Free Webhosting

Discussion in 'HTML' started by richard@kodotech.com, Mar 12, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hey Guys,

    I'm just offering free webhosting if you're interested.

    Cpanel, 1gb space and 10gb of transfer.

    www.kodowebhosting.com

    It can't hurt to sign up - It's free and we personally activate each
    account just to make sure we don't over kill the resources. At the
    moment sign up limit is at 20, then I will probably offer more.
     
    , Mar 12, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 06:18:22 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Hey Guys,
    >
    >I'm just offering free webhosting if you're interested.
    >
    >Cpanel, 1gb space and 10gb of transfer.
    >
    >www.kodowebhosting.com
    >
    >It can't hurt to sign up - It's free and we personally activate each
    >account just to make sure we don't over kill the resources. At the
    >moment sign up limit is at 20, then I will probably offer more.


    I did not see on your Site ... the "Free" offer ...
     
    Raymond Schmit, Mar 12, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. KodoTech Guest

    On the front page.

    It's in bold.

    Just click the order section and sign up.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 13, 2009
    #3
  4. SAZ Guest

    In article <8567b9ef-a6f4-4b9f-bffb-
    >, says...
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > I'm just offering free webhosting if you're interested.
    >
    > Cpanel, 1gb space and 10gb of transfer.
    >
    > www.pretendingtohost.com
    >
    > It can't hurt to sign up - It's free and we personally activate each
    > account just to make sure we don't over kill the resources. At the
    > moment sign up limit is at 20, then I will probably offer more.
    >


    Your 3.99 plan is dirt cheap already, so what business model supports
    "free for life"?

    I went to Server Status and saw "No Servers are currently being
    monitored", very reassuring to a paying customer.

    Your downloads page is empty. Why not delete the page?

    I searched your blank knowledgebase page for something simple "email
    setup", which returned no results, indicating complete lack of support
    to paying and non-paying customers.

    Announcements - "there are no announcements to display", which is hard
    to believe.

    So really, what do you do for a living?
     
    SAZ, Mar 13, 2009
    #4
  5. KodoTech Guest

    Hi,

    Complete lack of support? Have you signed up and tested an account?
    Knowledge base and the server status etc has just been setup.

    As I said, I am offering it to the community.

    This shared hosting was is a start up company after leaving the
    industry and leaving the server running for the current clients. I
    then decided to make use of the resources and let others sign up. If
    they like it and want to move on they can pay, if not, it will remain
    free.

    I concentrate on my co-lo and dedicated servers for corporate clients
    using CRM systems. I did this privately and now with more staff
    decided to use my infrastructure to offer a shared service; hence why
    I'm not taking any more dedicated servers. (I don't need to and can
    concentrate on my current clientele)

    Why does every thing have to be about making money?

    If I can offer some thing back to the open source community, and
    support it, why not? If my business can make it on word of mouth a
    lone, who are you to judge me and say I'm pretending.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 14, 2009
    #5
  6. On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:46:10 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    <> wrote:

    >On the front page.
    >
    >It's in bold.
    >
    >Just click the order section and sign up.


    You just added it :)

    Anyway i have tried to register on the free plan. The first step
    shows:
    "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name so please
    enter your domain name selection from below."

    i believe that registering a domain is not free.


    Another complain is that we don't have any complete inforamtion about
    the offer. Per example : Could we use effectively the php mail()
    command ?
     
    Raymond Schmit, Mar 14, 2009
    #6
  7. KodoTech Guest

    On Mar 15, 9:48 am, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    > On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:46:10 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On the front page.

    >
    > >It's in bold.

    >
    > >Just click the order section and sign up.

    >
    > You just added it :)
    >
    > Anyway i have tried to register on the free plan. The first step
    > shows:
    > "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name so please
    > enter your domain name selection from below."
    >
    > i believe that registering a domain is not free.
    >
    > Another complain is that we don't have any complete inforamtion about
    > the offer. Per example : Could we use effectively the php mail()
    > command ?


