    Hi,

    I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

    Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??
    Asit Dhal, Sep 25, 2011

  2. Asit Dhal

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/25/2011 2:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
    > I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.
    >
    > Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

    Server side backend Java work would probably have business requirements
    very similar to what you are used to.

    But paradigms for solution will be somewhat different.

    If you are a good C++ programmer then you can become a good
    Java programmer.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 25, 2011

  3. Asit Dhal

    BGB Guest

    On 9/25/2011 11:48 AM, Asit Dhal wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.
    >
    > Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

    both languages are popular and have merit.

    my quick thoughts are, if possible, try to keep some skill in both
    (being able to write in one or the other, using whatever is already in
    use or better fitted to the job, is a reasonably valuable skill).

    for example, I am primarily a C developer (I also use some C++, but
    plain C is my main one), however I am also generally familiar with Java
    and C#, and so can use for them if the task calls for it (albeit,
    currently I am mostly working more with compiler/VM and 3D game-engine
    technology, which are still more C / C++ dominated areas).

    not intending to hark on it, but I also use a custom-designed language
    some, but it is intended more for high-level scripting, and is far from
    what could be called "industrial strength" (it has been used
    informally/small-scale in my projects since around 2004 or so, but was
    expanded more significantly over the past 2 years or so).

    I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
    but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
    (in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
    and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
    and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
    technology.

    I am also not as fond of Python and Lua (the major players in this
    area). I also investigated .NET and found another big mess of problem areas.

    so, I have done what I have done...

    however, Java should be a fairly solid platform for developing things
    like applications and similar, when developing/working-with a primarily
    Java code-base.

    also, it is fairly easy for a programmer to move between the languages
    (although, sadly, not along with all their code...).

    or such...
    BGB, Sep 25, 2011
  4. On 11-09-25 03:48 PM, Asit Dhal wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.
    >
    > Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

    The industry is going to need large numbers of Java programmers for a
    long time yet. Regardless of what previous background they have. It's
    the #1 language out there according to the TIOBE index. C is #2. And C++
    is #3, with quite a respectable rating.

    For general-purpose "business" programmers it's absolutely a good idea
    to know several languages, and it's definitely a good idea to know
    something about web applications. Since object orientation is so
    dominant "several languages" can easily mean several OOP languages like
    C++ and Java and C#.

    I am not going to estimate how long it might take to become adequate in
    Java, assuming reasonable proficiency in C++. It depends on too many
    factors. But since you won't become good with Java until you start
    learning it, there is no time like the present, and it will take as long
    as it takes.

    AHS
    Arved Sandstrom, Sep 26, 2011
  5. Asit Dhal

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 11:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Asit Dhal
    said :

    >I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application
    > development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.
    >
    >Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

    You might carve out a niche doing JNI for things you can't do in Java.
    Generally the market for programmers is soft. Check the classified
    ads in your part of the world.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com
    Roedy Green, Sep 26, 2011
  6. 26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:

    > I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
    > but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
    > (in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
    > and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
    > and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
    > technology.

    Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
    available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

    --

    Exercise caution in your daily affairs.
    Donkey Hottie, Sep 26, 2011
  7. Asit Dhal

    BGB Guest

    On 9/26/2011 12:17 AM, Donkey Hottie wrote:
    > 26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:
    >>
    >> I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
    >> but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
    >> (in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
    >> and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
    >> and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
    >> technology.

    > Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
    > available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

    my language (BGBScript) is largely initially based on JavaScript (I
    initially ran across JavaScript, and mostly threw together "something
    similar").

    at the time (around late 2003), I was not aware of there being any
    freely available/standalone JS engines, and I had just assumed write my
    own. continued maintenance/expansion has generally been "the path of
    least effort".

    my language also takes a lot from ActionScript and C# (and C), and
    mostly conforms with ECMA-262 (ECMAScript). main areas of
    difference/non-conformance are mostly related to scoping semantics,
    minor language semantics/features, extensions, and differences regarding
    the treatment of numeric types (a numeric tower exists).

    it is "hit or miss" as to whether or not numeric types are auto-promoted
    (manual promotion is preferable). implicit down-promotion will work but
    result in truncation (like in C or C++). eventually, this may be made a
    warning (the compiler may warn if implicit conversions will lose
    precision, but will not likely require explicit down-casts).

    technically, the language also (sort of) supports pointers and
    value-types and similar as well. the language supports "structs" which
    are essentially pass-by-value classes with C#-like semantics (I may
    later define a "proper" pass-by-value class type, which could
    essentially also be used for doing something analogous to the C++ RAII
    concept). I am currently leaning towards a name something like "byval
    class" or "value class".

    pointers are "not often used", and intended mostly to ease C
    interfacing, and may be allowed/disallowed based on "access rights".

    before, I had written a C compiler, and later implemented a customized
    JVM, mostly as:
    initially, I figured I could use C for scripting (vs an earlier form of
    BGBScript), which would give good performance and C plays nicely with C.
    however, compiler performance and bugs mostly killed this effort (making
    a C compiler both fast and reasonably solid is non-trivial).

    (for a scripting language, and loading-from-source, it matters somewhat
    that the compiler is fast, and standard C didn't really allow for this).

    I later implemented a customized JVM, but it (and Java in general) just
    didn't really "fit" with what I wanted to do with it in this case, which
    killed this effort (a standard JVM would have posed similar issues, the
    customized VM was mostly so that I could "fix" the problems with the
    main VM, but found that many were architectural and there often was no
    real "fix"). also, my own implementation would have been "bastardized"
    with many extensions.

    I then tried to design a "new" language and VM at this point (the new
    language would have been more Java-like), but this effort went nowhere
    (mostly for sake of me starting to realize the effort investment required).

    so, eventually I resumed continued use/maintenance of my existing
    language and VM (and most of the imagined features for the new language
    and VM were later bolted/kludged onto the old language/VM instead).

    it currently supports both JavaScript/ActionScript style declaration
    syntax, as well as Java/C# style syntax, but JS/AS syntax is more in the
    direction I am leaning for the "proper" declaration syntax, but who knows.

    or such...
    BGB, Sep 27, 2011
  8. Asit Dhal

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 9/26/2011 3:17 AM, Donkey Hottie wrote:
    > 26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:
    >> I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
    >> but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
    >> (in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
    >> and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
    >> and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
    >> technology.

    > Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
    > available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

    Or Java code using BeanShell!

    (BeanShell has eval and source)

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Sep 28, 2011