from vb6 to Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by MarcoL, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. MarcoL

    MarcoL Guest

    Hello,
    I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
    language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET), wich is
    opensource and cross-platform, in order to develop cross-platform
    business applications
    I think Python is the most suitable language for the scope.
    My question are:

    - Which version of python is more suitable for creating cross-platform
    GUI's? I've herard of PyGTK, wxPython, PyQT, tk, Anygui..

    - What is the best IDE/RAD for Python (written in Python and OpenSource)

    - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) like Crystal
    Report for creating business reports?

    - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) for makeing
    tables, view, querys, relation of a database and generate the SQL script?

    - Is it possible, from Python, to work with sqlite? And with MsAccess?

    Thanks for your patience and your help.

    Marco.
    MarcoL, Dec 10, 2004

  2. MarcoL wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
    > language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET), wich is
    > opensource and cross-platform, in order to develop cross-platform
    > business applications
    > I think Python is the most suitable language for the scope.
    > My question are:
    >
    > - Which version of python is more suitable for creating cross-platform
    > GUI's? I've herard of PyGTK, wxPython, PyQT, tk, Anygui..

    It's a matter of taste. I like wxPython best. It would probably be
    different if PyQT was also open-source on win32.

    > - What is the best IDE/RAD for Python (written in Python and OpenSource)

    You should check out ERIC/Qt. If you need to target Windows, then you
    can consider buying a win32 Qt/PyQt license.

    The best IDE I've seen so far is WingIDE (commercial).

    > - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) like Crystal
    > Report for creating business reports?

    Reportlab is the closest I know.

    > - Does exist a tool (written in Python and OpenSource) for makeing
    > tables, view, querys, relation of a database and generate the SQL script?

    Rekall is the closest.

    > - Is it possible, from Python, to work with sqlite? And with MsAccess?

    Yes.

    pysqlite (http://pysqlite.org/), and pyado, if by MsAccess you mean
    using the JET engine via ADO.

    HTH,

    -- Gerhard
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=, Dec 10, 2004

  3. MarcoL

    Guest

    Try PythonCard. It should provide the easiest learning curve given
    your VB background.
    , Dec 11, 2004
  4. Gerhard Häring wrote:
    > MarcoL wrote:
    >
    >> I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
    >> language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET), wich is
    >> opensource and cross-platform, in order to develop cross-platform
    >> business applications

    Good for you! And Python is a good choice. :)

    >> I think Python is the most suitable language for the scope.
    >> My question are:
    >>
    >> - Which version of python is more suitable for creating cross-platform
    >> GUI's? I've herard of PyGTK, wxPython, PyQT, tk, Anygui..

    > It's a matter of taste. I like wxPython best. It would probably be
    > different if PyQT was also open-source on win32.

    Note that these are not really 'versions of Python'. These are different
    Python bindings or libraries (that you import as modules and packages in
    the normal way) that offer GUI facilities.

    For cross-platform GUIs wxPython seems to be popular, though I've never
    used it myself.

    [snip snip]

    >> - Is it possible, from Python, to work with sqlite? And with MsAccess?

    > Yes.
    >
    > pysqlite (http://pysqlite.org/), and pyado, if by MsAccess you mean
    > using the JET engine via ADO.

    Python can basically work with virtually any database; there are
    bindings for many. You can also access MsAccess through ODBC, though
    it's been a few years since I did that.

    See the database topic guide:

    http://www.python.org/topics/database/

    And this is a list of database bindings:

    http://www.python.org/topics/database/modules.html

    Regards,

    Martijn
    Martijn Faassen, Dec 11, 2004

    Martijn Faassen, Dec 11, 2004
  6. MarcoL

    houbahop Guest

    Hi,
    I have used VB6 a lot too and Python appears to me as a good alternative to
    ..net too, but
    the thing that will do the difference is the GUI... I hope the ones for
    Python are beautifull enough as appearence is an important thing to me in
    softwares.
    D.

    xZoud.15126$...

    houbahop, Dec 12, 2004
  7. MarcoL wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
    > language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET...

    I'd like to add that by going with Python, you'll also be able to
    develop for .NET. Check this out: www.ironpython.com .
    Since the development of Ironpython is now being funded by Microsoft,
    you'll get the best of both worlds: An already excellent
    cross-platform, object oriented language and a fully compliant .NET
    language for Windows and Linux (through Mono and DotGnu).

