    Can anyone explain this?

    Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
    reliable source (no malware etc)?
    Bob, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Bob

    Galen Guest

    In news:eek:Sp%d.1494$,
    Bob <> had this to say:

    > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First
    > Edition.
    >
    > I have a file at
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml
    >
    > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C
    > validator (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
    > (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this?
    >
    > Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
    > completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

    I can't explain it. I've no idea but there's this utility for you as you
    wanted a free safe unicode editor.

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/notepad2.html

    Galen

    Galen, Mar 21, 2005

  3. Bob

    V S Rawat Guest

    On 3/21/05 7:27 AM India Time, _Bob_ wrote:

    > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
    >
    > I have a file at
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml
    >
    > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
    > (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
    > (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this?
    >
    > Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
    > reliable source (no malware etc)?

    Search for a javabased FREE unicode editor "SIMREDO"

    search on the net and download its latest version from their
    site.

    In case of any problem you can contact its developer
    Mr Klivo Lendon <indriko at yahoo dot com>

    works on 98SE as well xp etc.
    --
    Rawat
    V S Rawat, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Hi there

    Bob wrote:

    > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
    >
    > I have a file at
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_accents_without_entities.xml
    >
    > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad, but the W3C validator
    > (http://validator.w3.org/) & the web valet validator
    > (http://valet.webthing.com/page/) indicate its screwed up somehow.
    >
    > Can anyone explain this?

    Take a look with a hex editor.
    This file is _NOT_ UTF-8 but UTF-16LE.
    And notepad tends to insert a BOM.

    > Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a completely
    > reliable source (no malware etc)?

    AFIAK Yudit is available for Mac, Windows and unix;
    http://yudit.org/download/binary/

    Vr.Gr,
    Rob
    | Bribe the European Commission |
    | http://mjr.iki.fi/texts/patentfund |
    Rob van der Putten, Mar 21, 2005
  5. "Bob" <> wrote:

    > I have a file at
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_
    > accents_without_entities.xml
    >
    > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad,

    It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
    ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
    the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
    encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.

    So you need a different approach.

    > Is there a free unicode editor for win 98 FE available from a
    > completely reliable source (no malware etc)?

    There's no such thing as completely reliable source. (Would you rate
    Microsoft as completely reliable for example?)

    But see
    http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/utilities.html#win
    which has a nice collection of pointers to useful Unicode editors.
    For editing Web pages, NVU ( http://www.nvu.com ) might be a good idea;
    it has been developed from Netscape/Mozilla Composer, and it's gaining
    popularity.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 21, 2005
  6. Bob

    Dan Guest

    Consider upgrading to 98SE for WMP 9, better driver management, USB 2.0
    through 3rd parties, more critical updates, best 9x operating system, imho,
    etc.

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    : I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
    :
    : I have a file at
    :
    Dan, Mar 21, 2005
  7. Bob

    Dan Guest

    VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
    Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
    Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x line
    is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
    weaknesses in the NT (New Technology --- aka Not There called by Microsoft
    Engineers and I think even Bill Gates in the past --- first is true because I
    read it in a book) In addition, any ideas on how to get a hold of the active
    firewall that will shut down computer networks when users hack your
    machine -- I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
    need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
    if need be --- up to $300 but must be real --- TIA and have a nice day ---
    BTW, you can probably tell that I worked for the U.S. government -- LOL

    "V S Rawat" <> wrote in message
    : On 3/21/05 7:27 AM India Time, _Bob_ wrote:
    :
    : > I'm trying to create a file in unicode format under win98 First Edition.
    : >
    : > I have a file at
    : >
[...]
    : --
    : Rawat
    Dan, Mar 21, 2005
  8. Bob

    Brian A. Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
    > need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be high
    > if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---

    Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you want
    that type of security.

    --

    Brian A.

    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    Brian A., Mar 21, 2005
  9. Bob

    Dan Guest

    Dang -- $3000 bucks --- well I don't have that kind of cash laying around but
    thanks for the input anyway. <smile>

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    : "Dan" <> wrote in message
    : > I know the U.S. Military uses it to protect their networks and I
    : > need an offensive system as well as a defensive system -- price can be
    high
    : > if need be --- up to $300 but must be real ---
    :
    : Better add another 0 on the end of that, and go with a Cisco server if you
    want
    : that type of security.
    :
    :
    : --
    :
    : Brian A.
    :
    : Conflicts start where information lacks.
    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Dan" <> wrote in message
    > VS Rawat, I am on Arizona time --- 7:00 ----- by the way, have you used
    > Unix/Linux and/or Apple software/hardware and do you like them better than
    > Microsoft operating systems? I am considering jumping ship after the 9x

    line
    > is ended on 30 June 2006 to Linux/Unix and Apple because of the underlying
    > weaknesses in the NT

