Free keyboard applet

Discussion in 'Java' started by Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 23, 2009.

  1. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 23, 2009

  2. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Does anyone do a free keyboard applet with source?
    > I'm looking for one to use in conjunction with a small touchscreen and
    > would rather not have to go through the hassle of writing one.

    Well, if there isn't one and I have to write one I'll post it somewhere
    for others to use. That's a THREAT!

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 23, 2009

  3. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 01:07:01 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
    said :

    >Does anyone do a free keyboard applet with source?
    >I'm looking for one to use in conjunction with a small touchscreen and
    >would rather not have to go through the hassle of writing one.

    What do you want the keyboard applet to do?

    See http://mindprod.com/project/keyboardillustrator.html
    for one possible interpretation of your question, unlikely the one you
    intend.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    "It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."
    ~ Charles Darwin

    Roedy Green, Apr 24, 2009
  4. Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 01:07:01 +0100, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax
    > said :
    >
    >> Does anyone do a free keyboard applet with source?
    >> I'm looking for one to use in conjunction with a small touchscreen and
    >> would rather not have to go through the hassle of writing one.

    > What do you want the keyboard applet to do?
    >
    > See http://mindprod.com/project/keyboardillustrator.html
    > for one possible interpretation of your question, unlikely the one you
    > intend.

    It's for an application where the normal interface is an IR remote
    control. I've replaced the major functions of the RC with an applet on a
    touchscreen. However, occasionally the user might want to enter a text
    string, which is usually done the hard way through the RC a bit like
    texting - a real pain. So why not a little keyboard to pump out the UTF-8?

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 25, 2009
  5. Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    > Does anyone do a free keyboard applet with source?
    > I'm looking for one to use in conjunction with a small touchscreen and
    > would rather not have to go through the hassle of writing one.

    Dirk:

    You running this on a Windows machine? Windows has a built in on screen
    keyboard that would probably work just fine. We use it all the time to
    unset caps lock on remotely accessed boxes through VNC.

    Start Programs -> Accessories -> Accessibility -> On Screen Keyboard

    I don't know if the Linux distros have anything similar.

    --

    Knute Johnson
    email s/nospam/knute2009/

    Knute Johnson, Apr 25, 2009
  6. Knute Johnson wrote:
    > Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
    >> Does anyone do a free keyboard applet with source?
    >> I'm looking for one to use in conjunction with a small touchscreen and
    >> would rather not have to go through the hassle of writing one.
    >>

    > Dirk:
    >
    > You running this on a Windows machine? Windows has a built in on screen
    > keyboard that would probably work just fine. We use it all the time to
    > unset caps lock on remotely accessed boxes through VNC.
    >
    > Start Programs -> Accessories -> Accessibility -> On Screen Keyboard
    >
    > I don't know if the Linux distros have anything similar.

    This is for a consumer system, XP based, headless.
    As usual a RC just isn't enough for some people, yet the i/f has got to
    be just as simple (or more so). And operable from any computer or
    smartphone. So it's browsers and applets.

    --
    Dirk

    Dirk Bruere at NeoPax, Apr 25, 2009