Free vhdl tool?

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Ingo Rose, Jul 23, 2004.

  1. Ingo Rose

    Ingo Rose Guest

    Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
    systems?

    Regards,
    Ingo rose
    Ingo Rose, Jul 23, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Ingo Rose

    Don Golding Guest

    I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...

    Don
    "Ingo Rose" <> wrote in message
    news:BD261918.5E12%...
    > Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
    > systems?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ingo rose
    >
    Don Golding, Jul 24, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Saturday 24 July 2004 15:56, in comp.lang.vhdl, Don Golding wrote:
    > "Ingo Rose" <> wrote in message
    > news:BD261918.5E12%...
    >> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
    >> systems?
    >>

    > I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...
    >


    Is this really true? Last time I checked, you had to buy the full commercial
    version to have Linux support.

    That said, these days I've ditched commercial VHDL simulators, and do almost
    all of my work simulation with ghdl and gtkwave.

    --
    Wesley J. Landaker <>
    OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2
    Wesley J. Landaker, Jul 25, 2004
    #3
  4. Ingo Rose

    Don Golding Guest

    I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
    Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
    WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
    Partition...

    Don

    "Wesley J. Landaker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Saturday 24 July 2004 15:56, in comp.lang.vhdl, Don Golding wrote:
    > > "Ingo Rose" <> wrote in message
    > > news:BD261918.5E12%...
    > >> Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
    > >> systems?
    > >>

    > > I believe Altera Quartus II is available in Linux and it's free...
    > >

    >
    > Is this really true? Last time I checked, you had to buy the full

    commercial
    > version to have Linux support.
    >
    > That said, these days I've ditched commercial VHDL simulators, and do

    almost
    > all of my work simulation with ghdl and gtkwave.
    >
    > --
    > Wesley J. Landaker <>
    > OpenPGP FP: 4135 2A3B 4726 ACC5 9094 0097 F0A9 8A4C 4CD6 E3D2
    >
    Don Golding, Jul 26, 2004
    #4
  5. Ingo Rose

    C Guest

    "Ingo Rose" <> wrote in message
    news:BD261918.5E12%...
    > Ist there a graphical vhdl tool available for macintosh osx or linux
    > systems?
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ingo rose
    >


    The Xilinx ISE software can run in WINE, I think. Do a search in google for
    it. Also, take a look at:

    http://www-asim.lip6.fr/recherche/alliance/

    It's the Alliance toolkit, designed for Linux.
    C, Jul 26, 2004
    #5
  6. Tuukka Toivonen, Jul 28, 2004
    #6
  7. Ingo Rose

    Uwe Bonnes Guest

    Don Golding <> wrote:
    : I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
    : Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
    : WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
    : Partition...

    Quartus had more problems then ISE when running with wine, last tim I
    tried. Most problems of Quartus where caused by the License Setup.

    Bye

    --
    Uwe Bonnes -darmstadt.de

    Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt
    --------- Tel. 06151 162516 -------- Fax. 06151 164321 ----------
    Uwe Bonnes, Jul 28, 2004
    #7
  8. Ingo Rose

    Ken Smith Guest

    In article <ce86b1$6qv$-darmstadt.de>,
    Uwe Bonnes <-darmstadt.de> wrote:
    >Don Golding <> wrote:
    >: I just checked the website and you are right, the Windows version is free,
    >: Linux requires a subscription. I wonder if the Windows version would run on
    >: WINE? I like the Quartus II... or use Partition Magic to create a Windows
    >: Partition...
    >
    >Quartus had more problems then ISE when running with wine, last tim I
    >tried. Most problems of Quartus where caused by the License Setup.


    The newest version of Quartus requires XP or NT. If you are using wine,
    you need to make sure it identifies its self as one of those and not as
    Win98 or ME etc.

    Last time I checked, you can still get Quartus 2.2? ( or was is 2.0 patch
    2) which runs under Win98.

    The fitters that come with 2.0 and 4.0 are quite different. The one with
    4.0 didn't fit a project that the one with 2.0 could. It seems that the
    optimize for speed in 4.0 uses more extra area in the name of gaining
    speed than the 2.0 version.

    --
    --
    forging knowledge
    Ken Smith, Aug 2, 2004
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Debashish
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,813
    Mike Treseler
    Aug 8, 2003
  2. tom
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,097
    Mike Treseler
    Apr 26, 2005
  3. afd
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    8,325
    Colin Paul Gloster
    Mar 23, 2007
  4. george
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,120
    george
    Aug 29, 2008
  5. mohammed_a_o
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    275
    mohammed_a_o
    Nov 30, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page