FreeRIDE vs Rails

Phlip

Rubies:

A perfectly factored program always has methods that are only 2 or 3
lines long, each in a file with only two or three methods.

This means, with a well-factored system like Rails, you have to
rapidly navigate between various points in various files, to get
anything done. Navigation becomes one of the biggest developmental
burdens.

So how close is FreeRIDE to these features?

- bookmark any location
- cycle between bookmarks _between_ files
- find-in-all-files
- find-in-all-open-files

Note that "find in all files" does not mean the way Textmate does it.
That application simply invokes a "grep" system, then dumps its
results into a popup window. This then requires a lot of mouse or
keyboard abuse to navigate from find to find. A true "find-in-files"
should work seamlessly from the existing find system.

Has anyone started to add these features, so I can see what they did?

Gregory Brown

Rubies:

A perfectly factored program always has methods that are only 2 or 3
lines long, each in a file with only two or three methods.

Says who? (especially the 2-3 methods per file thing)

Yes, method definitions should be refactored to be short so they can
fit in memory easily. But it irks me when people set this to n-lines.

I much prefer the metrics of 'one concept per method' and 'a small
amount of nesting' to just setting arbitrary number of lines and an
arbitrary number of methods.

James Britt

Phlip said:
Has anyone started to add these features, so I can see what they did?

I'm pretty sure FreeRIDE is open source, so taking a look should be
simple, and if you don't find the features you want, you might consider
adding them.

--
James Britt

"Simplicity of the language is not what matters, but
simplicity of use."

John Joyce

Oh. I guess I missed that :)

Rails is a perfect example of a system that takes code separation
too far. (IMO)
Actually, it only takes the separation as far as you ask it to.
You can really do amazingly simple things without using most of
what's in Rails, and yet still make something that is easier to
maintain, by having nice places to put repeated web page elements
(headers and footers), even if that's all you need, it works well.

The real beauty in (IMHO) is the way it takes CGI out of your hands
and lets you focus on making something useful.