    For now, I suggest using PythonCard for building GUI apps. It is *very*
    easy to learn and use, especially for someone coming from VB6.
    Luis M. Gonzalez, Dec 12, 2004
  8. Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
    > MarcoL wrote:
    >
    >>Hello,
    >> I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level
    >>language (instead of restarting from scratch with .NET...

    > I'd like to add that by going with Python, you'll also be able to
    > develop for .NET. Check this out: www.ironpython.com .
    > Since the development of Ironpython is now being funded by Microsoft,
    > you'll get the best of both worlds: An already excellent
    > cross-platform, object oriented language and a fully compliant .NET
    > language for Windows and Linux (through Mono and DotGnu).

    Unfortunately this is currently not near production use, and whether
    Microsoft is funding IronPython development is up in the air:

    One IronPython fan noted a disconcerting silence in IronPython development:

    http://usefulinc.com/edd/blog/contents/2004/12/09-jvm/read

    Of course it'll all resolve itself one way or another eventually, just
    wanted to correct the impression that IronPython is ready to go already.

    Regards,

    Martijn
    Martijn Faassen, Dec 12, 2004
  9. MarcoL

    MarcoL Guest

    MarcoL wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I am a VB6 programmer and I would like to learn a new high level

    > My question are:

    > - What is the best IDE/RAD for Python (written in Python and OpenSource)

    Can anybody tell me anything about the IDE Spe?

    Thanks

    Marco
    MarcoL, Dec 12, 2004
  10. MarcoL

    Nigel Rowe Guest

    Nigel Rowe, Dec 12, 2004
  11. Martijn Faassen wrote:
    > Unfortunately this is currently not near production use, and whether
    > Microsoft is funding IronPython development is up in the air:

    It's true that he Ironpython's mailing list is a little bit innactive,
    but this is just because there's only one person in charge of
    Ironpython at this moment (although Microsoft was looking to hire a new
    developer to help on this). However, the innactivity is due to the fact
    that Jim Hugunin, its developer, has begun working for MS just a couple
    of months ago, and as he says, there are tons of new CLR features to
    learn that are applicable to dynamic languages.

    You should also give credit to Jim: he's the man who developed Jython,
    which is a complete inplementation of Python written in Java.
    He also created Numeric and co-authored Aspect, another programming
    language.
    So I'm sure that Ironpython will be a reality soon, and a very good
    one...
    Luis M. Gonzalez, Dec 12, 2004
  12. Fredrik Lundh, Dec 13, 2004
  13. Luis M. Gonzalez wrote:
    > Martijn Faassen wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately this is currently not near production use, and whether
    >>Microsoft is funding IronPython development is up in the air:

    > It's true that he Ironpython's mailing list is a little bit innactive,
    > but this is just because there's only one person in charge of
    > Ironpython at this moment (although Microsoft was looking to hire a new
    > developer to help on this).

    A new developer is interesting news and makes it more likely the future
    funding status is assured.

    > However, the innactivity is due to the fact
    > that Jim Hugunin, its developer, has begun working for MS just a couple
    > of months ago, and as he says, there are tons of new CLR features to
    > learn that are applicable to dynamic languages.

    I realize that, and I'm sure that impacts things. That doesn't change
    the fact that IronPython as it stands now isn't done, and there isn't a
    clear idea of what will happen. Talk about "open source doesn't have a
    clear roadmap"; that seems to be true at least if Microsoft is doing the
    open source. ;)

    > You should also give credit to Jim: he's the man who developed Jython,
    > which is a complete inplementation of Python written in Java.
    > He also created Numeric and co-authored Aspect, another programming
    > language.

    I know who Jim is, and he deserves plenty of credit. I'm just passing
    along the concerns of a major IronPython fan, who doesn't know what's up
    himself and wants to fork the code. That's at the very least not a sign
    of good community management. :)

    > So I'm sure that Ironpython will be a reality soon, and a very good
    > one...

    I was pointing out that IronPython is *not* a reality right now, which
    is the impression that was being given to a newbie before. I wanted to
    counter an impression that might cause newbies to struggle with
    IronPython only to find out it's not ready yet. Whether IronPython will
    be mature soon is open for debate.

    Regards,

    Martijn
    Martijn Faassen, Dec 14, 2004
  14. MarcoL

    Guest

    There is a really good IDE for python - wxpython - wxwidgets called boa
    constructor. It is very 'Visual Basic like'.

    http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

    I highly recommend it. I works well whether you want to use the built
    in features to create applications - or 'do it yourself'. It even has
    built in debugging - oh - and it runs on Windows and Linux (probably
    even Mac).

    Enjoy!

    David Lawler
    (Signature removed for your protection)