Freesoftware for auto/intelligent code completing in Python

Ali Servet Dönmez

I don't want to be so mean here, but how hard it could be be writing a
freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto complete
Python code? (I mean something that really does the job, like
Microsoft's Visual Studio or Sun's NetBeans or something else, you
name it, but just don't give me PyDev please...)

This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Could someone please point me out something that I'm really missing
which is already present in the wild, otherwise I'd like discuss with
whoever is willing to help me to get this thing done. I made my mind
and I could volunteer to make this happen as thesis project for my
incoming graduation in the next year.

Regards you all,
Ali Servet Dönmez

Fuzzyman

I don't want to be so mean here, but how hard it could be be writing a
freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto complete
Python code? (I mean something that really does the job, like
Microsoft's Visual Studio or Sun's NetBeans or something else, you
name it, but just don't give me PyDev please...)

This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Could someone please point me out something that I'm really missing
which is already present in the wild, otherwise I'd like discuss with
whoever is willing to help me to get this thing done. I made my mind
and I could volunteer to make this happen as thesis project for my
incoming graduation in the next year.

Regards you all,
Ali Servet Dönmez

Vim, Emacs, Wing, Komodo, ... more?

Yeah, I guess you're missing something. :)

Michael Foord
http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.trypython.org/

lotrpy

I don't want to be so mean here, but how hard it could be be writing a
freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto complete
Python code? (I mean something that really does the job, like
Microsoft's Visual Studio or Sun's NetBeans or something else, you
name it, but just don't give me PyDev please...)

This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Could someone please point me out something that I'm really missing
which is already present in the wild, otherwise I'd like discuss with
whoever is willing to help me to get this thing done. I made my mind
and I could volunteer to make this happen as thesis project for my
incoming graduation in the next year.

Regards you all,
Ali Servet Dönmez

ulipad clearly deserves a look. good lucky :) http://code.google.com/p/ulipad/

Fuzzyman

I've checkout Wing IDE's license and it doesnt' seem to be a
freesoftware; am I wrong?

Wing 101 is free. The software is good enough though that it is worth
supporting its development by paying for it.

Michael Foord

Fuzzyman

I've checkout Wing IDE's license and it doesnt' seem to be a
freesoftware; am I wrong?

Wing 101 is free. The software is good enough though that it is worth
supporting its development by paying for it.

Michael Foord

Fuzzyman

I probabily am... Could you please kindly tell me what's the way to
get it work for Emacs?

Not personally I'm afraid. Although I did use Emacs today for the
first time (pairing with a colleague who inflicted it upon me). We did
have code completion working fine, but I have no idea how to set it up
(maybe the intarwebz can help?).

Michael Foord

Ali Servet Dönmez

Not personally I'm afraid. Although I did use Emacs today for the
first time (pairing with a colleague who inflicted it upon me). We did
have code completion working fine, but I have no idea how to set it up
(maybe the intarwebz can help?).

Michael Foord
--http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/http://www.trypython.org/

I tried code come completion options in Emacs for Python, but none of
them was satisfactory to me. I'd be glad to hear how did your friend
get it work though.

Yu-Xi Lim

Ali said:
I tried code come completion options in Emacs for Python, but none of
them was satisfactory to me. I'd be glad to hear how did your friend
get it work though.

Perhaps it would help to say what ways the completion in Emacs was not
satisfactory?

FWIW, it should be possible to get IPython-type completion in Emacs, but
I hadn't managed that yet :( Refactoring, too. Both involve Pymacs but
I've had limited success with that.

As for PyDev (I know you said "No" to this already), the main problem I
have with PyDev/Eclipse is the woefully underpowered editor (compared to
Emacs), and poor indentation logic. On the plus side, refactoring works
pretty well. So why not PyDev?

I'm just wondering, you insist on Free/Libre software solutions, and say
the ones you tried don't work for you. Why not "use the source" and fix
them so they work your way? ;) To quote you: "how hard it could be be
writing a freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto
complete Python code?"

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

-On [20080630 23:51] said:
This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Vim's omnicomplete (CTRL-X CTRL-O).

See :help omnifunc within vim.

Aspersieman

Jeroen said:
-On [20080630 23:51] said:
This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Vim's omnicomplete (CTRL-X CTRL-O).

See :help omnifunc within vim.
I find Vim with ctags, omnicomplete and calltip support the BEST I've
tried so far. And I've tried many.

Here's a tutorial on setting this up.
http://blog.sontek.net/2008/05/11/python-with-a-modular-ide-vim/

Regards

Nicol

--

The three things to remember about Llamas:
1) They are harmless

Ali Servet Dönmez

Perhaps it would help to say what ways the completion in Emacs was not
satisfactory?

I simply couldn't manage to get it work.
FWIW, it should be possible to get IPython-type completion in Emacs, but
I hadn't managed that yet :( Refactoring, too. Both involve Pymacs but
I've had limited success with that.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
As for PyDev (I know you said "No" to this already), the main problem I
have with PyDev/Eclipse is the woefully underpowered editor (compared to
Emacs), and poor indentation logic. On the plus side, refactoring works
pretty well. So why not PyDev?

I tried PyDev with Eclipse too and it's an aweful environment to me.
Auto-completion was a total failure too...
I'm just wondering, you insist on Free/Libre software solutions, and say
the ones you tried don't work for you. Why not "use the source" and fix
them so they work your way? ;) To quote you: "how hard it could be be
writing a freesoftware which would automatically/intelligently auto
complete Python code?"

Yes Yu-Xi Lim, you are right. Let me quote my self here: "I made my

-On [20080630 23:51] said:
This could be an extension, a plugin, an Emacs mode, a new editor or
even a brand new huge all-fancy IDE, I don't care, but what am I
missing here?

Vim's omnicomplete (CTRL-X CTRL-O).

See :help omnifunc within vim.

Jeroen, your advice might be *the solution* to the problem; but I'm
not really into using Vi(m). Thank your very much anyway!

Ali Servet Dönmez

I find Vim with ctags, omnicomplete and calltip support the BEST I've
tried so far. And I've tried many.

Here's a tutorial on setting this up.
   http://blog.sontek.net/2008/05/11/python-with-a-modular-ide-vim/

Regards

Nicol

--

The three things to remember about Llamas:
1) They are harmless
2) They are deadly
3) They are made of lava, and thus nice to cuddle.

Oh my, that thing seems to work! I didn't try it my self, but checked
out the URL you've mentioned. I think I've been unfair to Yu-Xi Lim
before... Thank you.