    Glich Guest

    Hi, where can I download freetype (>= 2.1.7)? I need it to use
    matplotlib. I have search a lot but still can not find it. Thanks!

    Glich, May 17, 2007

  2. On May 17, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Glich wrote:

    > Hi, where can I download freetype (>= 2.1.7)? I need it to use
    > matplotlib. I have search a lot but still can not find it. Thanks!

    Type 'freetype' in the google search form, and click the "I'm Feeling
    Lucky" button. If that doesn't work for some reason, go to
    freetype.org.

    Michael Bentley, May 17, 2007

  3. Glich

    Glich Guest

    I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
    I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
    python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

    Glich, May 17, 2007
  4. Glich

    Robert Kern Guest

    Glich wrote:
    > I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
    > I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
    > python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

    matplotlib has extension modules that wrap the C library. You will need to
    install libfreetype, then build matplotlib.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco

    Robert Kern, May 17, 2007
  5. On May 17, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Glich wrote:

    > I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
    > I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
    > python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

    The c stuff (freetype) is what you need (it gets installed as a
    library that can be used by python or any other software entity that
    needs its functionality). It may seem a little weird, but lots of
    the stuff you call from python is written in c. More than likely,
    your python interpreter is also written in c :)

    Michael Bentley, May 17, 2007
  6. Glich

    Steve Holden Guest

    Michael Bentley wrote:
    > On May 17, 2007, at 2:47 PM, Glich wrote:
    >
    >> I've been there. All the code is in C/C++, don't I need it in python?
    >> I will explore the software. I dismissed this because there was no
    >> python. I am knew to all of this. Thanks for your reply.

    > The c stuff (freetype) is what you need (it gets installed as a
    > library that can be used by python or any other software entity that
    > needs its functionality). It may seem a little weird, but lots of
    > the stuff you call from python is written in c. More than likely,
    > your python interpreter is also written in c :)

    Alternatively use the Python Imaging Library (PIL), which I believe
    includes freetype support.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Get on the web: Blog, lens and tag your way to fame!!

    Steve Holden, May 17, 2007
  7. Glich

    Steve Holden Guest

    Steve Holden, May 17, 2007
  8. Glich

    Robert Kern Guest

    Steve Holden wrote:

    > Alternatively use the Python Imaging Library (PIL), which I believe
    > includes freetype support.

    The OP seems to be trying to build matplotlib, which actually does require the
    FreeType library. The PIL, lovely though it is, is not a substitute.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco