FrontPage Extensions problems creating web servcies from VS.NET 20

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Brian Cuthie, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Brian Cuthie

    Brian Cuthie Guest

    I'm having the oddest problem with FPSE on Windows Server 2003 Std. I've
    configured an IIS server with FPSE, and I've added a username "Brian" that
    has FPSE Administrator access to the default web site using Sharepoint.

    What's weird is that if I create a web service project (using VS.NET 2003)
    from a remote machine using the FQDN of the server (like
    http://foo.bar.com/WebService1) it fails claming my username and password are
    incorrect, or that I do not have "author" permissions for the site. BUT,
    using only the hostname (like http://foo/WebService1) works great.

    Another thing is that's odd (and probably related) is that the Sharepoint
    administration pages show the server names not fully qualified (shows up as
    "foo" instead of "foo.bar.com", for instance).

    I'm totally stumped on this. Should the site urls be fully qualified in
    Sharepoint? Any help, or pointers to resources that describe the detailed
    mechanics of Sharepoint and FPSE would be appreciated.

    Cheers,

    -brian
    Brian Cuthie, Feb 21, 2005