Frontpage extensions folders

Robert Scheer

Hi.

Is there any article that talks about the purpose of each of the
Frontpage extensions folders (_vti_cnf, _vti_pvt, _vti_script, and
_vti_txt)? When I create a new ASP.NET application, these folders are
automatically created.

Thanks,

Robert Scheer

Robert Weatherford

Hi Robert,

I'm not aware of any articles per-se, but I know a fair amount about
FrontPage and ASP.NET. In short, these folders are used by the FrontPage
Server Extensions, which for now is required to copy your web project up to
your web server. In particular:

_vti_cnf is used to store metadata for each file in its parent directory, at
least in FrontPage. It's basically a text file that holds typed name/value
pairs. Take a look at one in notepad!

_vti_pvt is used to store things like the web site metadata (service.cnf)
and site navigation (structure.cnf) files. These things come from FrontPage,
but can be used by the FPSE to rebuild web pages on the server side. Believe
it or not, if you take an html page from FrontPage and slap it in an ASP.NET
project and use Copy Project to upload it to the web server, it'll strip out
the shared borders and other things, unless the proper files are present in
_borders and _vti_pvt.

_vti_script probably used to hold scripts (duh), but it doesn't seem to do
anything of late. Probably FPSE legacy.

_vti_txt holds the site's search index files used by the FrontPage search
component, as well as the hit counters.

If you need any more specific information, let me know.