Free Ruby "Cookbook" (48.71% done)

Randy Lawrence

Anyone know if this is moving along or stalled?

Here's the current status from:

PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

Table of Contents
Foreword
1. Strings (89.5%)
2. Numbers (94.7%)
3. Dates and Times (91.7%)
4. Arrays (100.0%)
5. Hashes (94.1%)
6. Pattern Matching (18.8%)
7. File Access (41.3%)
8. File Contents (28.6%)
9. Directories (76.9%)
10. Subroutines (100.0%)
11. References and Records (6.2%)
12. Packages, Libraries, and Modules (60.0%)
13. Classes, Objects, and Ties (56.2%)
14. Database Access (58.3%)
15. User Interfaces (10.5%)
16. Process Management and Communication (18.2%)
17. Sockets (10.5%)
18. Internet Services (0.0%)
19. CGI Programming (20.0%)
20. Web Automation (3.1%)
A. Helpers

Jeffrey Dik

Stalled or moving extremely slowly, I think. I looked at it a while ago
and I don't think it's changed much.

If you pretend that you're solving those problems and ask ruby-talk once
a day, it could be completed in no time... and you'd have 20 different
working implimentations for each problem :)

Jeff

Phil Tomson

[...]

It has certainly slowed down, but Ruby isn't the only language in
the project that's slowed down. I've been on the PLEAC email list for a
couple of years now
and I only see submissions once or twice a month (for any of the
languages that are being worked on). It seems that some folks on the
list are reaching the conclusion that not every feature maps between Perl
and each other language identically (and that's often a good thing). For
example, Perl has ties but in Ruby there is very little (if any) need for
them so you won't find any Ruby code for that section. Another example:
there is a Perl section on References - what kind of Ruby code can you
come up with to match that section (and do you really need to?)?

In other cases there there are sections that are covered in Perl which
are quite trivial in Ruby (the section on objects for examle).

Phil

Martin DeMello

Randy Lawrence said:
Anyone know if this is moving along or stalled?

Here's the current status from:

PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

Gavin Sinclair started a separate effort, which I took over but have not
been able to do anything for yet :( It's on
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-cookbook/ - I'm tied up for the next
couple of weeks, but I'll make a serious effort to get it up and running
with an easy submission process come August.

martin

Gavin Sinclair

Randy Lawrence said:
Gavin Sinclair started a separate effort, which I took over but have not
been able to do anything for yet :( It's on
http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-cookbook/ - I'm tied up for the next
couple of weeks, but I'll make a serious effort to get it up and running
with an easy submission process come August.

Let me just point out for interested readers that the cookbook Martin
refers to was a copy n paste from PLEAC, with a little effort injected by
myself and some Sydney colleagues about two years ago. The idea is this:
the PLEAC project treats all languages as substitutes for Perl, and is
concerned only with code, not with education. So the PLEAC project and
the Ruby Cookbook project can swap code all they like, while maintaining
their own focus.

There have been a few attempts to create a Ruby cookbook, with none
ultimately succeeding :(

Gavin

Gavin Sinclair

I wrote, in part:
So the PLEAC project and the Ruby Cookbook project can swap code all
they like, while maintaining their own focus.

One more comment. Two years ago, there were less English-language Ruby
resources available, and perceptions were different. The motivation for
the cookbook was different then that it would be now. Its purpose should
be to take an interesting *subset* of the available "recipes" and present
a good Ruby style, as well as links to relevant resources.

That would be enough of a challenge, and a great resourse, without trying
to cover every corner of The Perl Cookbook, and without trying to show the
10 different ways you can do something.

Cheers,
Gavin

Karl von Laudermann

Gavin Sinclair said:
There have been a few attempts to create a Ruby cookbook, with none
ultimately succeeding :(

Actually, I thought there was a successful and complete Ruby cookbook:
The Ruby Way, by Hal Fulton. It's not available online, though.

Randy Lawrence

Karl said:
Actually, I thought there was a successful and complete Ruby cookbook:
The Ruby Way, by Hal Fulton. It's not available online, though.

Any news if it'll be updated for Ruby 1.8 series?

I've heard great things about the book and Ruby 1.8 has a lot of new
features.

