Free Store of memory

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by George2, Nov 12, 2007.

  1. George2

    George2 Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I am learning the storage area of Windows memory, but I am not sure
    what is the usage for Free Store area, what is the differences between
    Free Store area and heap area?

    http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/009.htm

    --------------------
    Free Store The free store is one of the two dynamic memory
    areas, allocated/freed by new/delete. Object
    lifetime can be less than the time the storage
    is allocated; that is, free store objects can
    have memory allocated without being immediately
    initialized, and can be destroyed without the
    memory being immediately deallocated. During
    the period when the storage is allocated but
    outside the object's lifetime, the storage may
    be accessed and manipulated through a void* but
    none of the proto-object's nonstatic members or
    member functions may be accessed, have their
    addresses taken, or be otherwise manipulated.
    --------------------

    Could anyone provide more information or sample please?

    thanks in advance,
    George
    George2, Nov 12, 2007

  2. George2

    Mark Bluemel Guest

    George2 wrote:
    > Hello everyone,
    >

    > I am learning the storage area of Windows memory, but I am not sure
    > what is the usage for Free Store area, what is the differences between
    > Free Store area and heap area?
    >
    > http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/009.htm
    >
    > --------------------
    > Free Store The free store is one of the two dynamic memory
    > areas, allocated/freed by new/delete. Object
    > lifetime can be less than the time the storage
    > is allocated; that is, free store objects can
    > have memory allocated without being immediately
    > initialized, and can be destroyed without the
    > memory being immediately deallocated. During
    > the period when the storage is allocated but
    > outside the object's lifetime, the storage may
    > be accessed and manipulated through a void* but
    > none of the proto-object's nonstatic members or
    > member functions may be accessed, have their
    > addresses taken, or be otherwise manipulated.
    > --------------------
    >
    > Could anyone provide more information or sample please?

    This appears to be specific to Microsoft and C++. You should ask in a
    forum related to Microsoft and C++.

    The C language has no new/delete operations, nor does it have the
    concept of a Free Store or, for that matter, a heap.
    Mark Bluemel, Nov 12, 2007

  3. George2

    santosh Guest

    In article <>,
    George2 <> wrote on Monday 12 Nov 2007 5:02
    pm:

    > Hello everyone,
    >

    > I am learning the storage area of Windows memory, but I am not sure
    > what is the usage for Free Store area, what is the differences between
    > Free Store area and heap area?

    As far as I know "Free store" is a term defined in C++. Generally it's
    synonymous with the heap. It's a pool of unnamed memory from which
    runtime allocations are satisfied.

    C does not use the term Free store, so to get further advice please
    either post in a C++ group like <news:comp.lang.c++> or a general
    programming group like <news:comp.programming> or a system specific
    group like <news:comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32>.

    <snip>
    santosh, Nov 12, 2007