    This is off my topic, but my Dad, who was using Win 98 SE has just bought a
    Mac. Two of my brothers & a nephew already use Macs. I've never met anyone
    who's used both Windows and a Mac who didn't prefer the Mac

    Linux is popular with people 30 years old & younger who work in Computing or
    did Computer Science degrees. I suspect for non-techies it may be very time
    consuming to keep a Linux system up to date & figure out how things work.
    Bob, Mar 22, 2005
  11. Bob

    Bob Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    > "Bob" <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a file at
    > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_
    > > accents_without_entities.xml
    > >
    > > This was saved as a unicode text file using Notepad,

    > It claims to be UTF-8 encoded but isn't. The accented characters are in
    > ISO 8859-1 encoding, and using NUL octets won't save the day. Besides,
    > the server sends it with Content-Type: text/xml without indicating the
    > encoding, hence implying US-ASCII, and then there are troubles ahead.

    Thanks Jukka . How did you determine the actual encoding? Is there some
    utility I can use to easilly check future files?
    Bob, Mar 22, 2005
  12. Hi there

    Bob wrote:

    > This is off my topic, but my Dad, who was using Win 98 SE has just bought a
    > Mac. Two of my brothers & a nephew already use Macs. I've never met anyone
    > who's used both Windows and a Mac who didn't prefer the Mac

    I know several people who use a Mac. I consider them to be people of
    good taste.

    > Linux is popular with people 30 years old & younger

    Just about everone I know using Linux or FreeBSD is older then 30.

    > who work in Computing or
    > did Computer Science degrees.

    Or physics, astronomy or even philosophy or photography.
    In fact, in my experience the best programmers are philosophers. They
    know all about concepts and ideas and are therefore great at
    abstractions.

    > I suspect for non-techies it may be very time
    > consuming to keep a Linux system up to date & figure out how things work.

    Well at least it's possible to figure things out.

    Regards,
    Rob van der Putten, Mar 22, 2005
  13. Bob

    Dan Guest

    Thanks Bob --- Unix/Linux and perhaps even Apple are definately in my future.
    Have a nice day! :>

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  14. Bob

    Dan Guest

    Good point, Rob. BTW, what is the link about bribing the EU? It did not
    make sense to me. Have a great day!

    "Rob van der Putten" <> wrote in message
    : Hi there
    :
    :
    :
    : +----------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  15. Bob

    Dan Guest

    I actually want a reply to that as well. Great Point, Bob. :>

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    : "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    : news:Xns9620A873B72BDjkorpelacstutfi@193.229.0.31...
    : > "Bob" <> wrote:
    : >
    : > > I have a file at
    : > > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.a.mccartney/test/test_file_for_utf-8_
    : > > accents_without_entities.xml
    : > >
    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  16. Hi there

    Dan wrote:

    > Good point, Rob. BTW, what is the link about bribing the EU? It did not
    > make sense to me. Have a great day!

    The European Commission (EC) and the European- (EP) and member state
    parliaments have opposing views considering software patents.
    And since the EC is bending and even breaking all the rules and
    procedures, trampling democracy, lying to both voters and their
    representatives [1], one assumes that the EC is being bribed by
    multinationals [2].
    However, half a bilion europeans should be able to pay more money then
    any multinational. Hence the signature.

    [1] http://www.ffii.org/
    [2] There about two EU compagnies in favor of software patents.
    Te rest is against.

    Rob van der Putten, Mar 22, 2005
  17. Bob

    Dan Guest

    Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it. Hopefully, Europe can get it
    all sorted out soon. Have a nice day!

    "Rob van der Putten" <> wrote in message
    : Hi there
    :
    :
    :
    Dan, Mar 22, 2005
  18. "Bob" <> wrote:

    > Thanks Jukka . How did you determine the actual encoding?

    Well, the way I did it was simply telnet to the server using port 80
    and then speaking HTTP. There are simpler ways too.

    > Is there
    > some utility I can use to easilly check future files?

    http://www.delorie.com/web/headers.html

    (Using browsers for the purpose is unsafe, since they do not
    distinguish their guesses from the data they actually get. And
    different browsers guess differently.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 22, 2005