Free content management systems for ASP.NET?

Alan Silver

Hello,

Anyone able to recommend a free CMS for ASP.NET 2.0? I am interested in
being able to build a site with articles, pictures, videos, etc.

I have looked around and seen a few, but I have no idea of their
relative merits. The ones that seem to stick out are Umbraco, DotNetNuke
and Community Server. Anyone any experience of these?

Of the three, only DNN seems to be completely free (unless I missed
something). The other two have free editions, but they have limitations.

Any comments on these, or any others?

TIA

Mark Rae [MVP]

I have looked around and seen a few, but I have no idea of their relative
merits. The ones that seem to stick out are Umbraco, DotNetNuke and
Community Server. Anyone any experience of these?

I was asked to look at DotNetNuke a couple of years ago, and absolutely
hated it... If you ever need to deviate from the defaults, even slightly,
you have to jump through so many hoops that it's almost not worth bothering
with...

From what I've seen of Umbraco, it's fairly cumbersome... And, something
which may be of concern to you, is that it seems to be written by a couple
of guys in their spare time...

Scott Roberts

From what I've seen of Umbraco, it's fairly cumbersome... And, something
which may be of concern to you, is that it seems to be written by a couple
of guys in their spare time...

Kinda like MS-DOS? ;)

Alan Silver

"Mark Rae [MVP]" said:
I was asked to look at DotNetNuke a couple of years ago, and absolutely
hated it... If you ever need to deviate from the defaults, even
slightly, you have to jump through so many hoops that it's almost not
worth bothering with...

Yeah, I seem to remember having that feeling with one of the starter
kits MS produced to introduce people to ASP.NET. I gave up with it
fairly quickly ;-)

Still, I may have a look and see what it does. My requirements for this
job are fairly vanilla, so it may do. I could do with something that
will get me up and running quickly.
From what I've seen of Umbraco, it's fairly cumbersome... And,
something which may be of concern to you, is that it seems to be
written by a couple of guys in their spare time...

Hmm, that's worth knowing.

Thanks for the reply

Alan Silver

"Peter said:
Your list sounds pretty accurate for the top 3. For something much
simpler, you can try the "My Web Pages Starter Kit" which can be found
on codeplex.com

Thanks, that looks good too. I might have a play.

Alan Silver

Meaning you wouldn't recommend any of them, or you haven't used them, so
can't say one way or the other?

Wow! That's an amazing system for free!

It looks like a nightmare to get installed though ;-(

Have you used this system? I'm wondering what you thought of it.

Thanks for the link. I can see this will require some time for
investigation.

Guest

Meaning you wouldn't recommend any of them, or you haven't used them, so
can't say one way or the other?

Wow! That's an amazing system for free!

It looks like a nightmare to get installed though ;-(

Have you used this system? I'm wondering what you thought of it.

Thanks for the link. I can see this will require some time for
investigation.

Hi Alan, I was testing one of the previous versions and found it too
complex for my projects.