Free IDE with Parenthesis Matching?

Rogue Noir

Can someone recommend a free IDE (open source or for Windows) that supports
automatic parethesis matching (when you type a right-parenthesis, it briefly
highlights the corresponding matching parenthesis)?

Leon

Maybe Textpad (www.textpad.com) can do the trick. It's not really an IDE,
more like a plain text editor with all kinds of bells and whistles like
customizable syntax highlighting, regex search&replace and bracket /
parenthesis matching.

It's shareware, however.
Cheers.

Leon.

Greg P.

| Can someone recommend a free IDE (open source or for Windows) that
supports
| automatic parethesis matching (when you type a right-parenthesis, it
briefly
| highlights the corresponding matching parenthesis)?

Try VIM for windows: http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc
To match braces hit Alt+5 while at a parenthesis/brace.

Or SourceEdit: http://www.sourcedit.com
To match brace go into tools/options/keyboard/GoToMatchBrace and put in a
shortcut.

Most IDE's (for programming) have such facilities built in. You will
probably just have to dig in the options/keyboard shortcuts to find them.
Good luck!

Mark Roddy

Maybe Textpad (www.textpad.com) can do the trick. It's not really an IDE,
more like a plain text editor with all kinds of bells and whistles like
customizable syntax highlighting, regex search&replace and bracket /
parenthesis matching.

It's shareware, however.
Cheers.

Leon.

Gnu Emacs and Xemacs both have Win32 ports and sophisticated built-in
program editor facilities with syntac coloring parenthesis and brace
matching etc. and are fully free software

Mark Roddy
Windows XP/2000/NT Consulting, Microsoft DDK MVP
Hollis Technology Solutions 603-321-1032
www.hollistech.com
(e-mail address removed)
For Windows Device Driver Training: see www.azius.com