Free Web Hosting - Without Ads.......... ?

email321account2009

Dear all,

Can you please recommend me on a GOOD Web Hosting, which is Free and
have No ads ?

I tried several so far and I was very disappointed, all I need is to
upload a simple HTML file with few lines of text, and a few MP3 files
the with size of 20 - 24Mb, I Don't want to use any FTP, I allways
have problems with that, I want to be able to load the files using a
simple File Manager from the site itself.

Are there good sites out there that will fit with this conditions?

Please let me know as soon as possible,

Thanks!
Mike.

richard

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:17:02 -0700 (PDT),
Dear all,

Can you please recommend me on a GOOD Web Hosting, which is Free and
have No ads ?

I tried several so far and I was very disappointed, all I need is to
upload a simple HTML file with few lines of text, and a few MP3 files
the with size of 20 - 24Mb, I Don't want to use any FTP, I allways
have problems with that, I want to be able to load the files using a
simple File Manager from the site itself.

Are there good sites out there that will fit with this conditions?

Please let me know as soon as possible,

Thanks!
Mike.

www.hostgator.com
$5 a month with your own domain.

Check with your ISP, might have free space with them.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed)
writing in @l16g2000pra.googlegroups.com:
Dear all,

Can you please recommend me on a GOOD Web Hosting, which is Free and
have No ads ?

I tried several so far and I was very disappointed, all I need is to
upload a simple HTML file with few lines of text, and a few MP3 files
the with size of 20 - 24Mb, I Don't want to use any FTP, I allways
have problems with that, I want to be able to load the files using a
simple File Manager from the site itself.

Are there good sites out there that will fit with this conditions?

Please let me know as soon as possible,

Thanks!
Mike.

http://000webhost.com seems to be pretty good, no ads and they have a
file manager (although FTP is a LOT easier, IMHO).

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (e-mail address removed)

http://000webhost.com seems to be pretty good, no ads and they have a
file manager (although FTP is a LOT easier, IMHO).

There was some posting about this company recently in one of these
groups. It seems they might simply cancel your account without warning,
for no apparent reason, so be warned to have complete backups at the
ready.

They also are an affiliate service, promoting "earn $5 for everyone you
sign up" (using your affiliate number), which has promoted lots of spam
to Usenet.

email321account2009

Not them, Thanks!

I have tried them last week and I was VERY VERY disappointed from
them, they have many problems, and altough that in their FAQ they
write that they have NO Limit on the size of each file, when I'm
trying to use their file manager to upload the files they say that it
Can't load files in size over 5Mb...... (so why do you write in your
FAQ that there is no size limit ??) , and they have more problems....
i didn't like them AT ALL....

Any other suggestions for Free Web Hosting without ads?

Please let me know,
Thanks!

Mike.

Ari Heino

(e-mail address removed) kirjoitti seuraavasti:
Any other suggestions for Free Web Hosting without ads?

Google sites?! You can't make your pages from scratch, though.

Raymond Schmit

There was some posting about this company recently in one of these
groups. It seems they might simply cancel your account without warning,
for no apparent reason, so be warned to have complete backups at the
ready.

It's always a good idea to have a backup.
They did not cancel your account, they just disable temporary your
site, because there is not enough visits. when they disabled your
site, you reveive a mail with a link to re-enable your site.
They also are an affiliate service, promoting "earn $5 for everyone you
sign up" (using your affiliate number), which has promoted lots of spam
to Usenet.

You are not obliged to use their "affiliate service" ....

Raymond Schmit

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:18:44 -0700 (PDT),

Have you got a look at http://www.free-webhosts.com/webhosting-01.php
?

Have you considered to use FileZilla for an ftp program ? ( very nice
to use.)

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Raymond said:
It's always a good idea to have a backup. They did not cancel your
account, they just disable temporary your site, because there is not
enough visits. when they disabled your site, you reveive a mail with
a link to re-enable your site.

What? They disable [not mine] sites because of not enough visits? That's
preposterous! That would be a Number One Reason *not* to use them.
You are not obliged to use their "affiliate service" ....

Of course not, but it seems many of their flock *do* use it, in an
attempt to make money. Spamming Usenet with an affiliate link is against
their TOS.

dorayme

"Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
There was some posting about this company recently in one of these
groups. It seems they might simply cancel your account without warning,
for no apparent reason, so be warned to have complete backups at the
ready.

This company has created a little game. Someone promotes it or mentions
it and B warns about it. I then come on to say various things, some in
support of B, previously not quite, and now add a new tidbit.

My subscription still shows up

e.g. <http://dorayme.890m.com/alt/bodyFloat.html>

but I have no FTP access any more, presumably because I lost interest in
it when they started to put javascript onto my pages. Have not touched
it for months if not a year or more?

