Free webcasts on Ruby and Rails from CodeGear

Joe at CodeGear

Next Week, March 12-16, CodeGear will be hosting a "live virtual
developer conference". This is totally free, no cost or obligation --
and you don't have to travel to attend.

There are three talks that should be of particular interest to Ruby
and Rails developers, as well as sessions on Ajax, Java, Databases,
Delphi, .Net and many other topics.

Pre-register at http://www.TheCodeRage.com

Of particular interest:

A First Look at Ruby, by Jeremy McAnally
Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 2:00pm-3:15pm
Ruby's popularity is growing day by day, but so are the questions
surrounding it: What's so great about it? Why use Ruby? How do I use
Ruby? What can I use Ruby for? This session will attempt to answer
some of those, by not only teaching attendees how to use the Ruby
language, but also when and why.

Introduction to Ruby on Rails by Tim Breitkreutz
Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 6:15am-7:30am
An overview of the Ruby on Rails Web development framework, including
the Ruby language, Rails model-view-controller structure, and the
principles behind Rails. Find out why so many people find Rails
development so fun and fast!

Advancing Ruby: Hacking Java Language Tools in Ruby by Bob Evans
Tuesday, March 13, 2007 - 2:00pm-3:15pm
This session will assume that the user has at least a minimal
knowledge of Ruby and a medium Java knowledge, though the techniques
will be apparent regardless. This session explores building custom
Java bytecode analysis tools using Ruby and the Java Virtual Machine
Specification and how Ruby makes it a joy. We'll look at the various
features of Ruby that make it good for language hacking from the
looser syntax, to blocks and then to some meta-programming to reduce
tedium. We'll also see how easy it is to test your code in Ruby. After
this session, developers should have a good sense of some of the
unique strengths of Ruby and how some of it's advanced features can be
applied easily and practically.

===========

By the way, if you haven't taken time to fill out our Ruby and Ruby on
Rails survey we'd really like your input. The survey is here:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=187863298831

Joe at CodeGear

One more cool Rails talk to check out:

Maps on Rails New Session by Lori Olson

Friday, March 16, 2007 - 11:00am-12:15pm

This session will provide an overview of the Web-based mapping
alternatives (Google Maps, Virtual Earth, Yahoo Maps). We will also
demonstrate how to add such maps, using your own location- based data,
to your Ruby on Rails application.