    No, domains aren't free, but if you sign up with one I don't profit
    from it any way. You can get a domain name from any where else and pay
    the same or more expensive price, that is your prerogative. All
    domains are paid to ICANN in the end, and every .com etc name requires
    a fee. The internet is regulated (ICANN), so obviously for the
    community to use a community based service, they charge for domains.
    Supporting them to support us so to speak.

    You can get free domains here:
    http://www.co.cc/ with a .co.cc extension: They let you point the
    servers to mine, this is what some clients are using. All setup
    details are provided in the emails and when you login to the system
    after signing up. It's a self-automated system i.e you can find most
    answer to your questions by playing around with it.

    It's a Linux (CentOS) based server supporting PHP/MySQL and CPanel as
    the control panel (if you've used it before, otherwise it is very
    convenient and has videos to show how to use every function). So yes,
    PHP Mail is supported, as long as it's not used for spam etc. (I'm
    assuming you want to run a simple script to send mail to your email
    via the website, or for forums etc). If you wanted to mass mail items
    (spam), then obviously a free solution would not suit your needs and I
    don't support that kind of usage either.

    http://kodowebhosting.com/shared.html - this page has the general
    features with the free account: only different is 1gb of space and
    10gb of transfer.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 15, 2009
    #7
  8. On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:05:39 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    <> wrote:

    >On Mar 15, 9:48 am, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:46:10 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >On the front page.

    >>
    >> >It's in bold.

    >>
    >> >Just click the order section and sign up.

    >>
    >> You just added it :)
    >>
    >> Anyway i have tried to register on the free plan. The first step
    >> shows:
    >> "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name so please
    >> enter your domain name selection from below."
    >>
    >> i believe that registering a domain is not free.
    >>

    >
    >No, domains aren't free, but if you sign up with one I don't profit
    >from it any way.


    Just to say that other "Free Webhosting" did not require a domain
    name.
     
    Raymond Schmit, Mar 15, 2009
    #8
  9. SAZ Guest

    In article <7514582e-4eab-48ad-af27-
    >, says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Complete lack of support? Have you signed up and tested an account?
    > Knowledge base and the server status etc has just been setup.


    Then why advertise something that is not truly "ready to go"? It wasn't
    there last week when you posted.

    >
    > As I said, I am offering it to the community.
    >
    > This shared hosting was is a start up company after leaving the
    > industry and leaving the server running for the current clients. I
    > then decided to make use of the resources and let others sign up. If
    > they like it and want to move on they can pay, if not, it will remain
    > free.


    Still not a valid business plan. What if I was a spammer and signed up
    for your free account? I could destroy your reputation and have you
    blacklisted in a matter of minutes.

    >
    > I concentrate on my co-lo and dedicated servers for corporate clients
    > using CRM systems. I did this privately and now with more staff
    > decided to use my infrastructure to offer a shared service; hence why
    > I'm not taking any more dedicated servers. (I don't need to and can
    > concentrate on my current clientele)
    >
    > Why does every thing have to be about making money?


    You can't offer "free" without making money in some other fashion.

    >
    > If I can offer some thing back to the open source community, and
    > support it, why not? If my business can make it on word of mouth a
    > lone, who are you to judge me and say I'm pretending.
    >


    Based on what I saw last Friday along with the lack of support, etc, it
    was a very valid judgement. I can see you changed a few things since
    then.
     
    SAZ, Mar 16, 2009
    #9
  10. On 15 Mar 2009, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:05:39 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Mar 15, 9:48 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    >>wrote:
    >>> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:46:10 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    >>>
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>> >On the front page.
    >>>
    >>> >It's in bold.
    >>>
    >>> >Just click the order section and sign up.
    >>>
    >>> You just added it :)
    >>>
    >>> Anyway i have tried to register on the free plan. The first step
    >>> shows:
    >>> "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name so
    >>> please enter your domain name selection from below."
    >>>
    >>> i believe that registering a domain is not free.
    >>>

    >>
    >>No, domains aren't free, but if you sign up with one I don't profit
    >>from it any way.

