 20, 2006
  11. peter koch Guest

    Francis Glassborow skrev:

    > In article <>,
    > writes
    > >who has no idea on how to teach novices because he's so miserable it
    > >sucks the fun out of it....so thanks alot u old miserable prick!
    > >

    > Thanks to those who replied to this. I was away being miserable at a
    > Bridge Congress. And yes, I am currently miserable for reasons that are
    > not of any concern here, and I am old but try to pretend I am not.

    And lots of us chose not to answer. Not because we share his views (or
    course we do not!) but rather because we believe such statements are
    better ignored.

    > And yes there are times when I seem less than helpful and times when
    > this medium may make it look as if I am (I sometimes try to answer in a
    > hurry because there is some other demand on my time)

    In my mind you are never rude and always succeed in giving competent
    and complete answers.

    /Peter

    (fellow bridge player)
    peter koch, Aug 20, 2006
  12. <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    You are clearly a bit of a prune. For a start, Francis is extremely
    knowledgeable and helpful. Even were he not, slandering him in public
    wouldn't exactly be the action of a mature individual. Since he is, you're
    making yourself look like an idiot in two different ways (failing to keep
    your own counsel and being incorrect). And in only two lines as well.
    Congratulations are clearly in order - yours is a rare talent. (If only it
    really were rare...)

    Anyway, to cut a long story short... *plonk*

    Stu
    Stuart Golodetz, Aug 21, 2006
  13. Valmont Guest

    Is this a joke?
    I am grateful that people like him tought me the basics of thinking before
    coding - at implementation level in this NG. F.G may be occasionally very clear
    when he expresses his views, but nothing holds anyone back to start a discussion
    of one doesn't agree. Within the C++ context, there's no rule that prohibits a
    healthy discussion.

    Thanks for your devotion and time mr. Glassborouw!

    ~Valmont
    Valmont, Aug 22, 2006
  14. Valmont Guest

    At least I should take the courtesy to spell your name right: Francis
    Glassborow.

    Valmont, Aug 22, 2006