From a webservice tell if you are coming in on a secure port.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by UJ, Nov 2, 2006.

  1. UJ

    UJ Guest

    Is there a way to tell when a webservice is called whether it came in
    through HTTP or HTTPS ?

    TIA - Jeff.

    UJ, Nov 2, 2006

  2. UJ

    Q. John Chen Guest

    The Request object has an IsSecureConnection property.

    Q. John Chen, Nov 2, 2006

  3. UJ

    UJ Guest

    I tried that but Request doesn't seem to be defined. When I attempt to
    reference it, it says 'Type or namespace Request could not be found.'

    Is it not defined for web services?

    UJ, Nov 3, 2006
  4. UJ

    Q. John Chen Guest

    My mistake. Now I know what you meant - you want detect what channel is
    used in your web service method.

    I don't think you can do this. Web service is at a higher layer over
    the transport layer such as HTTP. It can be over other tranport layer
    (https for example). Maybe other, if any. It defeat it's purpose if you
    have to care what mechnism is used to tranfer the data.

    If your data is of critical information - such as credit card, etc. you
    make it available only through SSL. You can set it up through IIS. I
    just don't understand why want do this.

    Q. John Chen, Nov 3, 2006