Fresh Python for Rotting Web Hosts

David McNab

Hi,

As a drastic solution to the endemic problem of poor python support
amongst budget (< $10 USD /month) web hosts, I've created a HOWTO
document called 'Fresh Python For Rotting Web Hosts', which is available at:

http://www.freenet.org.nz/python/fresh-python-for-rotting-web-hosts.html

It walks beginning-intermediate Python web app developers through the
steps of custom-building a self-contained small-footprint yet
full-featured latest-version Python environment (around 9-14MB),
installing this in one's home directory on budget web hosts, and using
it to drive a website written as python CGI files.

Intended audience is people who can't justify the $25/month+ which it
often costs to host a site on more python-friendly hosts.

This approach can serve as a stepping stone for sites starting small,
looking later to migrate to more decent hosts.

Please feel welcome to peer-review the document, and let me know of any
inaccuracies, omissions or unclear sections.