    I could be nice if it also could show where in the code the current
    execution is. I am using Kate as my editor (i don't want to use one of
    the heavy weight editors like eclipse with build in debugging).

    desktop, May 12, 2007

  2. desktop

    xman Guest

    > Can anyone recommend a good frontend C++ debugger for linux?

    For free debugger, try ddd.

    xman, May 12, 2007

  3. On 2007-05-12 16:23, desktop wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good frontend C++ debugger for linux?
    >
    > I could be nice if it also could show where in the code the current
    > execution is. I am using Kate as my editor (i don't want to use one of
    > the heavy weight editors like eclipse with build in debugging).

    This is off-topic please ask platform specific questions in platform
    specific groups.

    As to your question, what's wrong with gdb? If you can't see where in
    the code the execution currently is you must have forgotten to add debug
    symbols when compiling, make sure that you have -g in the command line.

    The only frontend that I know of is ddd.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, May 12, 2007
  4. desktop

    Zeppe Guest

    Erik Wikström wrote:

    > As to your question, what's wrong with gdb? If you can't see where in
    > the code the execution currently is you must have forgotten to add debug
    > symbols when compiling, make sure that you have -g in the command line.

    unfortunately gdb is not as powerful as the microsoft equivalent one
    (that is able to correctly interpret some of the STL containers, such
    vectors, and let you navigate inside them), but in some cases it's good
    enough.

    > The only frontend that I know of is ddd.

    kdbg, quite simple, nice interface, maybe a little less powerful but
    usually it does its job in a good way.

    Regards,

    Zeppe

    Zeppe, May 12, 2007
  5. On 2007-05-12 18:17, Zeppe wrote:
    > Erik Wikström wrote:
    >
    >> As to your question, what's wrong with gdb? If you can't see where in
    >> the code the execution currently is you must have forgotten to add debug
    >> symbols when compiling, make sure that you have -g in the command line.

    > unfortunately gdb is not as powerful as the microsoft equivalent one
    > (that is able to correctly interpret some of the STL containers, such
    > vectors, and let you navigate inside them), but in some cases it's good
    > enough.

    OT: You can even make it interpret your own data-types, but there's some
    bugs that prevents it from working correctly with 2D matrices and such.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, May 12, 2007
  6. desktop

    Ian Collins Guest

    Zeppe wrote:
    > Erik Wikström wrote:
    >
    >> As to your question, what's wrong with gdb? If you can't see where in
    >> the code the execution currently is you must have forgotten to add
    >> debug symbols when compiling, make sure that you have -g in the
    >> command line.

    > unfortunately gdb is not as powerful as the microsoft equivalent one
    > (that is able to correctly interpret some of the STL containers, such
    > vectors, and let you navigate inside them), but in some cases it's good
    > enough.

    If you require a "powerful" debugger, there is something wrong with the
    way you are developing your code!

    --
    Ian Collins.

    Ian Collins, May 12, 2007
  7. desktop

    Zeppe Guest

    Ian Collins wrote:
    > Zeppe wrote:
    >> Erik Wikström wrote:
    >>
    >>> As to your question, what's wrong with gdb? If you can't see where in
    >>> the code the execution currently is you must have forgotten to add
    >>> debug symbols when compiling, make sure that you have -g in the
    >>> command line.

    >> unfortunately gdb is not as powerful as the microsoft equivalent one
    >> (that is able to correctly interpret some of the STL containers, such
    >> vectors, and let you navigate inside them), but in some cases it's good
    >> enough.
    >>

    > If you require a "powerful" debugger, there is something wrong with the
    > way you are developing your code!

    lol

    Zeppe

    Zeppe, May 12, 2007
  8. desktop

    Guest

    On May 12, 7:23 am, desktop <> wrote:
    > Can anyone recommend a good frontend C++ debugger for linux?

    Just had a briefing on a debugger for linux called zeroBUGS. The
    author was
    not statisfied with GDB so he wrote his own. Find it at http://zero-bugs.com

    , May 25, 2007
  9. desktop