from c# to java

carlos_santana_111

I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
Win2k3 SP2 machine.

To program in C# I use the following:

1. IIS
2. .NET Framework
3. Visual Studio
4. SQL Server
5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4

What are Java counterparts?

Thank you.

Andrew Thompson

On Mar 17, 5:27 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
..program in Java on a Win2k3 SP2 machine. ....
1. IIS

e.g. Apache tomcat.
2. .NET Framework

What is that? The equivalent of the Java
Plug-In, that runs Java programs?
3. Visual Studio

No direct equivalent, Eclipse or Netbeans
are the most used IDE's, but both of them
are free.
4. SQL Server

What, an RDB? Derby, Java DB, GIYF..
5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4

Usually the same place as the software.

You will end up spending a lot less to
set up a Java based environment, but it
will not have the 'slick' feel of the
tools developed by MS for their own OS.

Andrew T.

Alan Krueger

I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
Win2k3 SP2 machine.

To program in C# I use the following:

1. IIS
2. .NET Framework
3. Visual Studio
4. SQL Server
5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4

What are Java counterparts?

1. Tomcat if you want to run servlets, JBoss if you want to also run EJBs.

2. J2SE comes with a fairly extensive library comparable to the .NET
Framework.

3. Eclipse, Netbeans, ...

4. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, ...

5. For documentation that doesn't come with the above, I'd suggest
java.sun.com and Google.

Joshua Cranmer

Andrew said:
What is that? The equivalent of the Java
Plug-In, that runs Java programs?
The .NET Framework is the Microsoft's version of interpreted bytecode,
so it's the MS-specific challenge to Java. The closest equivalent in
Java would be the JRE, generally installed by default on most computers.
(The JDK, which must be downloaded, might also fall into this category
as well).

Lew

Alan said:
1. Tomcat if you want to run servlets, JBoss if you want to also run EJBs.

or IIS.
4. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, ...

PostgreSQL! Derby, DB2, Sybase, Red Brick, Access, ...
5. For documentation that doesn't come with the above, I'd suggest
java.sun.com and Google.

But so much documentation does come with all that.

-- Lew

printdude1968

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:27:50 -0700, carlos_santana_111 wrote:

For an easy kickstart, i would recommend using an EasyEclipse distribution
fromhttp://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/index.html- these
include most (if not all) tools you'll need to do Java development.

www.yoxos.com is good as well. There a number of pre-fab
configurations, plus you can add other plug-ins by topic. The site
takes care of making sure you have all the right pieces. My
experience has been that it detects what OS you are runnning and
allows you to go right to the correct area for that OS.

fy4.net

I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
Win2k3 SP2 machine.

To program in C# I use the following:

1. IIS
2. .NET Framework
3. Visual Studio
4. SQL Server
5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4

What are Java counterparts?

Thank you.

More see here!
http://www.flash50.com/index.php

Andrew Thompson

(Please refrain from full-quoting)

More see here!

See what? That URL (trimmed) points to a
bunch of stuff focused on .NET, with no
mention of the Java (apache, eclipse,
netbeans..*) equivalents.

* Of course, that was searching the 'titles'
of that cute little blog, since I was 'not
authorised' to search the text/body, and
was not about to 'sign up' to take it
further.

Is this reply purely about spamming your
..NET blog?

Andrew T.