Free MS E-books // Linq, Ajax and Silverlight 1.0 // Downloadable Books

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by sloan, Jan 14, 2008.

  1. sloan

    sloan Guest

    This is a FYI, and a complaint.

    http://csna01.libredigital.com/?urvs5cn3s8

    Introducing Microsoft LINQ
    by Paolo Pialorsi and Marco Russo
    ISBN: 9780735623910

    Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX
    by Dino Esposito
    ISBN: 9780735624139

    Introducing Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
    by Laurence Moroney
    ISBN: 9780735625396

    The FYI is about the 3 free ebooks.

    The complaint is that

    http://csna01.libredigital.com/pdf_loader.cfm

    fails for all 3 books.

    Cold Fusion? What year is this??

    Error Occurred While Processing Request
    File not found: /pdf_loader.cfm

    Please try the following:
    a.. Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater
    detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging &
    Logging > Debugging Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information
    option.
    b.. Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are
    using the correct syntax.
    c.. Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your
    problem.

    Browser Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT
    5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR
    3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)
    Remote Address 00.00.00.00
    Referrer
    Date/Time 13-Jan-08 10:53 PM

    sloan, Jan 14, 2008

  2. sloan

    Leon Mayne Guest

    "sloan" <> wrote in message
    > The complaint is that
    > http://csna01.libredigital.com/pdf_loader.cfm
    > fails for all 3 books.

    I got this as well on one machine that didn't have Acrobat reader installed.
    Make sure you have Adobe Acrobat reader installed and try again. A blank
    page should appear for quite a while, but be patient and you'll get it in
    the end!

    Leon Mayne, Jan 14, 2008

  3. Works fine for me, Sloan.
    Do you have Adobe Reader installed ?

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  4. Oops, my apologies, Sloan.

    I thought you meant the previews.
    I now see you mean getting the actual free, complete, ebooks.

    Yes, I see the same problem you describe.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  5. RE: Free MS E-books // Linq, Ajax and Silverlight 1.0 // Downloadable

    This was working a few days ago as I was able to download all 3 books. Seems
    they've broken it in the interim. Complain to libredigital or whoever they
    are.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Jan 14, 2008
  6. Re: Free MS E-books // Linq, Ajax and Silverlight 1.0 // Downloadable

    re:
    !> Complain to libredigital or whoever they are

    For the record, I am not associated with them.

    <chuckle>

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  7. Re: Free MS E-books // Linq, Ajax and Silverlight 1.0 // Downloadable

    re:
    !> Complain to libredigital

    I just did, at
    Feel free to do so, too, to see if we can catch their attention.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  8. sloan

    Leon Mayne Guest

    > re:
    > !> Complain to libredigital or whoever they are
    >
    > For the record, I am not associated with them.
    >
    > <chuckle>

    :) Hadn't noticed that.

    Leon Mayne, Jan 14, 2008
  9. sloan

    sloan Guest

    They have fixed it.

    Must have been a weekend/nobody there to fix it..issue.

    Email from them:

    Thank you for contacting LibreDigital. Are developers are aware of the
    issue you reported and are currently addressing it. The titles will be
    available shortly. We appreciate your patience and continued interest in
    the Microsoft products.

    Best Regards

    LibreDigital
    Coretta B
    LibreDigital Sales Manager

    Wow, a contact form that actually goes somewhere!

    sloan, Jan 14, 2008
  10. sloan

    sloan Guest

    A friend just emailed me...and they're back down again.

    Server Overload?

    sloan, Jan 14, 2008
  11. sloan

    sloan Guest

    I'm surprised no one commented on my ColdFusion comment.

    CF just can't handle the load I guess.

    sloan, Jan 14, 2008
  12. re:
    !> A friend just emailed me...and they're back down again.

    Yup. It's never worked for me.

    re:
    !> Server Overload?

    Quite possibly. CF can't handle really heavy loads.
    Another possibility is that pdf_loader.cfm has been misconfigured.

    I complained to them about the situation via 2 ways,
    and received one reply in which they said they're looking into the problem.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  13. They're up...but I can only get the complete books for Ajax and LINQ.
    The Silverlight book is truncated at page 68.

    Anybody else see this, too ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 14, 2008
  14. sloan

    Leon Mayne Guest

    > They're up...but I can only get the complete books for Ajax and LINQ.
    > The Silverlight book is truncated at page 68.
    >
    > Anybody else see this, too ?

    Page 68 looks like the back cover, so I don't think this is a download
    problem. I presume we were meant to get the entire book? Page 67 says
    something about "In the next chapter you will learn..." so I think either:
    1) We wen't meant to get all of the book, or
    2) The person who converted it to an eBook was drunk
    I'm thinking (2).

    Leon Mayne, Jan 15, 2008
  15. sloan

    Chris Marsh Guest

    All

    "Leon Mayne" <leon@rmv_me.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Juan T. Llibre" <> wrote in message
    >> They're up...but I can only get the complete books for Ajax and LINQ.
    >> The Silverlight book is truncated at page 68.
    >>
    >> Anybody else see this, too ?

    > Page 68 looks like the back cover, so I don't think this is a download
    > problem. I presume we were meant to get the entire book? Page 67 says

    For me:

    The Linq book appears to be complete (including back cover) apart from the
    appendix.
    The Silverlight book has 68 pages, the last (except for the back cover) is
    numbered 142. According to the ToC the index should be on page 211.
    The Ajax book has 113 pages, the last of which (except for the back cover)
    is numbered 206. According to the ToC the index should be on page 295.

    I've contacted Libre Digital again with this information - hopefully they'll
    sort the documents out.

    [..]

    --
    Regards

    Chris Marsh

    Chris Marsh, Jan 15, 2008
  16. re:
    !> All

    I agree.

    The offer page ( http://csna01.libredigital.com/ ) says that :

    "You can now access all of the e-book content from the following three Microsoft Press print books:"
    If the promotion says : "You can now access all of the e-book content", why are the ebooks truncated ?

    re:
    > I've contacted Libre Digital again with this information - hopefully they'll sort the documents out.

    I also contacted Coretta Bell at libredigital, who replied to my earlier email
    about the download problem, hoping that she can set the wheels in motion
    for us to get the complete texts for the ebook.

    As soon as she replies, I'll post her answer here.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 15, 2008
  17. sloan

    Andrus Guest

    > I also contacted Coretta Bell at libredigital, who replied to my earlier
    > email
    > about the download problem, hoping that she can set the wheels in motion
    > for us to get the complete texts for the ebook.
    >
    > As soon as she replies, I'll post her answer here.

    >> The Linq book appears to be complete (including back cover) apart from
    >> the appendix.

    Entire ADO .NET Entity Framework chapter (starting at page 196) is still
    missing from Linq book.

    How to get this chapter ?

    Andrus.

    Andrus, Feb 15, 2008