    someone please suggest one to me?

    Thanks,
    Ashish

    Praetorian, Mar 9, 2006

  2. Praetorian

    Praetorian Guest

    I forgot to mention this, I'm using Windows.

    Praetorian, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Praetorian

    Guest

    gcc

    , Mar 9, 2006
  4. Praetorian

    Guest

    MinGW

    , Mar 9, 2006
  5. Praetorian

    Roshan Naik Guest

    Roshan Naik, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Praetorian

    Praetorian Guest

    wrote:
    > MinGW

    I can't find any .exe install files on the MinGW website, everything is
    in tarballs and gunzips. Doesn't that mean it is for Linux?

    Praetorian, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Praetorian

    Guest

    It's for Windows.
    You can download the MinGW-5.0.2.exe

    , Mar 9, 2006
  8. Praetorian

    GB Guest

    Praetorian wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
    > Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
    > someone please suggest one to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ashish

    If it's for Windows, and you have a broadband connection, you might
    consider downloading the free Visual C++ Express from Microsoft:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

    It includes a complete IDE and a decent C++ compiler. You don't have to
    use the IDE if you don't want.

    If you would rather use GCC-based tools, you can choose either MINGW or
    cygwin. If your focus is on being able to build software that originates
    on Linux, I recommend cygwin (www.cygwin.com). Be sure to select the g++
    compiler during setup (cygwin includes almost an entire set of Linux
    user tools ported to Windows).

    If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
    mingw site. It is a mess.

    Gregg

    GB, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Praetorian wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
    > Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
    > someone please suggest one to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ashish

    Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is a free download:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/

    It will build "console" programs as is. Do that for learning C++. With
    another free download (the Windows SDK) it can also build programs with
    windows, buttons, mouse, etc.

    --
    Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

    Scott McPhillips [MVP], Mar 9, 2006
  10. Praetorian

    Phlip Guest

    Scott McPhillips [MVP] wrote:

    > Microsoft's Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition is a free download:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/
    >
    > It will build "console" programs as is. Do that for learning C++. With
    > another free download (the Windows SDK) it can also build programs with
    > windows, buttons, mouse, etc.

    http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe

    That will install g++, along with zillions of free software goodies, from
    ash to an X server (a kind of windows).

    The bad news is (big surprise) it has no cute GUI. You must learn BASH
    command lines to run it.

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Mar 9, 2006
  11. Praetorian

    BobR Guest

    GB wrote in message ...

    >If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
    >mingw site. It is a mess.
    >Gregg

    Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
    Easy way!

    Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
    www.gnu.org

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Mar 9, 2006
  12. Praetorian

    Guest

    I would recommend dev c++ from bloodshed.net. Its free, come with great
    IDE and is very easy to use making it easier to concenrate on the code.
    Try it out. Based on gcc

    , Mar 9, 2006
  13. Praetorian

    Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2006-03-09, BobR <> wrote:

    > GB wrote in message ...
    >>
    >>If you choose MINGW, good luck figuring out what do download from the
    >>mingw site. It is a mess.
    >>Gregg

    > Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
    > Easy way!
    >
    > Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
    > www.gnu.org

    Msys stinks out of the box, IMO, due to the lack of info.exe and
    man.exe, and any of the documents those programs might usefully be
    used on.

    You can correct these problems yourself, but it's a pain. If you're
    already very familiar with all the GNU tools, then perhaps it is OK
    out of the box.

    --
    Neil Cerutti

    Neil Cerutti, Mar 9, 2006
  14. Praetorian

    Noah Roberts Guest

    Praetorian wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > MinGW

    > I can't find any .exe install files on the MinGW website, everything is
    > in tarballs and gunzips. Doesn't that mean it is for Linux?

    It just means you can't find it. I used the exe install for mingw only
    a couple weeks ago.

    Noah Roberts, Mar 9, 2006
  15. Praetorian

    BobR Guest

    Neil Cerutti wrote in message ...
    >On 2006-03-09, BobR wrote:
    >> Dev-C++ IDE: http://www.bloodshed.net/
    >> Easy way!
    >>
    >> Add 'Msys' and you are close to Cygwin.
    >> www.gnu.org

    >Msys stinks out of the box, IMO, due to the lack of info.exe and
    >man.exe, and any of the documents those programs might usefully be
    >used on.
    >You can correct these problems yourself, but it's a pain. If you're
    >already very familiar with all the GNU tools, then perhaps it is OK
    >out of the box.
    >--
    >Neil Cerutti

    Msys does not stink! The rest of your statement, I can not argue with. <G>

    I have a ton of GNU docs in my 'Library' directory on the win98 partition. I
    also use wxWidgets, which has 'tex2html' to convert to/from several formats.
    Some pain, but, not that bad.
    Could be a nightmare for a newbie though. Better documentation is obviously
    needed.

    I seem to remember mention of 'info' and 'man' tools on the GNU site. I'll
    check if I get some free time.
    Hmmm. " man2html.c " URL: http://www.delorie.com/server/man2html.c
    (if that link is still alive)
    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Mar 10, 2006
  16. Praetorian

    Guest

    Praetorian wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
    > Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
    > someone please suggest one to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ashish

    Get Borland C++ Compiler
    http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html

    I have used it for a while now and it compiles like a charm.

    Mahurshi Akilla

    , Mar 11, 2006
  17. Praetorian

    Sgt. York Guest

    wrote:
    > Praetorian wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >> I'm trying to learn C++ at home and need a free compiler for this.
    >> Sourceforge has a few but I wasn't sure which one is good. Could
    >> someone please suggest one to me?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Ashish

    > Get Borland C++ Compiler
    > http://www.borland.com/downloads/download_cbuilder.html
    >
    > I have used it for a while now and it compiles like a charm.
    >

    > Mahurshi Akilla

    And yet another nice package to throw into the mix:

    http://www.codeblocks.org/

    -York

    Sgt. York, Mar 11, 2006
  18. Praetorian