from c++ to java

Asit Dhal

Hi,

I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

Arne Vajhøj

I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

Server side backend Java work would probably have business requirements
very similar to what you are used to.

But paradigms for solution will be somewhat different.

If you are a good C++ programmer then you can become a good
Java programmer.

Arne

BGB

Hi,

I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

both languages are popular and have merit.

my quick thoughts are, if possible, try to keep some skill in both
(being able to write in one or the other, using whatever is already in
use or better fitted to the job, is a reasonably valuable skill).

for example, I am primarily a C developer (I also use some C++, but
plain C is my main one), however I am also generally familiar with Java
and C#, and so can use for them if the task calls for it (albeit,
currently I am mostly working more with compiler/VM and 3D game-engine
technology, which are still more C / C++ dominated areas).

not intending to hark on it, but I also use a custom-designed language
some, but it is intended more for high-level scripting, and is far from
what could be called "industrial strength" (it has been used
informally/small-scale in my projects since around 2004 or so, but was
expanded more significantly over the past 2 years or so).

I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
(in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
technology.

I am also not as fond of Python and Lua (the major players in this
area). I also investigated .NET and found another big mess of problem areas.

so, I have done what I have done...

however, Java should be a fairly solid platform for developing things
like applications and similar, when developing/working-with a primarily
Java code-base.

also, it is fairly easy for a programmer to move between the languages
(although, sadly, not along with all their code...).

or such...

Arved Sandstrom

Hi,

I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

The industry is going to need large numbers of Java programmers for a
long time yet. Regardless of what previous background they have. It's
the #1 language out there according to the TIOBE index. C is #2. And C++
is #3, with quite a respectable rating.

For general-purpose "business" programmers it's absolutely a good idea
to know several languages, and it's definitely a good idea to know
something about web applications. Since object orientation is so
dominant "several languages" can easily mean several OOP languages like
C++ and Java and C#.

I am not going to estimate how long it might take to become adequate in
Java, assuming reasonable proficiency in C++. It depends on too many
factors. But since you won't become good with Java until you start
learning it, there is no time like the present, and it will take as long
as it takes.

AHS

Roedy Green

I am a c/c++ programmer. I have mostly worked in application
development (data processing) in c/c++( 2 years). I have no professional experience in web development.

Should I go for java ? Do the industry need c++ programmers to work in java ??

You might carve out a niche doing JNI for things you can't do in Java.
Generally the market for programmers is soft. Check the classified
ads in your part of the world.
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

Donkey Hottie

26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:
I had investigated the use of Java as a high-level scripting language,
but came to the opinion that it has some notable drawbacks in this area
(in particular, the lack of "load scripts from source-files" and "eval",
and the general level of pain needed to interface it with a primarily C
and C++ codebase). so, I eventually opted to continue using my own
technology.

Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

BGB

26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:

Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

my language (BGBScript) is largely initially based on JavaScript (I
initially ran across JavaScript, and mostly threw together "something
similar").

at the time (around late 2003), I was not aware of there being any
freely available/standalone JS engines, and I had just assumed write my
own. continued maintenance/expansion has generally been "the path of
least effort".

my language also takes a lot from ActionScript and C# (and C), and
mostly conforms with ECMA-262 (ECMAScript). main areas of
difference/non-conformance are mostly related to scoping semantics,
minor language semantics/features, extensions, and differences regarding
the treatment of numeric types (a numeric tower exists).

it is "hit or miss" as to whether or not numeric types are auto-promoted
(manual promotion is preferable). implicit down-promotion will work but
result in truncation (like in C or C++). eventually, this may be made a
warning (the compiler may warn if implicit conversions will lose
precision, but will not likely require explicit down-casts).

technically, the language also (sort of) supports pointers and
value-types and similar as well. the language supports "structs" which
are essentially pass-by-value classes with C#-like semantics (I may
later define a "proper" pass-by-value class type, which could
essentially also be used for doing something analogous to the C++ RAII
concept). I am currently leaning towards a name something like "byval
class" or "value class".

pointers are "not often used", and intended mostly to ease C
interfacing, and may be allowed/disallowed based on "access rights".

before, I had written a C compiler, and later implemented a customized
JVM, mostly as:
initially, I figured I could use C for scripting (vs an earlier form of
BGBScript), which would give good performance and C plays nicely with C.
however, compiler performance and bugs mostly killed this effort (making
a C compiler both fast and reasonably solid is non-trivial).

(for a scripting language, and loading-from-source, it matters somewhat
that the compiler is fast, and standard C didn't really allow for this).

I later implemented a customized JVM, but it (and Java in general) just
didn't really "fit" with what I wanted to do with it in this case, which
killed this effort (a standard JVM would have posed similar issues, the
customized VM was mostly so that I could "fix" the problems with the
main VM, but found that many were architectural and there often was no
real "fix"). also, my own implementation would have been "bastardized"
with many extensions.

I then tried to design a "new" language and VM at this point (the new
language would have been more Java-like), but this effort went nowhere
(mostly for sake of me starting to realize the effort investment required).

so, eventually I resumed continued use/maintenance of my existing
language and VM (and most of the imagined features for the new language
and VM were later bolted/kludged onto the old language/VM instead).

it currently supports both JavaScript/ActionScript style declaration
syntax, as well as Java/C# style syntax, but JS/AS syntax is more in the
direction I am leaning for the "proper" declaration syntax, but who knows.

or such...

Arne Vajhøj

26.9.2011 0:26, BGB kirjoitti:

Did you ever consider JavaScript? There should be several engines
available, and it loads of couse from source files, and has eval.

Or Java code using BeanShell!

(BeanShell has eval and source)

Arne