    compilers for these languages that I can use.

    Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

    (I am working on a Windows environment)

    Rookie, Oct 9, 2004

  2. Rookie

    Mike Cox Guest

    Rookie wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    > compilers for these languages that I can use.
    >
    > Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
    >
    > (I am working on a Windows environment)

    Yes. Microsoft released their C++ compiler for free. GNU also has gcc and
    g++.

    Mike Cox, Oct 9, 2004

  3. Mike Cox wrote:

    > Rookie wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    > > compilers for these languages that I can use.
    > >
    > > Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
    > >
    > > (I am working on a Windows environment)

    > Yes. Microsoft released their C++ compiler for free. GNU also has gcc and
    > g++.

    borland also release theirs for free.

    David

    David Lindauer, Oct 9, 2004
  4. Rookie

    Mike Wahler Guest

    "Rookie" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    > compilers for these languages that I can use.
    >
    > Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
    >
    > (I am working on a Windows environment)

    (see section 5)

    -Mike

    Mike Wahler, Oct 9, 2004
  5. Rookie wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    > compilers for these languages that I can use.

    Microsoft makes a version of the command line compiler available.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

    Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
    C++ compiler.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp

    Cygwin - my favourite - even though it is temperamental at times.
    http://www.cygwin.com/

    MingW - minimalist gnu for windows.
    http://www.mingw.org/

    Gianni Mariani, Oct 9, 2004
  6. Rookie

    Eric Guest

    I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
    Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
    have that much more than Bloodshed.

    http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

    Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
    Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
    port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
    also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
    compiler.

    Free Software (GPL)
    For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

    Eric, Oct 9, 2004
  7. David Lindauer <> spoke thus:

    > borland also release theirs for free.

    They do; it is version 5.5.1. However, it is presumably extremely
    difficult to invoke it as a conforming C compiler of any sort. OP
    should check comp.lang.c++ for further C++-related details.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Oct 9, 2004
  8. Rookie

    jbeck Guest

    "Eric" <> wrote in message
    >I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
    > Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
    > have that much more than Bloodshed.
    >
    > http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html
    >
    > Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
    > Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
    > port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
    > also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
    > compiler.
    >
    > Free Software (GPL)
    > For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

    The following is just my opinion:

    What he said...I am new to this, and learned C about a year ago on a command
    line editor. I started using Bloodshed Dev-C++ this summer, and think it is
    top notch. The guys who developed it did a great job! And it works the way
    it is supposed to, and doesn't conflict with my system.

    jbeck, Oct 9, 2004
  9. Rookie

    Michael Kurz Guest

    "Rookie" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    > compilers for these languages that I can use.
    >
    > Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
    >
    > (I am working on a Windows environment)

    We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux. Althoug
    GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows as
    it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to use
    when creating windows programs.

    As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep an
    eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories) together
    with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
    directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
    linux.

    Best Regards
    Michael

    Michael Kurz, Oct 9, 2004
  10. Rookie

    T K See Tho Guest

    You can try Open Watcom from www.openwatcom.org

    T K See Tho, Oct 9, 2004
  11. Rookie

    Rookie Guest

    Thanks for all those replies. A related query - I am writing an application
    (for UNIX) that uses sockets and also (POSIX) threads. Out of the compilers
    that you'll have suggested is there any that will let me do this(on a
    Windows platform) ?

    Rookie, Oct 9, 2004
  12. On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:55:21 -0700, in comp.lang.c , "Rookie"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks for all those replies. A related query - I am writing an application
    >(for UNIX) that uses sockets and also (POSIX) threads. Out of the compilers
    >that you'll have suggested is there any that will let me do this(on a
    >Windows platform) ?

    I'm afraid that disussion of the precise features of individual compilers,
    and especially their Posix & sockets support, is offtopic in both CLC and
    CLC++. I'd advise you check out the manufacturer's websites, and/or any
    groups dedicated to those compilers. I would imagine that virtually all of
    them support this mind you.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 9, 2004
  13. Rookie

    Walter Guest

    Digital Mars has one: www.digitalmars.com/download/freecompiler.html

    Walter, Oct 9, 2004
  14. Rookie

    Richard Bos Guest

    Gianni Mariani <> wrote:

    > Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
    > C++ compiler.

    It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
    doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
    movement?

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Oct 11, 2004
  15. Richard Bos <> scribbled the following
    on comp.lang.c:
    > Gianni Mariani <> wrote:
    >> Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
    >> C++ compiler.

    > It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
    > doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
    > movement?

    Perhaps it's one law for Microsoft and another for everyone else?
    (Courtesy of Viz Letterbocks. Honestly, some of the letters admit they
    are commenting on the same issue they're printed in, leading me to
    suspect they're written by the magazine staff.)

    "C++ looks like line noise."
    - Fred L. Baube III

    Joona I Palaste, Oct 11, 2004
  16. Rookie

    Ben Pfaff Guest

    (Richard Bos) writes:

    > Gianni Mariani <> wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
    >> C++ compiler.

    > It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
    > doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
    > movement?

    Yeah, but they just tell people to SFU.
    --
    "Large amounts of money tend to quench any scruples I might be having."
    -- Stephan Wilms

    Ben Pfaff, Oct 11, 2004
  17. Rookie

    Mike Smith Guest

    Michael Kurz wrote:

    > "Rookie" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >
    >>I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
    >>compilers for these languages that I can use.
    >>
    >>Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.
    >>
    >>(I am working on a Windows environment)
    >>

    > We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux. Althoug
    > GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows as
    > it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to use
    > when creating windows programs.
    >
    > As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep an
    > eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories) together
    > with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
    > directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
    > linux.

    Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
    which one?

    --
    Mike S

    Mike Smith, Oct 11, 2004
  18. Rookie

    Ron Natalie Guest

    Mike Smith wrote:

    > Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
    > which one?

    No...the IDE is something you'll have to pay for.

    I'm not sure what libraries you get with the freebie either.

    Ron Natalie, Oct 11, 2004
  19. Ron Natalie <> writes:

    > Mike Smith wrote:
    >
    > > Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if
    > > so which one?

    > No...the IDE is something you'll have to pay for.
    >
    > I'm not sure what libraries you get with the freebie either.

    AFAIK only the necessary ones, libe runtime and so on.

    Kind regards,
    Nicolas
    --
    | Nicolas Pavlidis | Elvis Presly: |\ |__ |
    | Student of SE & KM | "Into the goto" | \|__| |

    Nicolas Pavlidis, Oct 11, 2004
  20. Rookie

    Michael Kurz Guest

    "Mike Smith" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Michael Kurz wrote:
    >
    > > "Rookie" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > >
    > > We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux.

    Althoug
    > > GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows

    as
    > > it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to

    use
    > > when creating windows programs.
    > >
    > > As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep

    an
    > > eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories)

    together
    > > with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
    > > directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
    > > linux.

    > Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
    > which one?

    No, actually I'm sathisfied with the shell and make. Of course I use an
    editor :), which can call
    make.

    Regards
    Michael