Free MS E-books // Linq, Ajax and Silverlight 1.0 // Downloadable Books

sloan

This is a FYI, and a complaint.

http://csna01.libredigital.com/?urvs5cn3s8

Introducing Microsoft LINQ
by Paolo Pialorsi and Marco Russo
ISBN: 9780735623910

Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET AJAX
by Dino Esposito
ISBN: 9780735624139

Introducing Microsoft Silverlight 1.0
by Laurence Moroney
ISBN: 9780735625396

The FYI is about the 3 free ebooks.

The complaint is that

http://csna01.libredigital.com/pdf_loader.cfm

fails for all 3 books.

Cold Fusion? What year is this??

Error Occurred While Processing Request
File not found: /pdf_loader.cfm

Please try the following:
a.. Enable Robust Exception Information to provide greater
detail about the source of errors. In the Administrator, click Debugging &
Logging > Debugging Settings, and select the Robust Exception Information
option.
b.. Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are
using the correct syntax.
c.. Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your
problem.

Browser Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT
5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR
3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022)
Remote Address 00.00.00.00
Referrer
Date/Time 13-Jan-08 10:53 PM

Juan T. Llibre

Oops, my apologies, Sloan.

I thought you meant the previews.
I now see you mean getting the actual free, complete, ebooks.

Yes, I see the same problem you describe.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Complain to libredigital or whoever they are

For the record, I am not associated with them.

<chuckle>

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Complain to libredigital

I just did, at (e-mail address removed)
Feel free to do so, too, to see if we can catch their attention.

sloan

They have fixed it.

Must have been a weekend/nobody there to fix it..issue.

Email from them:

Thank you for contacting LibreDigital. Are developers are aware of the
issue you reported and are currently addressing it. The titles will be
available shortly. We appreciate your patience and continued interest in
the Microsoft products.

Best Regards

LibreDigital
Coretta B
LibreDigital Sales Manager

Wow, a contact form that actually goes somewhere!

sloan

I'm surprised no one commented on my ColdFusion comment.

CF just can't handle the load I guess.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> A friend just emailed me...and they're back down again.

Yup. It's never worked for me.

re:
!> Server Overload?

Quite possibly. CF can't handle really heavy loads.
Another possibility is that pdf_loader.cfm has been misconfigured.

I complained to them about the situation via 2 ways,
and received one reply in which they said they're looking into the problem.

Juan T. Llibre

They're up...but I can only get the complete books for Ajax and LINQ.
The Silverlight book is truncated at page 68.

Anybody else see this, too ?

Leon Mayne

Juan T. Llibre said:
They're up...but I can only get the complete books for Ajax and LINQ.
The Silverlight book is truncated at page 68.

Anybody else see this, too ?

Page 68 looks like the back cover, so I don't think this is a download
problem. I presume we were meant to get the entire book? Page 67 says
something about "In the next chapter you will learn..." so I think either:
1) We wen't meant to get all of the book, or
2) The person who converted it to an eBook was drunk
I'm thinking (2).

Chris Marsh

All

Leon Mayne said:
Page 68 looks like the back cover, so I don't think this is a download
problem. I presume we were meant to get the entire book? Page 67 says

For me:

The Linq book appears to be complete (including back cover) apart from the
appendix.
The Silverlight book has 68 pages, the last (except for the back cover) is
numbered 142. According to the ToC the index should be on page 211.
The Ajax book has 113 pages, the last of which (except for the back cover)
is numbered 206. According to the ToC the index should be on page 295.

I've contacted Libre Digital again with this information - hopefully they'll
sort the documents out.

[..]

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> All

I agree.

The offer page ( http://csna01.libredigital.com/ ) says that :

"You can now access all of the e-book content from the following three Microsoft Press print books:"
If the promotion says : "You can now access all of the e-book content", why are the ebooks truncated ?

re:
I've contacted Libre Digital again with this information - hopefully they'll sort the documents out.

I also contacted Coretta Bell at libredigital, who replied to my earlier email
about the download problem, hoping that she can set the wheels in motion
for us to get the complete texts for the ebook.

As soon as she replies, I'll post her answer here.

Chris Marsh said:
All

Leon Mayne said:
Page 68 looks like the back cover, so I don't think this is a download problem. I presume we were meant to get the
entire book? Page 67 says

For me:

The Linq book appears to be complete (including back cover) apart from the appendix.
The Silverlight book has 68 pages, the last (except for the back cover) is numbered 142. According to the ToC the
index should be on page 211.
The Ajax book has 113 pages, the last of which (except for the back cover) is numbered 206. According to the ToC the
index should be on page 295.

I've contacted Libre Digital again with this information - hopefully they'll sort the documents out.

[..]

Andrus

I also contacted Coretta Bell at libredigital, who replied to my earlier
email
about the download problem, hoping that she can set the wheels in motion
for us to get the complete texts for the ebook.

As soon as she replies, I'll post her answer here.

Entire ADO .NET Entity Framework chapter (starting at page 196) is still
missing from Linq book.

How to get this chapter ?

Andrus.