Free Store of memory

George2

Hello everyone,

I am learning the storage area of Windows memory, but I am not sure
what is the usage for Free Store area, what is the differences between
Free Store area and heap area?

http://www.gotw.ca/gotw/009.htm

--------------------
Free Store The free store is one of the two dynamic memory
areas, allocated/freed by new/delete. Object
lifetime can be less than the time the storage
is allocated; that is, free store objects can
have memory allocated without being immediately
initialized, and can be destroyed without the
memory being immediately deallocated. During
the period when the storage is allocated but
outside the object's lifetime, the storage may
be accessed and manipulated through a void* but
none of the proto-object's nonstatic members or
member functions may be accessed, have their
addresses taken, or be otherwise manipulated.
--------------------

Could anyone provide more information or sample please?

thanks in advance,
George

Mark Bluemel

George2 said:
[...]

This appears to be specific to Microsoft and C++. You should ask in a
forum related to Microsoft and C++.

The C language has no new/delete operations, nor does it have the
concept of a Free Store or, for that matter, a heap.

santosh

Hello everyone,

I am learning the storage area of Windows memory, but I am not sure
what is the usage for Free Store area, what is the differences between
Free Store area and heap area?

As far as I know "Free store" is a term defined in C++. Generally it's
synonymous with the heap. It's a pool of unnamed memory from which
runtime allocations are satisfied.

C does not use the term Free store, so to get further advice please
either post in a C++ group like <or a general
programming group like <or a system specific
group like <
<snip>