    Thanks,
    TechTest
    , Jan 5, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > I am looking out for some online assessment tests in C++ which would
    > help me get an in-depth knowledge of C++ from both interview point of
    > view and certifications point of view. I am actually trying to take up
    > some FREE online tests before I go for the original certifications.
    > Could you please let me know of some sites which provide us with such
    > free tests?
    >
    > Also I would like to list out all possible questions in C++ again from
    > both interview's point of view and certifications point of view. If
    > anyone can help me with this, it would be great.

    I don't know of any online tests, either free or paid, but I will try
    to help you by giving you free advice: knowing C++ and passing a test
    are two different things, and many employers know that. If you hope
    to get a decent job doing C++ programming, learn C++. Don't just learn
    it to get certified (are there really any certifications on C++? I do
    recall something in this newsgroup about certifications but don't
    remember if somebody actually named any) or to be able to answer some
    common interview questions.

    Also, here is a piece of my experience: no online assessment tests can
    give you _in-depth_ knowledge. That type of knowledge comes from using
    C++, not from reading web pages.

    Oh, I remember some kind of online test I looked at once, which if you
    take you could call yourself an expert or something, but I don't recall
    it having any weight at interviews or on a resume. Google for it...

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 5, 2006

  3. Neil Cerutti Guest

    On 2006-01-05, Victor Bazarov <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I am looking out for some online assessment tests in C++ which would
    >> help me get an in-depth knowledge of C++ from both interview point of
    >> view and certifications point of view. I am actually trying to take up
    >> some FREE online tests before I go for the original certifications.
    >> Could you please let me know of some sites which provide us with such
    >> free tests?
    >>
    >> Also I would like to list out all possible questions in C++ again from
    >> both interview's point of view and certifications point of view. If
    >> anyone can help me with this, it would be great.

    > Oh, I remember some kind of online test I looked at once, which
    > if you take you could call yourself an expert or something, but
    > I don't recall it having any weight at interviews or on a
    > resume. Google for it...

    Verily, a Google search turned up a lot of hits.

    Here's one: http://www.expertrating.com/c test.asp. It seems to
    cost $9.95 US, with $5.00 US for retries. Apparently the test is
    reentrant.

    But likely you can't get a certification worth a damn for just $9.95.
    Given the usual quality of free C++ tutorials on the web, unless
    a test is peer-reviewed it's likely to be filled with errors.

    --
    Neil Cerutti
    Neil Cerutti, Jan 5, 2006

    Hey,

    I know there a good few companies out there that won't let you in the
    door without an A score in brainbench. www.brainbench.com

    It's easy to get a high score if you study. Be prepared to get a lousy
    score first time (unless you're name is victor bazarov), then you'll
    get a feel for the type of questions they ask (you'll be disgusted the
    first time you take the test). The second time round you'll be prepared
    and will score ok. things that they ask include order of construction
    for classes that inherit virtually, using set_new_handler correctly,
    being able to parse the syntax for pointers to functions e.g. this type
    of stuff (except uglier);

    int (* minus)(int,int)

    other stuff includes the unnamed namespace, ugly pointer arithmetic,
    assumptions about the size of various datatypes (whats platform
    specific, what isn't), exceptions, new style casts (with pointers,
    references, unrelated types etc, exceptions thrown when casting
    pointers versus bad_cast with references, They offer a sample test at;

    http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/taketest.xml?testId=54

    as Mister Bazarov says it won't make you a good programmer but it might
    get you to interview stage.

    For the record I managed to get the top score of all the candidates
    interviewed however the test was in no way a good benchmark of my
    ability.... I definitely ain't that good and struggle a lot of the time
    (fook I hope that doesn't come back to haunt me). Start by taking their
    sample test if you're interested. Don't pay them any money though. If a
    company needs a brainbench score before they interview you, they
    usually pay. Victor Bazarovs advice is sound, just program if you want
    to be profecient.

    hope that helps.

    GrahamO

    PS I didn't get that job! :)
    , Jan 5, 2006
  5. JustBoo Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 06:45:50 -0800, "" <>
    wrote:
    >I know there a good few companies out there that won't let you in the
    >door without an A score in brainbench. www.brainbench.com

    I took that test a few years back and found many of the questions
    absolutely ambiguous. I had the distinct feeling the guys(s) that
    wrote it didn't understand the concepts themselves and were just
    taking questions from FAQs and online tutorials. In fact, I remember I
    found some out-right mistakes and pointed these out to the company I
    was interviewing with.

    This was at a scientific instrument company, and I did get the job.
    :) This company used brainbench because there was not one
    manager that knew how to code in C++. And of course they couldn't
    trust the insane code monkeys, so....

    Maybe the test has improved since then?

    "Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it."
    - Winston Churchill
    JustBoo, Jan 5, 2006