from java to C++ book

Mikko

Is there any good book on C++, that would assume reader knows Java, and
point out and consentrate on the differences?

(online tutorial or text would be ok too)

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

Mikko said:
Is there any good book on C++, that would assume reader knows Java,
and point out and consentrate on the differences?

I learned it (after Java) through Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++",
which is avaliable online.

(I then read "Effective C++" and learned I never want to write code in
it.)

Christian

Why Java to C++?
Usually people are interested in migration from C++ to Java.
I am a Java programmer and after experinece on Java I could tell is
somehow difficult to accomodate to C++.
The point is it is easier to programm in Java than C++.

Chris

Sudsy

Christian said:
Why Java to C++?
Usually people are interested in migration from C++ to Java.
I am a Java programmer and after experinece on Java I could tell is
somehow difficult to accomodate to C++.
The point is it is easier to programm in Java than C++.

Why Java to C++? Necessity. I had to pick it up over a weekend
in order to interface a C++ API to Java. Not too difficult but
it reinforced an opinion formulated earlier.
Many years ago, being an experienced C programmer, I decided to
look into C++. I got frustrated quickly as C++ was basically
another pre-processor in those days. It also didn't FORCE the
object-oriented paradigm on programmers.
So while it was interesting, I could see how people could
claim to be writing C++ when they were actually writing
procedural C. And it wasn't just my imagination. The Gartner
Group estimates that some 70% of so-called C++ is actually
procedural C.
With Java, you don't have the same options. Yes, you could
code everything as class static methods but that's more
inconvenient than using the language properly.
And that's why I think it makes more sense to go the C->
Java->C++ route than C->C++->Java. Fewer bad habits to drop.
YMMV