    What are Java counterparts?

    Thank you.

    , Mar 17, 2007

  2. On Mar 17, 5:27 pm, wrote:
    > ..program in Java on a Win2k3 SP2 machine.

    > 1. IIS

    e.g. Apache tomcat.

    > 2. .NET Framework

    What is that? The equivalent of the Java
    Plug-In, that runs Java programs?

    > 3. Visual Studio

    No direct equivalent, Eclipse or Netbeans
    are the most used IDE's, but both of them
    are free.

    > 4. SQL Server

    What, an RDB? Derby, Java DB, GIYF..

    > 5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4

    Usually the same place as the software.

    You will end up spending a lot less to
    set up a Java based environment, but it
    will not have the 'slick' feel of the
    tools developed by MS for their own OS.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 17, 2007

  3. Alan Krueger Guest

    wrote:
    > I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
    > Win2k3 SP2 machine.
    >
    > To program in C# I use the following:
    >
    > 1. IIS
    > 2. .NET Framework
    > 3. Visual Studio
    > 4. SQL Server
    > 5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4
    >
    > What are Java counterparts?

    1. Tomcat if you want to run servlets, JBoss if you want to also run EJBs.

    2. J2SE comes with a fairly extensive library comparable to the .NET
    Framework.

    3. Eclipse, Netbeans, ...

    4. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, ...

    5. For documentation that doesn't come with the above, I'd suggest
    java.sun.com and Google.

    Alan Krueger, Mar 17, 2007
  4. Andrew Thompson wrote:
    > On Mar 17, 5:27 pm, wrote:
    >> 2. .NET Framework

    > What is that? The equivalent of the Java
    > Plug-In, that runs Java programs?

    The .NET Framework is the Microsoft's version of interpreted bytecode,
    so it's the MS-specific challenge to Java. The closest equivalent in
    Java would be the JRE, generally installed by default on most computers.
    (The JDK, which must be downloaded, might also fall into this category
    as well).

    Joshua Cranmer, Mar 17, 2007
  5. Lew Guest

    Alan Krueger wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
    >> Win2k3 SP2 machine.
    >>
    >> To program in C# I use the following:
    >>
    >> 1. IIS
    >> 2. .NET Framework
    >> 3. Visual Studio
    >> 4. SQL Server
    >> 5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4
    >>
    >> What are Java counterparts?

    > 1. Tomcat if you want to run servlets, JBoss if you want to also run EJBs.

    or IIS.

    > 4. SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, ...

    PostgreSQL! Derby, DB2, Sybase, Red Brick, Access, ...

    > 5. For documentation that doesn't come with the above, I'd suggest
    > java.sun.com and Google.

    But so much documentation does come with all that.

    -- Lew

    Lew, Mar 17, 2007
  6. Kostas Michalopoulos, Mar 17, 2007

    On Mar 17, 2:16 pm, Kostas Michalopoulos <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:27:50 -0700, carlos_santana_111 wrote:
    >
    > For an easy kickstart, i would recommend using an EasyEclipse distribution
    > fromhttp://www.easyeclipse.org/site/distributions/index.html- these
    > include most (if not all) tools you'll need to do Java development.

    www.yoxos.com is good as well. There a number of pre-fab
    configurations, plus you can add other plug-ins by topic. The site
    takes care of making sure you have all the right pieces. My
    experience has been that it detects what OS you are runnning and
    allows you to go right to the correct area for that OS.

    , Mar 17, 2007

    On 3ÔÂ17ÈÕ, ÏÂÎç2ʱ27·Ö, wrote:
    > I seek advice on software I may need in order to program in Java on a
    > Win2k3 SP2 machine.
    >
    > To program in C# I use the following:
    >
    > 1. IIS
    > 2. .NET Framework
    > 3. Visual Studio
    > 4. SQL Server
    > 5. Downloadable and installable documentation on 1-4
    >
    > What are Java counterparts?
    >
    > Thank you.

    More see here!
    http://www.flash50.com/index.php

    , Mar 18, 2007
  9. On Mar 18, 7:22 pm, "" <> wrote:

    (Please refrain from full-quoting)

    > More see here!

    See what? That URL (trimmed) points to a
    bunch of stuff focused on .NET, with no
    mention of the Java (apache, eclipse,
    netbeans..*) equivalents.

    * Of course, that was searching the 'titles'
    of that cute little blog, since I was 'not
    authorised' to search the text/body, and
    was not about to 'sign up' to take it
    further.

    Is this reply purely about spamming your
    ..NET blog?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Mar 18, 2007