Free C\C++ compiler

Rookie

Hi,

I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
compilers for these languages that I can use.

Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

(I am working on a Windows environment)

Mike Cox

Rookie said:
Hi,

I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
compilers for these languages that I can use.

Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

(I am working on a Windows environment)

Yes. Microsoft released their C++ compiler for free. GNU also has gcc and
g++.

Gianni Mariani

Rookie said:
Hi,

I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
compilers for these languages that I can use.

Microsoft makes a version of the command line compiler available.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
C++ compiler.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/sfu/downloads/default.asp

Cygwin - my favourite - even though it is temperamental at times.
http://www.cygwin.com/

MingW - minimalist gnu for windows.
http://www.mingw.org/

Eric

I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
have that much more than Bloodshed.

http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
compiler.

Free Software (GPL)
For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

Christopher Benson-Manica

David Lindauer said:
borland also release theirs for free.

They do; it is version 5.5.1. However, it is presumably extremely
difficult to invoke it as a conforming C compiler of any sort. OP
should check comp.lang.c++ for further C++-related details.

jbeck

Eric said:
I have used Bloodshed in the past and have found it works great.
Currently I'm using .Net but it was very expensive, and doesn't really
have that much more than Bloodshed.

http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html

Bloodshed Dev-C++ is a full-featured Integrated Development
Environment (IDE) for the C/C++ programming language. It uses Mingw
port of GCC (GNU Compiler Collection) as it's compiler. Dev-C++ can
also be used in combination with Cygwin or any other GCC based
compiler.

Free Software (GPL)
For Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000, XP

The following is just my opinion:

What he said...I am new to this, and learned C about a year ago on a command
line editor. I started using Bloodshed Dev-C++ this summer, and think it is
top notch. The guys who developed it did a great job! And it works the way
it is supposed to, and doesn't conflict with my system.

Michael Kurz

Rookie said:
I am new to C\C++ and was wondering if there are any freely available
compilers for these languages that I can use.

Hope to hear from someone. Thanks.

(I am working on a Windows environment)

We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux. Althoug
GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows as
it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to use
when creating windows programs.

As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep an
eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories) together
with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
linux.

Best Regards
Michael

Rookie

Thanks for all those replies. A related query - I am writing an application
(for UNIX) that uses sockets and also (POSIX) threads. Out of the compilers
that you'll have suggested is there any that will let me do this(on a
Windows platform) ?

Mark McIntyre

Thanks for all those replies. A related query - I am writing an application
(for UNIX) that uses sockets and also (POSIX) threads. Out of the compilers
that you'll have suggested is there any that will let me do this(on a
Windows platform) ?

I'm afraid that disussion of the precise features of individual compilers,
and especially their Posix & sockets support, is offtopic in both CLC and
CLC++. I'd advise you check out the manufacturer's websites, and/or any
groups dedicated to those compilers. I would imagine that virtually all of
them support this mind you.

Richard Bos

Gianni Mariani said:
Microsoft also makes "SFU" - Services For Unix which contains the gcc
C++ compiler.

It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
movement?

Richard

Joona I Palaste

Richard Bos <[email protected]> scribbled the following
It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
movement?

Perhaps it's one law for Microsoft and another for everyone else?
(Courtesy of Viz Letterbocks. Honestly, some of the letters admit they
are commenting on the same issue they're printed in, leading me to
suspect they're written by the magazine staff.)

Ben Pfaff

It does? Amazing. Shouldn't they be ridiculed greatly and publicly for
doing so, after all their previous fulminations against the open source
movement?

Yeah, but they just tell people to SFU.

Mike Smith

Michael said:
We are using the free version of VC7 on windows and GCC on linux. Althoug
GCC is available for windows as well (cygwin) I prefered VC7 on windows as
it will work well with the MS PalttformSDK, which is often necessary to use
when creating windows programs.

As build environment my favorites are gnu make and CVS (although I keep an
eye on subversion for the ability to move files and directories) together
with a perl as general purpose language instead of using shell scripts
directly. This combination works great for us on windows as well as on
linux.

Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
which one?

Ron Natalie

Mike said:
Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
which one?

No...the IDE is something you'll have to pay for.

I'm not sure what libraries you get with the freebie either.

Nicolas Pavlidis

Ron Natalie said:
No...the IDE is something you'll have to pay for.

I'm not sure what libraries you get with the freebie either.

AFAIK only the necessary ones, libe runtime and so on.

Kind regards,
Nicolas

Michael Kurz

Mike Smith said:
Just curious, do you use any sort of IDE with the free VC7, and if so
which one?

No, actually I'm sathisfied with the shell and make. Of course I use an
editor :), which can call
make.

Regards
Michael