From 0 to "SUN CERTIFIED PROGRAMMER FOR THE JAVA 2" in 1 month?

belucky

Hi all,

i´m a C# Developer with good knowledge in C, Perl, JavaScript and XML.
My knowledge of Java is very fundamental. I played a weekend with it
an wrote a small swing application. So i´m a beginner in Java.

Is it possible to achieve enough knowledge about Java in a month to
pass the "SUN CERTIFIED PROGRAMMER FOR THE JAVA 2"-test?

Paul Lutus

belucky said:
Hi all,

i´m a C# Developer with good knowledge in C, Perl, JavaScript and XML.
My knowledge of Java is very fundamental. I played a weekend with it
an wrote a small swing application. So i´m a beginner in Java.

Is it possible to achieve enough knowledge about Java in a month to
pass the "SUN CERTIFIED PROGRAMMER FOR THE JAVA 2"-test?

Sure, but if someone can move from zero to passing the test and actually
understanding all the information to function as professional Java
programmer in one month, he has no need for the certification. People will
be calling him up and begging him to work for them.

So, tell us why you are curious about such a stunt.

VisionSet

belucky said:
Hi all,

i´m a C# Developer with good knowledge in C, Perl, JavaScript and XML.
My knowledge of Java is very fundamental. I played a weekend with it
an wrote a small swing application. So i´m a beginner in Java.

Is it possible to achieve enough knowledge about Java in a month to
pass the "SUN CERTIFIED PROGRAMMER FOR THE JAVA 2"-test?

Since the pass mark is only 52%, I'd say it was probable rather than
possible.
But how good a score you get and how important that is to you, only you can
say in conjunction with the many mock exams floating around the net.
Have a look on javaranch.com for details of these and everything else in the
Java cert world.

Bart Verdonck

Everything is possible!

but, don't underestimate the test. It ain't easy...

Last year my school got 40 free vouchers for the exam. As far as I know,
only two (including myself) pasted the test. The other guy even had to take
the test twice, the first time he missed one question to much. And this
after 2 year's of java programming.

So, good luck!

Greetings,
BV

Chris Smith

Bart said:
Everything is possible!

but, don't underestimate the test. It ain't easy...

You're right that the SCJP test isn't easy (or, in any case, wasn't last
time I took it, which was over three years ago). That said, it's not
difficult to pass, assuming that you know Java. That's because of the
ridiculously low passing score. If you wanted to make a decent score
(say, 80% or so), then the task would become more formidable.
Last year my school got 40 free vouchers for the exam. As far as I know,
only two (including myself) pasted the test.

That's really scary, but I'm afraid it might say more about school
educations in programming than about the test.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Bart Verdonck

Well, it isn't a solid programmer education program. And it's realy a good
school, it was only for the interested ones.

Chris Smith

Bart said:
Well, it isn't a solid programmer education program. And it's realy a good
school, it was only for the interested ones.

I suspect that the problem is more with CS education in general than
with your specific school. Universities turn out surprisingly few
students who are capable of learning and understanding technical details
in a reliable way.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Sudsy

Paul Lutus wrote:
Sure, but if someone can move from zero to passing the test and actually
understanding all the information to function as professional Java
programmer in one month, he has no need for the certification. People will
be calling him up and begging him to work for them.

Paul, you claim to be a dot-com millionaire so perhaps you've lost
touch with reality, what with not needing to work and all. I suggest
perusal of this article:
<http://news.com.com/Study+400,000+IT+jobs+lost+since+2001/2100-1022_3-5364627.html>
Truth of the matter is that you can be an exceptional developer and
still not rise above the noise level in this extremely tight employment
market.
In most organizations today, HR sets the bar and performs the "weeding-
out" based mostly on skill sets which may or may not be applicable to
an advertised position. If you don't include the "politically correct"
acronyms in your application and/or resume then you can't even expect
an acknowledgement of receipt of same.
They also discriminate based on age, knowing that someone fresh out of
college can be paid significantly less than a seasoned professional.
The fact that ageism is illegal doesn't seem to faze them when there's
money to be saved and bonuses to be earned...
Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Paul Lutus

Sudsy said:
Paul Lutus wrote:

Paul, you claim to be a dot-com millionaire so perhaps you've lost
touch with reality,

Actually I became a software millionaire before there was an Internet or
anything remotely dot.commish. As to my being out of touch with reality, I
think that is a valid criticism on the average day. :)
what with not needing to work and all. I suggest
perusal of this article:
Truth of the matter is that you can be an exceptional developer and
still not rise above the noise level in this extremely tight employment
market.

My point is that an sufficiently talented person doesn't think of himself as
property, and will start a company if none will hire him. That's exactly
what I did. BTW I still get calls from headhunters.

All that aside, I agree with your second point.
Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

That depends on how original you are willing to be.

Steve Sobol

Paul said:
Actually I became a software millionaire

Am I just a complete flaming idiot, or am I correct in remembering that you
were heavily involved in some big software project back in the days of the
Apple II? It's bugged me since the first time I saw you post here. I recognize
the name, and your name is not a common one.

Paul Lutus

Steve said:
Am I just a complete flaming idiot, or am I correct in remembering that
you were heavily involved in some big software project back in the days of
the Apple II? It's bugged me since the first time I saw you post here. I
recognize the name, and your name is not a common one.

Nice recall! I wrote Apple Writer, one of the first non-crippled word
processors, for the Apple II. It became an international best-seller. This
verges on ancient history.

Here's a bit of that history, recently posted on the Web for the first time:

http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/cottage_computer_programming.php

Yakov

Yes, this is possible. The other question is why would you need it? I
doubt that you'll be able to pass a Java job interview in a month
unless it's a very junior position.

This sertification will just prove that you know the syntax of the
language, but how about some real experience?

Regards,
Yakov