Free Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

Discussion in 'C++' started by v4vijayakumar, May 3, 2006.

  1. FYI.

    Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

    The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools
    developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows
    and the .NET Common Language Runtime:

    Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same
    compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
    Professional!

    C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard
    Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included
    with Visual Studio.

    Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime. Visual C++ can
    optionally build applications that target the Common Language Runtime
    (CLR).

    Sample code. The toolkit includes four samples designed to showcase
    the powerful new features of the 2003 version, including new
    optimization capabilities, features to improve code-security and
    robustness, enhanced ISO C++ standards support, and the ability to use
    the .NET Framework library and target the CLR.

    [Download the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en]

    [From http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/]
    v4vijayakumar, May 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. v4vijayakumar

    Flash Gordon Guest

    v4vijayakumar wrote:
    > FYI.
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003


    <snip>

    Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact that most
    of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are not for
    specific tools but the language itself.

    In any case, we (on comp.lang.c) already have a far longer list of
    freely available compilers at http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/C_Compilers which
    will show that you are advertising an old version rather than the
    current version.
    --
    Flash Gordon, living in interesting times.
    Web site - http://home.flash-gordon.me.uk/
    comp.lang.c posting guidelines and intro:
    http://clc-wiki.net/wiki/Intro_to_clc
    Flash Gordon, May 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. v4vijayakumar

    arun Guest

    v4vijayakumar wrote:
    > FYI.
    >
    > Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
    >
    > The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools
    > developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows
    > and the .NET Common Language Runtime:
    >
    > Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same
    > compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
    > Professional!
    >
    > C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard
    > Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included
    > with Visual Studio.
    >
    > Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime. Visual C++ can
    > optionally build applications that target the Common Language Runtime
    > (CLR).
    >
    > Sample code. The toolkit includes four samples designed to showcase
    > the powerful new features of the 2003 version, including new
    > optimization capabilities, features to improve code-security and
    > robustness, enhanced ISO C++ standards support, and the ability to use
    > the .NET Framework library and target the CLR.
    >
    > [Download the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D-40BB-49FD-9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en]
    >
    > [From http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/]


    I think you have come to the wrong place.
    This group is meant for "Discussion about C" as the group description
    says.
    Why are you posting the advertisement for such tools in this group ?
    arun, May 3, 2006
    #3

  4. > Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact that
    > most
    > of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are not
    > for specific tools but the language itself.


    I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error messages
    better, because a translation made things worse (Siemens Syndrome).

    -Gernot
    Gernot Frisch, May 3, 2006
    #4
  5. v4vijayakumar

    Vladimir Oka Guest

    Gernot Frisch wrote:
    > > Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact that
    > > most
    > > of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are not
    > > for specific tools but the language itself.

    >
    > I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    > compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error messages
    > better, because a translation made things worse (Siemens Syndrome).


    I'm happy for you.

    That, however, still does not make c.l.c a place to exchange this sort
    fo information.
    Vladimir Oka, May 3, 2006
    #5
  6. "Vladimir Oka" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:...
    >
    > Gernot Frisch wrote:
    >> > Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact
    >> > that
    >> > most
    >> > of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are
    >> > not
    >> > for specific tools but the language itself.

    >>
    >> I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    >> compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error
    >> messages
    >> better, because a translation made things worse (Siemens Syndrome).

    >
    > I'm happy for you.
    >
    > That, however, still does not make c.l.c a place to exchange this
    > sort
    > fo information.


    OK. You're right.
    </Thread>
    Gernot Frisch, May 3, 2006
    #6
  7. v4vijayakumar

    John Carson Guest

    "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message
    news:
    >> Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact that
    >> most
    >> of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are not
    >> for specific tools but the language itself.

    >
    > I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    > compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error messages
    > better, because a translation made things worse (Siemens Syndrome).
    >
    > -Gernot



    Get the current version. Then you don't have to suffer a command line
    interface.

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx


    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, May 5, 2006
    #7
  8. v4vijayakumar

    CBFalconer Guest

    John Carson wrote:
    > "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>> Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact
    >>> that most of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these
    >>> groups are not for specific tools but the language itself.

    >>
    >> I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    >> compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error
    >> messages better, because a translation made things worse
    >> (Siemens Syndrome).

