free tool to generate XML DTD from user input (GUI)

Holger Zimmermann

Hello,

My intention is to produce XML DTD's more convinient than using a text
editor.

While looking for a tool to write XML DTD's, I only found those which
need an input file. I can not provide one.

What I need is an application generating a XML DTD as described by the
user usig some GUI.
I will probably need to modify or extend the tool later. Thus I would
need the source code as well.

Did anybody hear of such a tool or project ?

regards,
Holger

Peter Flynn

Holger said:
Hello,

My intention is to produce XML DTD's more convinient than using a text
editor.

While looking for a tool to write XML DTD's, I only found those which
need an input file. I can not provide one.

What I need is an application generating a XML DTD as described by the
user using some GUI.
I will probably need to modify or extend the tool later. Thus I would
need the source code as well.

Did anybody hear of such a tool or project ?

Yes, there have been several of them, and they are described in my book
on SGML and XML Tools. But the only ones in common use now seem to be
the interface within XML Spy, and some more restricted applications like
corporate information-structure-planning models. The excellent standalone
Windows program Near&Far seems to have disappeared from view.

If you'd like to write an Open Source tool, I think everyone would be
very grateful. But it's not an easy task, which is why so many people
write DTDs by hand.

///Peter