    Is there any good book on C++, that would assume reader knows Java, and
    point out and consentrate on the differences?

    (online tutorial or text would be ok too)
    Mikko, Aug 8, 2003

  2. Mikko <> writes:

    > Is there any good book on C++, that would assume reader knows Java,
    > and point out and consentrate on the differences?

    I learned it (after Java) through Bruce Eckel's "Thinking in C++",
    which is avaliable online.

    (I then read "Effective C++" and learned I never want to write code in
    it.)
    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Aug 8, 2003

  3. Mikko

    Christian Guest

    Why Java to C++?
    Usually people are interested in migration from C++ to Java.
    I am a Java programmer and after experinece on Java I could tell is
    somehow difficult to accomodate to C++.
    The point is it is easier to programm in Java than C++.

    Chris

    Christian, Aug 8, 2003
  4. Mikko

    Sudsy Guest

    Christian wrote:
    > Why Java to C++?
    > Usually people are interested in migration from C++ to Java.
    > I am a Java programmer and after experinece on Java I could tell is
    > somehow difficult to accomodate to C++.
    > The point is it is easier to programm in Java than C++.

    Why Java to C++? Necessity. I had to pick it up over a weekend
    in order to interface a C++ API to Java. Not too difficult but
    it reinforced an opinion formulated earlier.
    Many years ago, being an experienced C programmer, I decided to
    look into C++. I got frustrated quickly as C++ was basically
    another pre-processor in those days. It also didn't FORCE the
    object-oriented paradigm on programmers.
    So while it was interesting, I could see how people could
    claim to be writing C++ when they were actually writing
    procedural C. And it wasn't just my imagination. The Gartner
    Group estimates that some 70% of so-called C++ is actually
    procedural C.
    With Java, you don't have the same options. Yes, you could
    code everything as class static methods but that's more
    inconvenient than using the language properly.
    And that's why I think it makes more sense to go the C->
    Java->C++ route than C->C++->Java. Fewer bad habits to drop.
    YMMV
    Sudsy, Aug 8, 2003