Free script wanted: select options on page, get result on same page

Samuel Murray

G'day everyone

I'm a user of an opensource program that offers different versions for
different types of users. It can be confusing to users to know which
version to download. There are versions for people with Windows, with
Linux and with Mac OSX. There are versions for people with Java
installed and without Java installed. There are versions for people
who needs only common functions and for people with extra needs.

What I would like to do is have a form on the web page with radio
buttons that users can click to specify their need, and when they
click "Submit", the same web page should tell them which version of
the program is most ideal for them.

So, the web page would contain:

1. What operating system do you have?

1A. I have Windows
1B. I have Linux
1C. I have MacOSX

2. Do you have Java on your computer?

2A. Yes
2B. No
2C. Don't know

3. Do you want the version with extra, experimental features?

3A. No, just the normal version
3B. Yes, the version with extra features
3C. Don't know

and if a user selects 1A, 2A and 3B, he'd get a message saying "You
need to get version XYZ of the program" (being the version that is for
Windows, without Java, and with extra features).

Can anyone point me to a simple script that does this?

I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
called, and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what
they used to be.

Thanks
Samuel (leuce, voetleuce)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Samuel said:
What I would like to do is have a form on the web page with radio
buttons that users can click to specify their need, and when they
click "Submit", the same web page should tell them which version of
the program is most ideal for them.

Good luck.
So, the web page would contain:
[...]
[requirements]

Can anyone point me to a simple script that does this?
No.

I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
called,

Perhaps a "multiple choice form"? But it doesn't really matter anyway.
and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what they used
to be.

True. So, why don't you try to write a better one?

PointedEars

Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray wrote:
Perhaps a "multiple choice form"?  But it doesn't really matter anyway.

Thanks. That seems to do the trick. Also adding "quiz" into the mix
seems to help.
True.  So, why don't you try to write a better one?

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the quality of the
scripts are poor. I meant that the quality of the search results in
Google are poor. For some subject fields, Google seems more prone to
be duped by grey hat SEO, which leads to less useful results. My
comment does not relate to the quality of scripts.

Samuel (leuce, voetleuce)

David Mark

Samuel said:
Thanks. That seems to do the trick. Also adding "quiz" into the mix
seems to help.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the quality of the
scripts are poor.

But make no mistake that, in general, they are. It is best to assume
that any free script you find on the Web is a piece of junk until proven
otherwise (and that takes dissecting it, which sort of defeats the purpose).
I meant that the quality of the search results in
Google are poor.

No question there either. One of the worst problems is that virtually
every Web developer on the planet thinks they need to include the text
"You must enable Javascript" on every miserable page they create. You
can guess the result of that.
For some subject fields, Google seems more prone to
be duped by grey hat SEO, which leads to less useful results. My
comment does not relate to the quality of scripts.

But it certainly does apply. ;)