From bad to worse

Frogleg

I need some HELP here, people. I've spent days trying to discover the
*names* of the things I need to ask questions about, and the terms to
use.

Here is my task: to set up something for a client to update a small
inventory of items and descriptions on a couple of web pages. Since
this is obviously a common operation for small business e-commerce, I
figured it wouldn't be too difficult or too obscure to find info.

So, I know I'm going to need to learn SQL and/or PHP or something
similar. But 'lesson 1' for SQL is how to install mySQL on my
computer. That's *not* what I need. Structured Query Language sounds
promising, but what good is SQL to manipulate a database if you don't
*have* a database? How does one go about *creating* a database?

What's the difference between SQL, PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, CGI, etc.,
etc.? No, no. I really don't want to know that. I just want to know
what tool to use let a client put new pictures of T-shirts on her web
pages. Is this 'Content management'? Or something else?

What would you do if you were given this task? Write a simple script?
Look for a canned script? Which language? I can use a hosting site
that says they support PHP and mySQL, but have no guidelines on how to
*use* these. Except to create a highly individual name for one's
database.

So far I've learned how to write code/script that presumably would
display "hello, world." I've discovered scripts for handling
'membership' online, or 'trees of the world' quizzes. I am baffled,
baffled, baffled.

I need guidance.

Long - CM web hosting

:
[snip]
:
: Here is my task: to set up something for a client to update a small
: inventory of items and descriptions on a couple of web pages. Since
: this is obviously a common operation for small business e-commerce, I
: figured it wouldn't be too difficult or too obscure to find info.
:
For a "small" inventory it may be doable without spending months
(if not more) to learn the required technologies you've mentioned.

What would really help is having the ability to easily make updates to
content (and inventory). A good CMS would help make this possible and
give you immediate results.

: So, I know I'm going to need to learn SQL and/or PHP or something
: similar. But 'lesson 1' for SQL is how to install mySQL on my
: computer. That's *not* what I need. Structured Query Language sounds
: promising, but what good is SQL to manipulate a database if you don't
: *have* a database? How does one go about *creating* a database?
:
: What's the difference between SQL, PHP, ASP, Cold Fusion, CGI, etc.,
: etc.? No, no. I really don't want to know that. I just want to know
: what tool to use let a client put new pictures of T-shirts on her web
: pages. Is this 'Content management'? Or something else?
:
Yes, but perhaps a hosted CMS solution like ours. You would have
access to our web-based control pannel to manage and update your
site content (including images, etc.). You can make use of available server-side
custom tags to implement specific features without learning or writing
any scripts.

: What would you do if you were given this task? Write a simple script?
: Look for a canned script? Which language? I can use a hosting site
: that says they support PHP and mySQL, but have no guidelines on how to
: *use* these. Except to create a highly individual name for one's
: database.
:
If the client requirement is as simple as you say, our hosted solution
can help you be productive right "out of the box".

: So far I've learned how to write code/script that presumably would
: display "hello, world." I've discovered scripts for handling
: 'membership' online, or 'trees of the world' quizzes. I am baffled,
: baffled, baffled.
:
: I need guidance.
:
Contact our office and we can assist as much as you need.