    compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

    Thanks.

    max, Mar 21, 2007

  2. max

    max Guest

    anyone please??

    max, Mar 21, 2007

  3. On Mar 22, 12:23 am, "max" <> wrote:
    > anyone please??

    Please ..
    - refrain from top-posting, and
    - fix that sticky '?' key.
    - be more patient when dealing with usenet*.

    * Perhaps if you need answers within a 72
    hour time frame, a help-desk or consultant
    might be a better way to go.

    > On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <> wrote:

    > > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    > > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    > > freeze the desktop until the process is done.

    What do you mean by 'freeze the desktop'?

    As little as I understand your question, it
    seems you want the user to be 'locked out' of
    doing anything (including in other applications)
    while this program does its updates. But that
    is just silly.

    > How can i do that??

    Why would you want to do that?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 21, 2007
  4. max

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "max" <> wrote in message
    > anyone please??

    See
    http://moinmoin.riters.com/JINX/ind...sking_20Questions_20on_20Newsgroups#BePatient

    > On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <> wrote:
    >> hi all,
    >>
    >> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    >> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    >> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

    I suspect that this isn't possible using a pure Java solution. You
    might have better luck asking a Windows newsgroup.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Mar 21, 2007
  5. max

    Lew Guest

    Oliver Wong wrote:
    > "max" <> wrote in message
    >> anyone please??

    > See
    > http://moinmoin.riters.com/JINX/ind...sking_20Questions_20on_20Newsgroups#BePatient
    >

    >> On Mar 21, 1:00 pm, "max" <> wrote:
    >>> hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    >>> compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    >>> freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

    > I suspect that this isn't possible using a pure Java solution. You
    > might have better luck asking a Windows newsgroup.

    and be sure to let us know the product name if it is ever generally available.
    I want to be sure never to use it.

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 21, 2007
  6. max wrote:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    > freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??
    >
    > Thanks.

    A) Use another language like C, C++, (shudders) Visual Basic. To write
    this is in Java would require so much native code that it would be
    easier to use a native language.

    B) Poke around either msconfig or the Registry to find information.

    Joshua Cranmer, Mar 21, 2007
  7. max wrote on 21.03.2007 06:00:
    > hi all,
    >
    > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    > freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

    Simple answer: don't

    Users will be quite annoyed if you block their whole computer while you are
    synchronizing data. I would de-install this type of program a split second after
    it has locked me out of my computer

    Thomas Kellerer, Mar 21, 2007
  8. max

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Thomas Kellerer wrote:

    > > I plan to write a program to execute when the windows start. it's a
    > > compare & update program between server and client. I want it to
    > > freeze the desktop until the process is done. How can i do that??

    [...]
    > I would de-install this type of program a split
    > second after it has locked me out of my computer

    Tut, tut, tut; programmers really ought to think with greater precision than
    that. You would de-install the program a split second after it had /let you
    back into/ your computer.

    ;-)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 21, 2007
  9. max

    max Guest

    thanks for all the concern, i'm smart enough to avoid writing such
    annoying software. As what i mention on the first message, I want the
    program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.
    The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm writing it for my Cyber
    cafe, not for the general market.

    max, Mar 22, 2007
  10. On Mar 22, 3:21 pm, "max" <> wrote:
    > ..As what i mention on the first message, I want the
    > program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.

    A web started application, invoked at start-up,
    could not only provide a simple splash screen
    and messages to indicate progress, but also allow
    other applications to continue in their own
    threads, unhindered.

    > The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm
    > writing it for my Cyber cafe, ..

    What precisely do you mean by 'my Cyber cafe',
    are you referring to a shop with a row of
    computers, and staff employed by you, to switch
    them on in the morning (or reboot them as needed)?

    What does this 'locking of the desktop' offer to
    the process, how does it bring any advantage to
    the people who are booting the computers?
    (And if the answer is 'none', then 'why bother?')

    >..not for the general market.

    If my understanding of 'Cyber cafe' is correct,
    the end users who are paying for computer time
    do not need to (re)boot the PC's? Is that what
    you mean?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 22, 2007
  11. On 21 Mar 2007 21:21:16 -0700, max wrote:
    > thanks for all the concern, i'm smart enough to avoid writing such
    > annoying software. As what i mention on the first message, I want the
    > program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.
    > The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm writing it for my Cyber
    > cafe, not for the general market.

    In that case, have a look at http://openkiosk.sourceforge.net/ for one
    example. Search for "kiosk systems" for more.

    /gordon

    Gordon Beaton, Mar 22, 2007
  12. max

    Oliver Wong Guest

    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Mar 22, 3:21 pm, "max" <> wrote:
    > ..
    >> ..As what i mention on the first message, I want the
    >> program to run each time when the Windows start, not in the middle.

    > A web started application, invoked at start-up,
    > could not only provide a simple splash screen
    > and messages to indicate progress, but also allow
    > other applications to continue in their own
    > threads, unhindered.

    I think the OP does NOT want to allow other applications to continue
    in their own threads, unhindered.

    >> The user doesn't have a choice, because i'm
    >> writing it for my Cyber cafe, ..

    > What precisely do you mean by 'my Cyber cafe',
    > are you referring to a shop with a row of
    > computers, and staff employed by you, to switch
    > them on in the morning (or reboot them as needed)?
    >
    > What does this 'locking of the desktop' offer to
    > the process, how does it bring any advantage to
    > the people who are booting the computers?
    > (And if the answer is 'none', then 'why bother?')
    >
    >>..not for the general market.

    > If my understanding of 'Cyber cafe' is correct,
    > the end users who are paying for computer time
    > do not need to (re)boot the PC's? Is that what
    > you mean?

    A cybercafé is a place where you can rent computers for a few minutes
    or hours at a time. The "cafe" part comes into play because you can
    usually purchase beverages too.

    I'm guessing the OP wants to completely lock down the system, so that
    his main application (e.g. which meters how long the user has been using
    the computer, for example) cannot be killed by the user. When time runs
    up, the app takes over the system, "freezing" all other applications
    (different implementations will implement "freezing" differently --
    perhaps the apps are still running, but all keyboard/mouse input is
    captured and prevented from reaching the app), requesting that the user
    buys more time.

    - Oliver

    Oliver Wong, Mar 22, 2007
  13. max

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Oliver Wong wrote:

    > I'm guessing the OP wants to completely lock down the system, so that
    > his main application (e.g. which meters how long the user has been using
    > the computer, for example) cannot be killed by the user.

    That, or something like it, seems quite plausible. I don't think that Java is
    the right language at all for such a program, though (unless perhaps that
    feature was just one small feature of a much larger Java-ish "application").

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Mar 22, 2007
  14. max

    Lew Guest

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    > That, or something like it, seems quite plausible. I don't think that Java is
    > the right language at all for such a program, though (unless perhaps that
    > feature was just one small feature of a much larger Java-ish "application").

    I thought cyber cafes usually did their monitoring from a network or
    Citrix[-like] server which timed the period from login to logout of the remote
    nodes. Hotels use a Web gateway for Internet access, and you have to pay to
    play. None of the billing, access or monitoring software runs on the client
    machine, thus the patron has no conceivable access to the master processes.
    Such a remote monitor system could indeed be written in Java.

    I assess that having the monitor within the system that it monitors to be
    fraught with Godelian peril.

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 23, 2007