    >
    > Just to say that other "Free Webhosting" did not require a domain
    > name.


    It needn't there, either. A domain is just a pointer and it would be
    cinchy to add a folder (or even a subdomain) for "free" clients.

    --
    Awful Dog Autry
     
    Awful Dog Autry, Mar 16, 2009
    #10
  11. KodoTech Guest

    >
    > You can't offer "free" without making money in some other fashion.


    It's clear on the website, you can either use the free plan, or you
    can pay for it and get more bandwidth/space. If I can attract people
    to the server via the free hosting, they can choose to sign up for a
    paid account.

    > Based on what I saw last Friday along with the lack of support, etc, it
    > was a very valid judgement. I can see you changed a few things since
    > then.


    Where was the lack of support as I explained; knowledge base and
    server status was just being updated and installed.

    I have updated it and am always continuing to do so in order to move
    forward. As I said, it is a free account and if you wish to sign up,
    that's your choice, if you don't, again, same. My post was not an
    advertisement, but a laid back offer to the community i.e other
    developers or some one wanting to post up a blog etc. I have taken
    your criticism and addressed these issues that appeal to a client like
    you.

    If you were to create a forum that generated traffic, obviously a paid
    solution would be needed as you'll most likely exceed the bandwidth.
    In which case, you can either upgrade the plan, go dedicated, or even
    if you wish another provider. You're in control. I wouldn't offer a
    misleading service to the public and don't intend to do so.

    If you're in a "too good to be true" etc etc, that's up to you. It was
    more of a personal decision to give some thing back as I'm already
    content with where I stand in the industry.

    Raymond: Webhosting and domain registration are different. As I said,
    domains are managed by ICANN and need a fee. You can easily get a
    domain under .co.cc etc etc, however a .com obviously costs money and
    some thing I cannot pass on for free. It is a fee of only $9.95 which
    I charge, and I don't profit from it. The domain (.com) points to my
    servers which provide the resources to keep your website online.

    As with the sign up, you are more than welcome to source another
    provider for domain registration any way. Either from a free provider
    with .co.cc or one of the popular paid ones namecheap.com
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #11
  12. KodoTech Guest

    On Mar 16, 10:52 am, Awful Dog Autry <> wrote:
    > On 15 Mar 2009, (Raymond Schmit) wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > > On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:05:39 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech
    > > <> wrote:

    >
    > >>On Mar 15, 9:48 am, (Raymond Schmit)
    > >>wrote:
    > >>> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 00:46:10 -0700 (PDT), KodoTech

    >
    > >>> <> wrote:
    > >>> >On the front page.

    >
    > >>> >It's in bold.

    >
    > >>> >Just click the order section and sign up.

    >
    > >>> You just added it :)

    >
    > >>> Anyway i have tried to register on the free plan. The first step
    > >>> shows:
    > >>> "The product/service you have chosen requires a domain name so
    > >>> please enter your domain name selection from below."

    >
    > >>> i believe that registering a domain is not free.

    >
    > >>No, domains aren't free, but if you sign up with one I don't profit
    > >>from it any way.

    >
    > > Just to say that other "Free Webhosting" did not require a domain
    > > name.

    >
    > It needn't there, either. A domain is just a pointer and it would be
    > cinchy to add a folder (or even a subdomain) for "free" clients.
    >
    > --
    > Awful Dog Autry


    If I get demand for it then I will, otherwise as I have said before
    there is .co.cc which people can use etc. If a client sent in an email/
    support ticket requesting this feature, I would look into it like
    every thing else.

    Sign ups are already given a folder to upload their files too i.e
    www.kodowebhosting.com/~loginname

    I thought it'd be a good idea to offer a product to people out there
    for free - I don't see what the issue is.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #12
  13. KodoTech Guest

    Hi,

    I thought I'd add:
    You get your own sub domain now, I have set this up.
    yourname.kodowebhosting.com - no ads either

    I have taken the comments and criticism on board and have made the
    adjusted changes.

