Friendly community petition - official IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Andrew Stuart, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. This is a show of interest/community petition to IBM, requesting that IBM
    develops a set of Ruby drivers for the DB2 database.

    First up - this is a friendly petition. IBM/Grant Hutchison has been very
    open to this idea and is interested in forming links to the Ruby community.
    It would a great thing if this friendly and open approach was maintained by
    the community in its relations to IBM.

    ***** quickstart - for those in a hurry
    If you would like to request that IBM develop a set of "official" DB2
    drivers for Ruby, send an email to with a subject line
    of "Friendly community petition - IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby".

    ***** in the Perl world

    In the Perl world, IBM developed and maintains the DB2 drivers for Perl. It
    seems logical that they should also develop a set of DB2 drivers for Ruby.

    ***** Michael Neumann's valued previous work in this field

    Whilst Michael Neumann has done an awesome job of developing a set of Ruby
    drivers for DB2 http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-db2/ , the project
    status says
    SQLAllocHandle, SQLFreeHandle,
    SQLConnect, SQLDisconnect,
    SQLPrepare, SQLNumResultCols,
    SQLDescribeCol,
    SQLExecDirect, SQLExecute,
    SQLRowCount, SQLFetch,
    SQLGetData,
    SQLEndTran, SQLGetDiagRec
    SQLDataSources SQLColAttributes SQLFetchScroll
    SQLTables

    It would be a great thing if IBM was to build a set of drivers that are
    expose the full functionality of DB2, and are subject to IBM's testing and
    quality assurance processes, and had the "IBM official DB2 drivers" stamped
    on them. IT managers and operations departments will get warm fuzzy
    feelings from code that uses such drivers.

    Building enterprise class applications using Ruby and Ruby on Rails requires
    drivers that ideally are developed by the database developer (IBM in this
    case).

    ***** the Ruby contact at IBM

    The Ruby community has been given permission to directly email email Grant H
    utchison Technical Manager, Developer Initiatives - Cloudscape, DB2,
    Informix. Here is Grant's email:

    Andrew,
    Please go ahead and use my name and email. I would be happy to hear more
    about the request for IBM to get more engaged with the Ruby community and I
    am the proper contact with IBM's DB2 team to field such requests. Please
    suggest a common subject header so it is easy for me to handle the
    potential volume. Based on the response I receive I will build a proposal
    to get more involved.
    Thanks,

    Grant Hutchison
    Technical Manager, Developer Initiatives - Cloudscape, DB2, Informix
    IBM DB2 Information Management Software

    ***** so what do I need to do to express my support for IBM developing DB/2
    drivers for Ruby?

    Simple - send an email to Grant Hutchison with a subject
    line of "Friendly community petition - IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby".

    If you've got more to say to Grant then put your text in the message body.

    thanks

    Andrew Stuart
    Andrew Stuart, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Hi Andrew,

    Just a thought: wouldn't it be better to have the "real" DB2 drivers
    based on something other than essential the ODBC API? The API you
    mention was part of Informix's "standardized" CLI interface which was
    supposed to replace the ESQL/C and Illustra C++ APIs. However, it
    doesn't really add much beyond the ODBC API (if I recall correctly--it's
    been about 6 years since I looked at it).

    Maybe as part of the acquisition, they've standardized on this as the
    "official, forward supported" way to access DB2, but I'd be surprised.
    In practical use, it's a bit clunky, but if that's what they have
    available now, then I guess that's what we get. :)

    ast

    On Thu, 2005-09-01 at 05:43, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> [...]
    > about the request for IBM to get more engaged with the Ruby community and I
    > am the proper contact with IBM's DB2 team to field such requests. Please
    > suggest a common subject header so it is easy for me to handle the
    > potential volume. Based on the response I receive I will build a proposal
    > to get more involved.
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Grant Hutchison
    > Technical Manager, Developer Initiatives - Cloudscape, DB2, Informix
    > IBM DB2 Information Management Software
    >

    > ***** so what do I need to do to express my support for IBM developing DB/2
    > drivers for Ruby?
    >
    > Simple - send an email to Grant Hutchison with a subject
    > line of "Friendly community petition - IBM DB2 drivers for Ruby".
    >
    > If you've got more to say to Grant then put your text in the message body.

    The information in this email is confidential and may be legally privileged. Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies thereof from your system.
    Andrew S. Townley, Sep 12, 2005