    >
    > Get the current version. Then you don't have to suffer a command
    > line interface.
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx


    Why do you want him to suffer from a GUI interface? How cruel.

    --
    "If you want to post a followup via groups.google.com, don't use
    the broken "Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on
    "show options" at the top of the article, then click on the
    "Reply" at the bottom of the article headers." - Keith Thompson
    More details at: <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/>
    Also see <http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/>
    CBFalconer, May 5, 2006
    #8
  9. v4vijayakumar

    John Carson Guest

    "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > John Carson wrote:
    >> "Gernot Frisch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>> Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact
    >>>> that most of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these
    >>>> groups are not for specific tools but the language itself.
    >>>
    >>> I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    >>> compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error
    >>> messages better, because a translation made things worse
    >>> (Siemens Syndrome).

    >>
    >> Get the current version. Then you don't have to suffer a command
    >> line interface.
    >>
    >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/default.aspx

    >
    > Why do you want him to suffer from a GUI interface? How cruel.



    People with normal emotional adjustment (and people interested in maximizing
    productivity) prefer GUI interfaces.

    This of course raises the question of the best way to respond to people with
    abnormal emotional adjustment who prefer command line interfaces. This takes
    us into ethical deep waters. I am reminded of a discussion among some
    friends a while ago about whether there should be intervention in a
    (hypothetical) relationship in which one partner likes to be beaten. One
    view was that the person's preferences should be respected. Another was that
    those preferences were likely the result of mistreatment in the past and
    thus to treat the preferences as sacrosanct would just perpetuate a pattern
    of abuse.

    Opinions differ on this. I'm inclined to be interventionist myself --- while
    acknowledging that these matters need to be handled with sensitivity.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, May 6, 2006
    #9
  10. v4vijayakumar

    Guest

    John Carson wrote:
    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > news:
    > > John Carson wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Get the current version. Then you don't have to suffer a command
    > >> line interface.

    > >
    > > Why do you want him to suffer from a GUI interface? How cruel.

    >
    > People with normal emotional adjustment (and people interested in maximizing
    > productivity) prefer GUI interfaces.


    You make yourself look ridiculous.
    , May 6, 2006
    #10
  11. v4vijayakumar

    John Carson Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:
    > John Carson wrote:
    >> "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    >> news:
    >>> John Carson wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> Get the current version. Then you don't have to suffer a command
    >>>> line interface.
    >>>
    >>> Why do you want him to suffer from a GUI interface? How cruel.

    >>
    >> People with normal emotional adjustment (and people interested in
    >> maximizing productivity) prefer GUI interfaces.

    >
    > You make yourself look ridiculous.



    You have no sense of humour.

    --
    John Carson
    John Carson, May 6, 2006
    #11
  12. v4vijayakumar

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, arun
    <> writes
    >
    >v4vijayakumar wrote:
    >> FYI.
    >>
    >> Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003
    >>
    >> The Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 includes the core tools
    >> developers need to compile and link C++-based applications for Windows
    >> and the .NET Common Language Runtime:
    >>
    >> Microsoft C/C++ Optimizing Compiler and Linker. These are the same
    >> compiler and linker that ship with Visual Studio .NET 2003
    >> Professional!
    >>
    >> C Runtime Library and the C++ Standard Library, including the Standard
    >> Template Library. These are the same static-link libraries included
    >> with Visual Studio.
    >>
    >> Microsoft .NET Framework Common Language Runtime. Visual C++ can
    >> optionally build applications that target the Common Language Runtime
    >> (CLR).
    >>
    >> Sample code. The toolkit includes four samples designed to showcase
    >> the powerful new features of the 2003 version, including new
    >> optimization capabilities, features to improve code-security and
    >> robustness, enhanced ISO C++ standards support, and the ability to use
    >> the .NET Framework library and target the CLR.
    >>
    >> [Download the Visual C++ Toolkit 2003:
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=272BE09D-40BB-49FD-

    >9CB0-4BFA122FA91B&displaylang=en]
    >>
    >> [From http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/]

    >
    >I think you have come to the wrong place.
    >This group is meant for "Discussion about C" as the group description
    >says.
    >Why are you posting the advertisement for such tools in this group ?


    Because it is useful for those who actually use C on a windows platform.
    Probably a lot of people who read this NG unless you are going to ban
    discussion of ALL compilers. Mind you the MS compilers are now some of
    the most ISO C compliant on the planet and soon may be the only
    compliant ones.

