Free script wanted: select options on page, get result on same page

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Samuel Murray, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. G'day everyone

    I'm a user of an opensource program that offers different versions for
    different types of users. It can be confusing to users to know which
    version to download. There are versions for people with Windows, with
    Linux and with Mac OSX. There are versions for people with Java
    installed and without Java installed. There are versions for people
    who needs only common functions and for people with extra needs.

    What I would like to do is have a form on the web page with radio
    buttons that users can click to specify their need, and when they
    click "Submit", the same web page should tell them which version of
    the program is most ideal for them.

    So, the web page would contain:

    1. What operating system do you have?

    1A. I have Windows
    1B. I have Linux
    1C. I have MacOSX

    2. Do you have Java on your computer?

    2A. Yes
    2B. No
    2C. Don't know

    3. Do you want the version with extra, experimental features?

    3A. No, just the normal version
    3B. Yes, the version with extra features
    3C. Don't know

    and if a user selects 1A, 2A and 3B, he'd get a message saying "You
    need to get version XYZ of the program" (being the version that is for
    Windows, without Java, and with extra features).

    Can anyone point me to a simple script that does this?

    I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
    called, and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what
    they used to be.

    Thanks
    Samuel (leuce, voetleuce)
    Samuel Murray, Feb 22, 2010

  2. Samuel Murray wrote:

    > What I would like to do is have a form on the web page with radio
    > buttons that users can click to specify their need, and when they
    > click "Submit", the same web page should tell them which version of
    > the program is most ideal for them.

    Good luck.

    > So, the web page would contain:
    > [...]
    > [requirements]
    >
    > Can anyone point me to a simple script that does this?

    No.

    > I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
    > called,

    Perhaps a "multiple choice form"? But it doesn't really matter anyway.

    > and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what they used
    > to be.

    True. So, why don't you try to write a better one?

    PointedEars
    --
    realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
    evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Feb 22, 2010

  3. Re: Free script wanted: select options on page, get result on samepage

    On Feb 22, 2:25 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    wrote:

    > Samuel Murray wrote:

    > > I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
    > > called,

    > Perhaps a "multiple choice form"?  But it doesn't really matter anyway.

    Thanks. That seems to do the trick. Also adding "quiz" into the mix
    seems to help.

    > > and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what they used
    > > to be.

    > True.  So, why don't you try to write a better one?

    I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the quality of the
    scripts are poor. I meant that the quality of the search results in
    Google are poor. For some subject fields, Google seems more prone to
    be duped by grey hat SEO, which leads to less useful results. My
    comment does not relate to the quality of scripts.

    Samuel (leuce, voetleuce)
    Samuel Murray, Feb 22, 2010
  4. Samuel Murray

    David Mark Guest

    Samuel Murray wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:25 pm, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Samuel Murray wrote:

    >>> I googled for this but I'm not sure what this type of form would be
    >>> called,

    >> Perhaps a "multiple choice form"? But it doesn't really matter anyway.

    > Thanks. That seems to do the trick. Also adding "quiz" into the mix
    > seems to help.
    >
    >>> and these days Google results for free scripts aren't what they used
    >>> to be.

    >> True. So, why don't you try to write a better one?

    > I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean that the quality of the
    > scripts are poor.

    But make no mistake that, in general, they are. It is best to assume
    that any free script you find on the Web is a piece of junk until proven
    otherwise (and that takes dissecting it, which sort of defeats the purpose).

    > I meant that the quality of the search results in
    > Google are poor.

    No question there either. One of the worst problems is that virtually
    every Web developer on the planet thinks they need to include the text
    "You must enable Javascript" on every miserable page they create. You
    can guess the result of that.

    > For some subject fields, Google seems more prone to
    > be duped by grey hat SEO, which leads to less useful results. My
    > comment does not relate to the quality of scripts.

    But it certainly does apply. ;)
    David Mark, Feb 22, 2010