Free MS Compiler

Discussion in 'C++' started by John Carson, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. John Carson

    John Carson Guest

    Given that there are occasionally discussions in this group about the
    various compilers available, I trust that this is not off-topic and is of
    some interest.

    Microsoft has just released its new compiler (VC++ 8.0) and the low-end
    version, known as Visual C++ Express, is available for free download for the
    next year.

    Visual C++ Express includes:
    1. The latest MS C++ compiler and standard library.
    2. An IDE with integrated debugger.
    3. Other Microsoft specific-stuff I shouldn't mention.

    It is missing the MFC and ATL libraries (which I also shouldn't mention) and
    some other stuff.

    FAQ:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/support/faq/#vcpp

    Download and other information:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Nov 8, 2005

  2. John Carson

    John Carson Guest

    John Carson, Nov 10, 2005

  3. John Carson

    brengarne Guest

    brengarne, Nov 11, 2005
  4. John Carson

    John Carson Guest

    "brengarne" <> wrote in message
    > You can easilly download and install the PSDK which allows you to
    > build MFC applications.
    >
    > Quite simple to set up and seems to work fine.
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/default.aspx

    The Platform SDK does not and, to the best of my knowledge, never has
    included the MFC library. It allows you to build Win32 applications but that
    is not the same thing. MFC is basically a C++ wrapper around the Win32 API,
    which is largely C-based. If you want that wrapper, you have to pay for it.

    --
    John Carson

    John Carson, Nov 11, 2005