FrontPage Extensions problems creating web servcies from VS.NET 20

Brian Cuthie

I'm having the oddest problem with FPSE on Windows Server 2003 Std. I've
configured an IIS server with FPSE, and I've added a username "Brian" that
has FPSE Administrator access to the default web site using Sharepoint.

What's weird is that if I create a web service project (using VS.NET 2003)
from a remote machine using the FQDN of the server (like
http://foo.bar.com/WebService1) it fails claming my username and password are
incorrect, or that I do not have "author" permissions for the site. BUT,
using only the hostname (like http://foo/WebService1) works great.

Another thing is that's odd (and probably related) is that the Sharepoint
administration pages show the server names not fully qualified (shows up as
"foo" instead of "foo.bar.com", for instance).

I'm totally stumped on this. Should the site urls be fully qualified in
Sharepoint? Any help, or pointers to resources that describe the detailed
mechanics of Sharepoint and FPSE would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-brian