    --
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    Chris Hills, May 6, 2006
    #12
  13. v4vijayakumar

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Vladimir Oka <> writes
    >
    >Gernot Frisch wrote:
    >> > Now tell me why it should be of interest? Apart from the fact that
    >> > most
    >> > of my current development is for Linux and AIX, these groups are not
    >> > for specific tools but the language itself.

    >>
    >> I _am_ interested, since I finally can replace my VC7.1 GERMAN
    >> compiler with an ENGLISH one!!! Now I can understand my error messages
    >> better, because a translation made things worse (Siemens Syndrome).

    >
    >I'm happy for you.
    >
    >That, however, still does not make c.l.c a place to exchange this sort
    >fo information.


    SO you say but more people seem to have respond positively to this
    thread. Unless of course C.l.c is a place where people only talk about C
    and not actually use it....

    A free [commercial] compiler that will run on the hardware a majority of
    readers of this NG have is always useful information. I downloaded a
    copy of the free MS compiler myself just to play with though all my work
    is in the embedded area.

    I make the distinction of a free commercial compiler as you usually have
    to buy it so an announcement that it is now available for free is always
    of interest. As I said I am not going to buy an MS compiler as I don't
    develop for a PC but a free one is of interest as several other people
    here have said. SO this is clearly the place to post the information.


    --
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    Chris Hills, May 6, 2006
    #13
  14. Chris Hills wrote:
    >
    > Because it is useful for those who actually use C on a windows platform.
    > Probably a lot of people who read this NG unless you are going to ban
    > discussion of ALL compilers. Mind you the MS compilers are now some of
    > the most ISO C compliant on the planet and soon may be the only
    > compliant ones.


    Really? What about the 1999 ISO C standard? Is this 2003 compiler
    complient?

    Erik
    --
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    Erik de Castro Lopo
    +-----------------------------------------------------------+
    "We have fifty million Muslims in Europe. There are signs that Allah
    will grant Islam victory in Europe - without swords, without guns,
    without conquests. The fifty million Muslims of Europe will turn it
    into a Muslim continent within a few decades."
    -- Libyan leader Mu'ammar Al-Qadhafi
    http://www.memritv.org/Transcript.asp?P1=1121
    Erik de Castro Lopo, May 7, 2006
    #14
  15. v4vijayakumar

    Chris Hills Guest

    In article <>, Erik de Castro Lopo
    <> writes
    >Chris Hills wrote:
    >>
    >> Because it is useful for those who actually use C on a windows platform.
    >> Probably a lot of people who read this NG unless you are going to ban
    >> discussion of ALL compilers. Mind you the MS compilers are now some of
    >> the most ISO C compliant on the planet and soon may be the only
    >> compliant ones.

    >
    >Really? What about the 1999 ISO C standard? Is this 2003 compiler
    >complient?
    >
    >Erik


    Hi,

    Well I don't know about the 2003 version but when I queried the same
    thing on another (standards) forum a while back I was told MS are now
    very compliant from some of the senior standards people. It surprised me
    two.

    Also given that MS wrote the TR's one for the C and the C++ libraries
    based on their libraries, virtually wrote the C#, CLI and C++/CLI
    ECMA/ISO standards I am not sure if you would say that MS is standards
    compliant or that the standards are now becoming MS compliant... :-(
    There were some warning bells about this but they were ignored. Now the
    very people who ignored the warnings are piously leading the charge
    against. A case of when they came for the ABC Iwas not an ABC and said
    nothing.....

    --
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
    \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
    Chris Hills, May 7, 2006
    #15
  16. v4vijayakumar

    Al Balmer Guest

    On Sun, 07 May 2006 06:28:49 GMT, Erik de Castro Lopo
    <> wrote:

    >Chris Hills wrote:
    >>
    >> Because it is useful for those who actually use C on a windows platform.
    >> Probably a lot of people who read this NG unless you are going to ban
    >> discussion of ALL compilers. Mind you the MS compilers are now some of
    >> the most ISO C compliant on the planet and soon may be the only
    >> compliant ones.

    >
    >Really? What about the 1999 ISO C standard? Is this 2003 compiler
    >complient?


