From the ground up

Frogleg

I need to do a site for an artist/craftsperson with a changing
inventory. That is, each item (in an inventory of maybe 100 items) is
one-of-a-kind, and when one is sold, it needs to be removed and a new
item listed. This doesn't need to be automatic, but should be set up
so it's simple enough for the client to update as frequently as
necessary.

Where do I start?

Hywel

I need to do a site for an artist/craftsperson with a changing
inventory. That is, each item (in an inventory of maybe 100 items) is
one-of-a-kind, and when one is sold, it needs to be removed and a new
item listed. This doesn't need to be automatic, but should be set up
so it's simple enough for the client to update as frequently as
necessary.

Where do I start?

http://www.php.net/
http://www.mysql.com/

Mitja

Frogleg said:
I need to do a site for an artist/craftsperson with a changing
inventory. That is, each item (in an inventory of maybe 100 items) is
one-of-a-kind, and when one is sold, it needs to be removed and a new
item listed. This doesn't need to be automatic, but should be set up
so it's simple enough for the client to update as frequently as
necessary.

Where do I start?

Hope you know some scripting.
I once had to do a similar thing. Since it's a small-scale project and only
one person will be maintaining the contents of the site, make up a (really)
simple format for a text file database and explain it to the person
involved. Additionally, code a simple syntax checker for the database file.
At least this is how I did it, and it ran relatively smoothly.
Alternatively, use some pre-made content management software and teach the
client how to use it. I've no experience with that.

Frogleg

Hope you know some scripting.

Nope. I am/was a programmer. I can grope my way around most things,
but need a handle to get started.
I once had to do a similar thing. Since it's a small-scale project and only
one person will be maintaining the contents of the site, make up a (really)
simple format for a text file database and explain it to the person
involved. Additionally, code a simple syntax checker for the database file.
At least this is how I did it, and it ran relatively smoothly.

This sounds like exactly what I need to do. Any chance of looking at
your implementation for a model? If you could write to frogleg at
hotmail dot com, I'd appreciate it. My newsreader address is obviously
garbage.