From ASP/VB6 to ASP/VB .NET

Patrick Bates

We have a few web applications we are beginning to migrate over to .NET, a
process which began by rewritting several of our ActiveX controls as Windows
Form Controls which access Web Services. Our next stage is to begin
converting the VB6 DLLs to VB.NET, and finally to convert the ASP pages to
ASP.NET.

Our question is this: We've learned that we can execute the Control changes
immediately without upgrading the pages and DLLs, so is there some similar
way that we could use the upgraded assemblies for a time without first
upgrading the ASP files? And if so, would we still have the benefits of
using multiple copies of the same assembly on a single server?

Thanks,
Patrick Bates

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

you may want to look at the migration guide on msdn, i believe it covers
this. sorry don't have a link at this time.

--
________________________
Warm regards,

[Shameless Author plug]
Professional VSTO.NET - Wrox/Wiley
The O.W.C. Black Book with .NET
www.lulu.com/owc, Amazon
Blog: http://www.msmvps.com/blogs/alvin

Juan T. Llibre

Here's the link to the migration guide :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/reference/migration/aspmig/default.aspx

Migration from Visual Basic 6.0 is covered here :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/learning/learn/migrationfromvb6/

re:
I don't think so.

Once you convert the assemblies you'll only be able to use them in ASP.NET.
You cannot access managed code/assemblies from ASP.

re:
You can do that in ASP.NET as long as you're using the same assembly
in different applications ( in the /bin directory of each application ).

You don't need to use different copies any more, though.
If you place the assembly in the GAC, it will be available to *all* your applications.