    No. In fact, MS has said that they have no intention of trying to make
    the C compiler C99 compliant. OTOH, the C++ compiler is pretty much up
    to current standards, as I understand it.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ
    Al Balmer, May 8, 2006
    #16
  17. v4vijayakumar

    Richard Bos Guest

    "John Carson" <> wrote:

    > "CBFalconer" <> wrote in message
    > news:
    > > Why do you want him to suffer from a GUI interface? How cruel.

    >
    > People with normal emotional adjustment (and people interested in maximizing
    > productivity) prefer GUI interfaces.


    Bollocks. People interested in real productivity prefer being able to
    choose their own editor or editing environment, not being locked into an
    MS-designed one.

    Richard
    Richard Bos, May 9, 2006
    #17
  18. Michael O'Keeffe, May 9, 2006
    #18
  19. C++ Divided by CLI

    Chris Hills wrote:
    >[snip
    >
    > Also given that MS wrote the TR's one for the C and the C++ libraries
    > based on their libraries, virtually wrote the C#, CLI and C++/CLI
    > ECMA/ISO standards I am not sure if you would say that MS is standards
    > compliant or that the standards are now becoming MS compliant... :-(
    > There were some warning bells about this but they were ignored. Now the
    > very people who ignored the warnings are piously leading the charge
    > against. A case of when they came for the ABC Iwas not an ABC and said
    > nothing.....


    You mean the people who are now calling C++/CLI "C++ divided by CLI"?

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/05/05/microsoft_cplusplus_cli/

    The main thing that strikes me about using VS, is that even if you
    avoid the wizards, the documentation will steer you in the direction of
    CLI. This was always confusing with Microsoft's "managed extensions",
    i.e _try _catch and the like, and you end up with non-standard code
    very easily, now even more so with C++/CLI.

    Just as a recommendation to anyone downloading a "Free" compiler - you
    get what you pay for.
    Michael O'Keeffe, May 9, 2006
    #19
  20. v4vijayakumar

    P.J. Plauger Guest

    Re: C++ Divided by CLI

    "Michael O'Keeffe" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Chris Hills wrote:
    >>[snip
    >>
    >> Also given that MS wrote the TR's one for the C and the C++ libraries
    >> based on their libraries, virtually wrote the C#, CLI and C++/CLI
    >> ECMA/ISO standards I am not sure if you would say that MS is standards
    >> compliant or that the standards are now becoming MS compliant... :-(
    >> There were some warning bells about this but they were ignored. Now the
    >> very people who ignored the warnings are piously leading the charge
    >> against. A case of when they came for the ABC Iwas not an ABC and said
    >> nothing.....

    >
    > You mean the people who are now calling C++/CLI "C++ divided by CLI"?
    >
    > http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2006/05/05/microsoft_cplusplus_cli/
    >
    > The main thing that strikes me about using VS, is that even if you
    > avoid the wizards, the documentation will steer you in the direction of
    > CLI. This was always confusing with Microsoft's "managed extensions",
    > i.e _try _catch and the like, and you end up with non-standard code
    > very easily, now even more so with C++/CLI.


    Hmm. Just like every other compiler I've used for the past 43 years.
    There were the IBM extensions and the DEC extensions and the Borland
    extensions and...

    > Just as a recommendation to anyone downloading a "Free" compiler - you
    > get what you pay for.


    Hmm. Just like gcc, neh?

    All this fear mongering obscures the basic issue, that Standard C and
    Standard C++ continue as international programming language standards
    largely unaffected by the machinations of Microsoft, Project Gnu, or
    any other single enterprise. And these standards will continue to
    retain mindshare so long as they fill a need. But no longer. It is
    the responsibility of the standards committees to fill that need.
    Railing at the possibly seductive innovations of any given enterprise
    is counterproductive.

    P.J. Plauger
    Dinkumware, Ltd.
    http://www.dinkumware.com
    P.J. Plauger, May 9, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Charles A. Lackman
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,324
    smith
    Dec 8, 2004
  2. Martin Bless
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    708
  3. Andreas
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    433
    Andreas
    Dec 31, 2005
  4. v4vijayakumar

    Free Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003

    v4vijayakumar, May 3, 2006, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    26
    Views:
    4,781
    Flash Gordon
    May 9, 2006
  5. Divvy Ballacks
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    376
    Divvy Ballacks
    Apr 4, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page