    Thank you for contributing.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #13
  14. Jani Guest

    On 12 Mrz., 14:18, wrote:
    > Hey Guys,
    >
    > I'm just offering free webhosting if you're interested.
    >
    > Cpanel, 1gb space and 10gb of transfer.
    >
    > www.kodowebhosting.com
    >
    > It can't hurt to sign up - It's free and we personally activate each
    > account just to make sure we don't over kill the resources. At the
    > moment sign up limit is at 20, then I will probably offer more.



    Hey...

    Now
    I got my
    own server again.

    But good you post that thing.

    Anybody who wants to join my server can contact me aswell.
    I use Debian at the moment and have one domain now www.lovedieu.eu
    *ggg*
    But we could do more virtual hosts on Apache - only the problem with
    that is - AFAIK - that then SSL is difficult to cope with - or?

    You can send me aswell all that things - or post it here - what I
    could do aswell (chatserver, newsserver, mailserver, etc. and links,
    links, links if nobody gets anoyed of SPAM here.

    At the moment - if you have money - you can give me a little - if not,
    then leave it. Only you have to buy your domain where you want and
    then it should be possible to link it to my server. Before we do that
    - I can ask - to make sure it will work.

    Only I can not promise 100% 24/7 that it is always running because I
    just started again and sometimes I have to restart maybe. Now 5 PCs
    hang on my router.

    If you have important security issues (firewall, linux-antivirus
    software, etc.) which will be necessary for me pls let me know
    aswell!!!

    You can have more space on the disk at the moment aswell, only my
    speed for streaming etc. might be not to high. Lets check:
    one speedchecker gives me:

    Download 894.00 kbps (111.75 KBps)
    Upload 363.44 kbps (45.43 KBps)

    btw: I stopped smoking and drinking 'cause I hate these things

    If you need more space then 10 or 20 GB then send me money and I will
    buy more disks
     
    Jani, Mar 16, 2009
    #14
  15. KodoTech Guest

    Okay, I realise it was pointless to try and give some thing to people
    out there.

    For your information: I donate my servers to charities and do pay the
    on going costs in support of them; no I don't have a guilty conscious
    or any thing like that to justify my position. People approached me
    and I could assist, so I did.

    Servers are spread over 3 datacenters with several gigabit connections
    for redundancy (I have my own network within them). All servers are
    managed (by myself and my team), firewalled etc.

    As I said: It was a laid back post. People asked for more information
    and a few features to be added which I did. I acknowledged the
    criticism and took action. I realise it was only constructive.

    I decided to allocate some of my resources to such a project. I
    support open source software and like to be able to share the
    benefits. (The servers are based on open source software), besides
    Cpanel etc obviously.

    I never asked for money from any of you; never asked any free clients
    to upgrade; never intended money.

    It will remain up there (I decided to offer 100 free slots) and will
    see how it goes. Hopefully someone will appreciate it, if not I have
    no problem. I'm content with where I stand and may as well allocate
    resources to the people that make up the industry (that being all of
    us).

    I checked this post daily to insure I could support you, I never
    persuaded to try and make a "sale" either. I always said it was
    optional and that you may as well since it being free (being the only
    implication). You don't submit any payment details etc etc at all.
    there is nothing misleading.

    I started this project under good intentions and will continue to do
    so. Thank you all for contributing.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #15
  16. KodoTech Guest

    Okay, I realise it was pointless to try and give some thing to people
    out there.

    For your information: I donate my servers to charities and do pay the
    on going costs in support of them; no I don't have a guilty conscious
    or any thing like that to justify my position. People approached me
    and I could assist, so I did.

    Servers are spread over 3 datacenters with several gigabit connections
    for redundancy (I have my own network within them). All servers are
    managed (by myself and my team), firewalled etc.

    As I said: It was a laid back post. People asked for more information
    and a few features to be added which I did. I acknowledged the
    criticism and took action. I realise it was only constructive.

    I decided to allocate some of my resources to such a project. I
    support open source software and like to be able to share the
    benefits. (The servers are based on open source software), besides
    Cpanel etc obviously.