Gavin Sinclair

Actually, I thought there was a successful and complete Ruby cookbook:
The Ruby Way, by Hal Fulton. It's not available online, though.

That was in my mind while I wrote the comment. However, TRW is about
as thick as the Perl Cookbook, and is not entirely devoted to recipes
(and nor should it be).

A Ruby Cookbook would be fat on code, and thin on discussions about
"dynamicitiy" :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Hal Fulton

Karl said:
Actually, I thought there was a successful and complete Ruby cookbook:
The Ruby Way, by Hal Fulton. It's not available online, though.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

If you're an O'Reilly Safari subscriber, it is available online.

In fact, I recently heard that there were bootleg copies out there
on the web. :/ Good for Ruby, perhaps, but not good for the
publisher.

Hal

Hal Fulton

Randy said:
Any news if it'll be updated for Ruby 1.8 series?

I've heard great things about the book and Ruby 1.8 has a lot of new
features.

*Some* of 1.8 is already in there, especially in the appendix.

I'd like to do a 2nd edition. There's been discussion of it, and I've
taken extensive notes.

But it would be almost as much work to update it as it was to write it
in the first place. And there is the issue of size, since it is already
50% bigger in the first edition than it was planned to be.

I'd love to include an example for every web framework out there. How
many pages would THAT entail? Not to mention man-hours of coding and
debugging before the writing started.

Hal

Karsten Meier

Randy said:
Anyone know if this is moving along or stalled?

Here's the current status from:

PLEAC - Programming Language Examples Alike Cookbook
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac_ruby/

I have contributed 18 recipes over the last year, so it is not stalled.
But a single recipe is only 0.3 % of the whole book, and there were not
many other contributions,
so the perceived moving is quite slow.
But when I use google to find help for a ruby problem, I find quite often
the pleac cookbook recipes, so I think the project is quite useful.
And if you want to know how ruby and python are different, here you see
it in real live examples.

There are still some pretty easy recipes open, but for most recipes I have
needed more than an hour to check what is really needed, write it ruby,
test it that it is really correct, and try to bring it in a form that I
think the reader would
like to read, and ensure that the style (like spacing ) matches the
other entries.

The more complex recipes are difficult to translate in a different
language if you don't have the
context, So I think for most recipes you need to have the perl cookbook
to make a good contribution.
But if have the Perl Cookbook, you can get very deep insights during the
"translation"
of a recipe.

But lets look where more contributions are helpful, so you can see were
you can contribute:
Table of Contents
Foreword
1. Strings (89.5%)
2. Numbers (94.7%)
We miss an entry how to make real random numbers.
3. Dates and Times (91.7%)
4. Arrays (100.0%)
5. Hashes (94.1%)
6. Pattern Matching (18.8%)
This section needs some more contribution. But you need to know perls
and rubys regular expression
to translate it.
7. File Access (41.3%)
8. File Contents (28.6%)
9. Directories (76.9%)
There are a lot of open entries in the file and directories chapters
10. Subroutines (100.0%)
11. References and Records (6.2%)
Some of the entries a very easy to write in ruby,
like "Making Hashes of Arrays ", basically you need to tell the reader
that it is really so simple, but there are also some which you need a
little more work
12. Packages, Libraries, and Modules (60.0%)
There are recipes about integrating C code. It would be great if
somebody can contribute for them
13. Classes, Objects, and Ties (56.2%)
I have a few recipes for this section in my queue. I will ask here about
some problems I have with them.
14. Database Access (58.3%)
Some recipes with the bdb database are open
15. User Interfaces (10.5%)
Open recipes about
* terminal I/O
* curses
* TK
16. Process Management and Communication (18.2%)
Pipes, shared variables, signals and signal handler open
17. Sockets (10.5%) Mostly open
18. Internet Services (0.0%)
DNS, FTP, News, Email, Ping.
A lot of open entries which are quite simple.
19. CGI Programming (20.0%)
20. Web Automation (3.1%)
And of course a lot more examples about web programming are needed.

If you want to contribute, check the sections 6 and 7 of the FAQ at:
http://pleac.sourceforge.net/pleac-faq.html

Regards

Karsten Meier