Tried contacting them in a half hearted way and then forgot about it.
They have some policy about being *a bit* active (which, in my opinion,
discriminates against website making slopes).

Perhaps I have missed some email from them? They seemed so good for
months. The javascript did not happen for quite a while! Perhaps they do
this to sites by those who never promote their services? Perhaps they
never liked some of the things I tried, like floating body left?

Johannes Hafner

Adrienne said:
http://000webhost.com seems to be pretty good, no ads and they have a
file manager (although FTP is a LOT easier, IMHO).

Pretty good? I read an article about some serious security issues on
their server some time ago. Unfortunately it's in german, so posting a
link here does not make much sense (and I did not find the article
again, so even if somebody would be interessted there is no way, sorry).
To sumarize the article: it was possbile to acces all other users
directories via PHP without eny problems. The author submitted a help
ticket but never got an answer...

I once had an account there, too. I got really shocked by their PHP
configuration: ini_set() is allowed, to increase memory_limit or runtime
works without problem (or worked, never tested it again). DOCUMENT_ROOT
was set to anything but the value it *should* be. And so on.

Johannes

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
Perhaps I have missed some email from them? They seemed so good for
months. The javascript did not happen for quite a while! Perhaps they do
this to sites by those who never promote their services? Perhaps they
never liked some of the things I tried, like floating body left?

There is a way to remove the javascript. That javascript is Google
Analytics and is used to determine if your account is active or not. You
can disable it. Here's the url:
[http://members.000webhost.com/analytics.php]

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Johannes Hafner
Pretty good? I read an article about some serious security issues on
their server some time ago. Unfortunately it's in german, so posting a
link here does not make much sense (and I did not find the article
again, so even if somebody would be interessted there is no way, sorry).
To sumarize the article: it was possbile to acces all other users
directories via PHP without eny problems. The author submitted a help
ticket but never got an answer...

I once had an account there, too. I got really shocked by their PHP
configuration: ini_set() is allowed, to increase memory_limit or runtime
works without problem (or worked, never tested it again). DOCUMENT_ROOT
was set to anything but the value it *should* be. And so on.

I think it's fine for a hobby site, or to put some a page up somewhere
(like when we ask for a URL and the poster has some lame excuse about not
being able to give one). I would never use it for anything important.

dorayme

Adrienne Boswell said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
Perhaps I have missed some email from them? They seemed so good for
months. The javascript did not happen for quite a while! Perhaps they do
this to sites by those who never promote their services? Perhaps they
never liked some of the things I tried, like floating body left?

There is a way to remove the javascript. That javascript is Google
Analytics and is used to determine if your account is active or not. You
can disable it. Here's the url:
[http://members.000webhost.com/analytics.php]

Well, I had another go and I still cannot FTP up their server no matter
I use new password they sent me. I have fired off a request.

Thanks, Adrienne, about the js, I have filled in a form to disable it.
You mean they happily let you stop them from monitoring you?

I had forgotten all about it until this thread.

Neredbojias

Raymond Schmit wrote:
It's always a good idea to have a backup. They did not cancel your
account, they just disable temporary your site, because there is not
enough visits. when they disabled your site, you reveive a mail with
a link to re-enable your site.

What? They disable [not mine] sites because of not enough visits?
That's preposterous! That would be a Number One Reason *not* to use
them.

Agreed. What a bunch of bs! I wouldn't use something with that
"contingency" if *they* paid *me*.
Of course not, but it seems many of their flock *do* use it, in an
attempt to make money. Spamming Usenet with an affiliate link is
against their TOS.

Sure, and the check's in the mail, too.

David Segall

Raymond said:
It's always a good idea to have a backup. They did not cancel your
account, they just disable temporary your site, because there is not
enough visits. when they disabled your site, you reveive a mail with
a link to re-enable your site.

What? They disable [not mine] sites because of not enough visits? That's
preposterous! That would be a Number One Reason *not* to use them.

It seems reasonable to me. They provide a free service in the hope
that you will upgrade to the paid service. If no one, not even the
webmaster, visits the site then I think they are making the right
decision by taking down the site.

I use them as the alternate site when ZoneEdit
<http://www.zoneedit.com/> determines that my main site is
unreachable. My main site is also my television set
<http://mythtv.org> so it is subject to periodic "upgrades" and other
hazards. I find 000webhost.com slower than using my computer via my
ISP but I don't think that is unreasonable at the price. You can
compare them by visiting the 000webhost site at
<http://profectus.asia> and my self-hosted site at
<http://profectus.com.au>. It is not a strictly fair comparison
because resolving the name differs between the sites.