    I never asked for money from any of you; never asked any free clients
    to upgrade; never intended money.

    It will remain up there (I decided to offer 100 free slots) and will
    see how it goes. Hopefully someone will appreciate it, if not I have
    no problem. I'm content with where I stand and may as well allocate
    resources to the people that make up the industry (that being all of
    us).

    I checked this post daily to insure I could support you, I never
    persuaded to try and make a "sale" either. I always said it was
    optional and that you may as well since it being free (being the only
    implication). You don't submit any payment details etc etc at all.
    there is nothing misleading.

    I started this project under good intentions and will continue to do
    so. Thank you all for contributing.
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #16
  17. Jani Guest

    On 16 Mrz., 15:34, KodoTech <> wrote:
    > Okay, I realise it was pointless to try and give some thing to people
    > out there.


    ??? Why??? Why it was pointless???
    You think I wrote nonsense???
    I don't understand your answer to mine.
    I appreciate all those explainations but I don't understand the start
    of this posting now?
    You think I want to make a joke?
    Sorry - I can not offer 3 gigabit connected redundant server with a
    big project in my back.
    Only what I say was, that I also can offer anybody a place on my
    server. I just added that and I don't want to start a new topic - I
    just thought that might be proper in your thread - that's all.
    Or did I forget something again?

    Anyway - I think it is not a bad thing to earn a little money.
    Only if you buy something it can be truly possible that a cheaper
    product is better than an expensive one.
     
    Jani, Mar 16, 2009
    #17
  18. KodoTech Guest

    On Mar 17, 12:44 am, Jani <> wrote:
    > On 16 Mrz., 15:34, KodoTech <> wrote:
    >
    > ??? Why??? Why it was pointless???
    > You think I wrote nonsense???
    > I don't understand your answer to mine.
    > I appreciate all those explainations but I don't understand the start
    > of this posting now?


    My apologies, I thought like it was a satirical post making fun of
    mine.

    I do think that maybe you were real and wanted to offer the same thing
    to others without starting a new thread - Just by going with the posts
    so it seems that no body was interested or didn't understand how the
    internet (or hosting/getting a machine onto it) worked properly yet,
    as I tried to explain and justify my answers.

    Good luck with it though. You've got to start some where. :)
     
    KodoTech, Mar 16, 2009
    #18
  19. dorayme Guest

    In article
    <>,
    Jani <> wrote:

    > btw: I stopped smoking and drinking 'cause I hate these things
    >
    > If you need more space then 10 or 20 GB then send me money and I will
    > buy more disks


    Send me money and I promise I will buy more drinks.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Mar 16, 2009
    #19
  20. Jani Guest

    On 16 Mrz., 19:57, dorayme <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  Jani <> wrote:
    > > btw: I stopped smoking and drinking 'cause I hate these things

    >
    > > If you need more space then 10 or 20 GB then send me money and I will
    > > buy more disks

    >
    > <font color="red">Send me money and I promise I will buy more drinks.</font>
    >
    > --
    > dorayme


    Sorry - until now I don't have any page for FAQs, prices and plans for
    the future.
    Was just an idea to forget about YouTube.
    Arrange your videos on your own webspace and do what you want.
    But I am not going to criticise Google anymore. I pass that on to
    Jukka "Yucca" Korpela.

    I gladly took now someone's advice:
    "Never drink rum&coke whilst reading usenet" - rf 2004
     
    Jani, Mar 16, 2009
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jason

    Free Webhosting from me

    Jason, Feb 20, 2005, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    347
    Jason
    Feb 20, 2005
  2. SOx

    Free Webhosting???

    SOx, Apr 1, 2004, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    481
    Keeper
    Apr 29, 2004
  3. fusuke
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    290
    fusuke
    Nov 28, 2007
  4. siva

    For Free Webhosting users

    siva, May 17, 2008, in forum: C Programming
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    301
  5. siva
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    342
Loading...

Share This Page